Pigs at Harvest time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pigs at Harvest time

Went to a friend’s property with my daughter (13yrs) over the weekend. The property is just west of the New England ranges (couple hun clicks away). They were just finishing off harvest and suggested it would be good if we could come and take care of their pig problem.

Took out the .223 loaded with 64gn Bergers for the kids.
    I used 22-250 and .270. I had 2 loads running on the 22-250, I had it loaded with 64gn Bergers for pigs and kept some pretty hot loaded 50gn Nosler BTs handy for small game (foxes etc) distance shots. The combo worked brilliantly. The Bergers had no dramas dropping pigs at all, small entry hole (actually very hard to find) but internally no doubt lots of damage. When we saw a fox off in distance I just top loaded a Nosler and whack it.

Both my daughter and my mates have done quite a bit of shooting and had an absolute ball knocking off pigs, rabbits and even a couple of foxes.

All up shot 16 pigs and 6 foxes (dont count bunnies/hares). The pigs there are quite skittish being accustomed to being shot at so most shots were on the run. At least there was not as much cover for them as usual as harvest was almost done. We would have got a few more without the kids and shotties, but would absolutely not trade that for quality time with the kids.

Managed to take a few photos with my phone.
    Decent size boar around 70kg shot with .270

Head shot sow

Bloody doggers must have taken the ears off this sow, she was pretty battered - prob did her a favour.

Smallish pig hiding on a ledge

Another smallish sucker half eaten after 24hrs

Sow taken on the run

A few sows in a small mob - suckers run off in long grass before we could shoot them

One of the foxes vs 50gn Nosler BT travelling almost 4000fps. I find any chest shot with this load drops them instantly.

Good work Vromme and team, your true conservationists.

Keep it up, the less ferals there are, the better.

Thanks...

Comment

Nice shootin' Vromme.

What do think has eaten the sucker? I'm guessing foxes or feral dogs, have you seen any dogs in the area?

Comment

• Vromme
        Vromme commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks guys.

Yeah I also think pigs. Havent seen any wild dogs there and the working dogs were locked up miles away. There were quite a few foxes around but prob too much of it had been eaten in a short period (24hrs - but prob eaten mainly in the night). We could have got a lot more foxes but really wanted to concentrate on the pigs.

thanks for the posting the results of the 22-250 on pigs.
      going pig hunting again soon and the 250 will be my spare rifle.
      might try some 60+gr pills in it before i go.

overkill,
      the eaten pig is from other pigs.
      yep,......they'll eat each other.
      seen it happen many a time before my very eyes.
      that's why they're called pigs.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Send-it" post=31648
        thanks for the posting the results of the 22-250 on pigs.
        going pig hunting soon and the 250 will be my spare rifle.
        might try some 60+gr pills in it before i go.

overkill,
        the eaten pig is from other pigs.
        yep,......they'll eat each other.
        seen it happen many a time before my very eyes.
        that's why they're called pigs.
        Ahh yes of course, other pigs! Don't know why I didn't think of that

good work V,

a few Kg's of pork there. and great to hear your daughter went along too.

when you say harvest what kind of crops are we talking? i've heard that pigs feeding of sorghum of grain sausages can make good eating

must be nice to know when you've shot all the pigs there will be foxes to go after

steve

Comment

• MrCarbine
        MrCarbine commented
        Editing a comment
        Simply....Good Job!!!

• Vromme
        Vromme commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by 6602steven" post=31843
        good work V,

a few Kg's of pork there. and great to hear your daughter went along too.

when you say harvest what kind of crops are we talking? i've heard that pigs feeding of sorghum of grain sausages can make good eating

must be nice to know when you've shot all the pigs there will be foxes to go after

steve
        Hi Steve,

They were finishing off harvesting wheat crops (feed for their own cattle). They have a decent piggery on one of their properties as well so have plenty of non feral pork available. I wouldnt mind going back there concentrating on foxes, they dont bait them and there seem to be a lot around. Would be great going back to all the pig carcasses now to clean some up - pity I have to work
    Working...
    X