GOAT HUNTING????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOAT HUNTING????

Anyone find that goat "hunting" is rather lame and as easy as shooting a mob of sheep.... no great amount of skill needed....
    should be called goat slaughtering not hunting, just my thoughts on it,, wondering if anyone feels the same way.

Yep but the right one can taste very nice

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Jethro Bodine" post=29432
      Yep but the right one can taste very nice
      *insert licking lips dude here*

Originally posted by BangBang77" post=29430
    Anyone find that goat "hunting" is rather lame and as easy as shooting a mob of sheep.... no great amount of skill needed....
    should be called goat slaughtering not hunting, just my thoughts on it,, wondering if anyone feels the same way.
    Apart from hares it is all I have done. Sneaking up on the goats and shooting them was pretty easy, the hard bit was climbing the rocky hills to get to the bastards! Still a nice couple of days in the bush and a good way for a newbie to learn, I can see how it might become boring though.
    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

Depends what type of Goat and where your hunting them ! Some types of goat hunting represents the most challenging hunting you'll get anywhere in the world. Think Tahr and Chamois.

Comment

Grab a bow and have a go if you wish to make it a bit more of a challenge. I know what you mean though, first time I ever shot goats I fired one round and missed at about 200m, the silly buggers all came running up the hill straight for me so I waited till they were about 10m away and unloaded a 30 shot mag into them, I got two of em
        Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by several" post=29444
          Grab a bow and have a go if you wish to make it a bit more of a challenge.
          Agree, take it on with a bow and maybe even a recurve at that. I have a mate that has shot all six species of deer with a bow. Throw in black bear, rocky mountain snow sheep, Moose, buffalo, bantang just to name a few. Makes for an impressive trophy room. Hunt with a bow for a while and they all seem easy with a rifle believe me.

depends me and a mate spend 5 days shooting goats and most of them we just drive along the track see a mob stop up get finish the can of coke and hammer them

but we came across a few that were really jumping and were off before we could even see them didn't even get time to get a shot off out of the .44

and seeing where goats like to live we had to chase one goat for 4-5ks after hitting it will the .22 (we were cleaning a track and it was the best goat of the trip and all we had was the .22) and that really wasn't easy

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Everyone to themselves......but i like going out and chasing a big spread got a 39inch bout a month ago......yeah not much for the slaughter of them tho

Goat hunting varies from dead easy to some long range good shots as well as some running shots in the scrub and crap means speed is the key and you must be ready. No time to roll a smoke and think about it all first.
        I thought the best post here was mentioning stalking and bow hunting, I don`t do it but I can see plenty of times where you can get amongst them easy enough and others when you need a lot of skill and patience to even get close.
        If they are skitty and experienced you need to know your goats and your country and see them first or its all over rover before you know it.
        That`s when the shooting them flat gallop in the sticks comes into the skill dept.
        You are best off with at least a 308 despite what you may be advised there is no substitute for a bit of extra clout then, or you will be chasing up wounded animals and that`s not easy in some spots where the spinifex and mallee is that thick a dog cant bark in it
        [center]
        Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

I have also found goats to be boringly easy to hunt... and incredibly difficult, nearly impossible to get anywhere near. Depends on so many factors that for mine it's a big call to make sweeping statements. Terrain, vegetation, water sources, hunting pressure, numbers, climate, time of year and heaps of other things I can't come up with off the cuff. I still enjoy hunting them, though I'm a bit more selective these days. And if I want a bit more of a challenge, I don't try from further away, I try to get closer. A couple of times I have got close enough to stretch out the rifle barrel and give them a poke in the rump - funny as!
          If I knew I was gonna live this long I would've taken better care of myself

Comment

most the time I like it, purely because its usually in some steep ranges and its hard work getting to them during the cooler months, as they don't really come down to water as much. more of a stealthy hike/trek through nature.
            I just hate it when they put their anti gravity boots on and go flat out vertical up the rocky hillsides.
            one thing they're good at,...is going up a hillside/mountainside.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Strange - goat is pretty well the last feral type that I haven't shot and I'd love to. Got 16 deer on my last trip to Stanthorpe, have shot pigs in the dozens, but goats I never run into....

I've only hunted them in thick scrub and its quite challenging .these ones are hunted goats and quite wary .sometimes we have come across a mob of billies butting horns .and they seem too busy fighting to notice we are shooting them dead . The most we have shot is probably 13 out of one mob . But usually its 4 or 5 its hard to find them once they get in the thick I try to track and shoot as many as I can . on my own its been 8 or 9 at most taking out a small mob over a distance through scrub of around 600 metres on foot . I usually nail a few pigs too but we have a ball shooting them goats . Sounds like the ones you shoot are tame as that would get boring they would then need to become a long range target :lol: that should even things out a little :lol:

Comment

Yep no real challenge in Goats at all - but they taste beautiful if you get one the right size
              Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

• CE
                CE commented
                Editing a comment
                I shoot goats for a high country station owner in NZ. I get dropped on a high point while the owner and my neighbour shoot them from a chopper. Most are stupid but some are clever. I have watched them run and hide in caves and under scrub when they hear the sound of the chopper. From long range they are easy as they will stick to the bluffs and cannot work out where the trouble is coming from. I got 27 from a mob of 28 one day. I could hear the last one but I just could not locate it among the dead ones at 375 yards.

Yep, piece of piss Australia wide. Similar to Donkeys, Camels and Roos (EDIT) 'in that it takes little effort besides pulling the trigger' NOT THAT DONKEY'S, CAMELS are Australia wide as one 'unit' here failed to comprehend.

If I can run down a goat with my leg speed and grapple one, shoot a billy and the whole mob stand still long enough for me to clean the whole lot up with a mag change inbetween and stalk within bow range wearing anything I want without any difficulty that to me says that they are one of the easiest animals to hunt. For some reason though, they are still fun to take down.

Comment

Yep, I feel the same, as the OP.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	BigMobSS.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	42778

Click image for larger version

Name:	BiggunsS.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	42779

Comment

Originally posted by BangBang77" post=29430
                Haha... Like i used to say about rabbits, "you don't hunt them, you just shoot them!"

I don't know enough about goats to be able to agree or disagree but i'd say it would depend on your location.
                In all my many years of trapesing around the NE Victorian ranges and a couple of years in Tas, i have seen approximately 1/2 doz goats. Wasn't looking for them, but they weren't running rampant through the scrub either. I have seen far more deer while not looking for them than i have goats. So, in that terrain i would say goats take some hunting. Go to some areas slightly west into semi arid zones of NW Vic or SA, etc, i'd say things are different and it might be more a case of just going goat shooting rather than goat hunting.

Cheers

Gwion

PS: never seen camels or donkeys in Vic or Tas, either, so certainly not Australia wide!
                List to tick off:
                - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
                - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
                - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
                - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
                - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
                - Comp dies for 7mm-08
                - Case annealer
                - Custom dies for wild cat

Comment

On foot up in the hills can be very challenging. Thick scrub and rocky terrain is a goats playground on one block I hunt. But get a mob of billys at the right time and they would rather fight amongst themselves than worry about their mates dropping around them :lol:

Comment

Guest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yep I have to agree that it depends where you hunt them - there are spots on one property I go to where you can just drive around looking for nannies and small meat goats on the flats in the afternoons - then just stop the car and either stalk up to them and take a 100m shot or shoot them from the car at 400m. the same property has a heavily wooded section that backs onto a steep mountain and there are bigger billies which are bloody hard to get a clean shot at (and basically impossible to retrieve if you get one) - those are all close range shots around 50-100m
                Working...
                X