Spotlighting with a 308

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spotlighting with a 308

    Anyone spotlight with a 308? I'm thinking of offloading my 204 to fund a proper target build, leaving me with only big stuff to spotlight with, the smallest of which is a 308. I only spotlight a few times a year, never keep meat and reload.

    Any reason I shouldn't do it? A 110gr v max sailing along at 3300+fps should be a pretty formidable pill, though I might be missing something.

    Cheers - Al

  • #2
    Provided you know the area and identify targets before firing into a safe background I don't see a problem. Be mindful of the bigger calibre and use common sense, I used to use a 6.5x55 spotlighting, just think and know your position before firing.

    Flatter country might warrant a bit more thought and planning as the bullet may have the chance to travel further if you miss, personally I'd like to have something smaller like a 22wmr or 223 to spotlight with and have the larger rifle for the odd long shot.
    Not suitable for mature audiences

    Comment


    • findingtime
      findingtime commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by several" post=32546
      Flatter country might warrant a bit more thought and planning as the bullet may have the chance to travel further if you miss, personally I'd like to have something smaller like a 22wmr or 223 to spotlight with and have the larger rifle for the odd long shot.
      Hey Several
      I would have though flatter country would be far safer to shoot in…. From a 4x4 to most Australian game is a down hill shot ( the window sill being higher from the ground than the target species ) if you miss the bullet will strike the ground no more that say 25m behind the target…. It's shooting in hilly country that you really really have to be super careful !

      FT

  • #3
    Originally posted by Alexander" post=32542
    Anyone spotlight with a 308?

    Cheers - Al
    All the time!!

    Comment


    • #4
      If you asked about a .243 using 100 gn projectiles, it would be considered a good choice by most. A .308 using 110-130 gn is almost the same.
      Should handle the bunnies ok with well placed shots :P
      I reckon go for it.

      Comment


      • #5
        iv spotlighted foxs with a 300win mag an never had a problem however i wouldn't recommend doing it alone because you would have to hold the rifle in one hand and the spotlight in the other hand an most likely the rifle will kick you in the face

        Comment


        • #6
          it would be best to ask the property owners this question for their views.
          I personally wouldn't, as its a little too hard to tell what is/isn't in the background, but also its probably going to scare more game away due to the extra noise, reducing your tally.
          many of properties I shoot on prefer a quieter round due to possibly upsetting the nearby livestock, and should you use a large round on a small animal, the rest of the bullet keeps travelling.
          but its all circumstantial I guess.

          but if its your own place in the middle of nowhere and you didn't care about the noise & ricochet,...................... I guess you could use a 505gibbs. :lol:

          edit; oops,.......... I have been known for spotlighting pigs on large stations on occasion, which was with the big stuff.
          I forgot about that sorta thing.

          Comment


          • Guest's Avatar
            Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Send-it" post=32560
            it would be best to ask the property owners this question for their views.
            I personally wouldn't, as its a little too hard to tell what is/isn't in the background, but also its probably going to scare more game away due to the extra noise, reducing your tally.
            many of properties I shoot on prefer a quieter round due to possibly upsetting the nearby livestock, and should you use a large round on a small animal, the rest of the bullet keeps travelling.
            but its all circumstantial I guess.

            but if its your own place in the middle of nowhere and you didn't care about the noise & ricochet,...................... I guess you could use a 505gibbs. :lol:
            Thanks fellas. I hadn't considered the damage/trajectory of a big pill once it passes through or misses its intended target, so that is definitely food for thought. This might be a good excuse to get out my gps gear that's linked to my laptop with high res aerial imagery. I've been thinking for a while that it might be handy in an unfamiliar paddock at night

            As for noise, I'd rather shoot my 458 without hearing protection than the 204! The crack the 204 makes vs the boom of the bigger rounds is much more unpleasant from my end!

        • #7
          Originally posted by Alexander" post=32542
          Anyone spotlight with a 308? I'm thinking of offloading my 204 to fund a proper target build, leaving me with only big stuff to spotlight with, the smallest of which is a 308. I only spotlight a few times a year, never keep meat and reload.

          Any reason I shouldn't do it? A 110gr v max sailing along at 3300+fps should be a pretty formidable pill, though I might be missing something.

          Cheers - Al
          Personally, I wouldn't sell the 204 but that is entirely up to you... I have both calibers and love em! I would try out the 308 with the 110's and if you enjoy it more then sell the 204.

          Comment


          • #8
            a bit of both really.
            flat terrain = like a coin skimming on a big flat pond.
            hillside = an embankment to shoot into. (unless you shoot over it).
            all depends on your shooting position sometimes.

            Comment


            • findingtime
              findingtime commented
              Editing a comment
              [quote="Send-it" post=32745]
              . (unless you shoot over it).

              That's the big one.

          • #9
            good choice the 308
            i,ve started using my 25/06 now.

            Comment


            • #10
              I guess it depends what you are spot lighting for?
              I have always shot bunnies and fox when out on the spot light.

              For this a 22LR or 22mag dose the trick well.
              We have used 204,223,308 and IMO they are too noisy and too smokey.

              Every thing I have shot is 150m and under, so unless the game is big whats the point of having big guns?

              JH

              Comment


              • #11
                I used to always use the 223 for spotlighting until I got the 308. If its just for 'roos and foxes I stick to the 223. When the pigs are about I take the 308. Works well on foxes too

                Comment


                • #12
                  Had to jump in on this thread... My .308 is my gun of choice when hunting in NSW for pigs, goats, cats, foxes, and whatever else....

                  Here is a couple of photos from various spotlighting sessions to answer your question+ a cat, I ahd to add that in.... (few of you may have seen these photo's in the old forums)

                  Cheers





                  Comment


                  • #13
                    When I was working on Central QLD properties I always used my 30-06 and the mates had a .270 and the other a 257 Roberts. Have you seen how high a cat jumps when hit at 50 meters with a 30-06 with 165gr? You never new what you would come across cats, foxes, wallabies, roo's (yes you could shoot them years ago), pigs, pink elephants ah that's another story.
                    “Dunno, I've never been much for guns. I mean, sure, we have the usual gun by the door, another near the TV, one in the kitchen, and another in the bedroom...and several others lying around. For the most part though, we keep our home free of guns. We are peace loving folks.”

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X