Yesterdays Varminting Session (.204ruger)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterdays Varminting Session (.204ruger)

Gday,

Thought I'd do a little write up on yesterday arvos varmint session, especially for all you .204 lovers..... I have a property not too far out of Melbourne where I am asked to feral eradication, so whenever I can get out there I try my best.. Sometimes its the .22lr, sometimes the old Shotty and sometimes varmint shooting with my .204 or my best mates .220swift... The style of hunting is usually determined by the flora conditions and in this case I wanted to get one more varminting session in before the grass gets to high, then it's time for the shotttys.

The conditions were not ideal for the .204 as there was a stiff 15-20 knot breeze blowing most of the day and it did not let up in the afternoon but what the hell anyway.
    My best mate, cousin and I arrived on the property about 3pm with our aim being to sit and glass around looking for bunnies ready to come out for their arvo feed.

We were well equipped, my cousin had his Leica Ultravid 8x42 and my mate had our Swarovski EL 10x42 with range finder binos.. Rifle of choice was my Tikka Varmint Stainless fitted with a Night force 5.5-22x50.....

Load for the day was
    Hornady Brass
    39gr SBK
    28gr AR 2206h
    CCI BR4 Primer
    COAL 1.935" to Ogive

... My mate loves to spot so Im happy to shoot First few bunnies were shot between 100-200yds mainly to see what the wind would do the bullet at those distances before trying to reach out beyond 200yds. After 6 rabbits or so I was surprised at how little the bullet was affected by the wind... We were shooting from a direct head wind to about 70 degrees.

After getting my eye in I started reaching out to 250yds with a confirmed hit at 252 yds. I had the rifle sighted smack in the bulls eye at 100yds and at 250yds I only gave the turret 1 click up.

Best part of the days shoot was getting my PB in distance on a rabbit. After 29 rabbits the longest confirmed kill was 278yds and by this stage I was fairly confident with every shot.

Light was fading and my mate spotted a bunny sitting out on the flats and he ranged it at 333yds... From the prone position I took my time thinking about the distance and wind, luckily the wind was on our back so my focus was on bullet drop. I gave the turret 6 clicks up, held the crosshairs on the right shoulder as the bunny was facing quartered the wrong way so a head shot was not available. I squeezed the 1lb 12oz trigger and BINGO the rabbit flopped.

When I got to the bunny the bullet entered right behind the shoulder and exited out the base of the neck.. I was pretty impressed!!

here is a series of photos my cousin took on the day of my mate and I glassing and shooting rabbits, the second last photo shows some bunnies after one of our shoots. We usually collect after shooting 6 or so, otherwise we forget where they are..

The last photo if you can make it out is my mates out of focused head and me standing 333yds away holding up the 30th rabbit and my PB for Varmint shooting...

Enjoy

MODS PLEASE MOVE THIS TO HUNTING... STUFFED IF I KNOW HOW IT ENDED UP IN THE WELCOME MAT, I STARTED THE TOPIC IN THE HUNTING SECTION....

CHEERS

nice work butta.
    honestly,...ya gotta love days like that.
    good weather, good company, good targets.

unless you're a rabbit. :lol:

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mate, buggered if in know how it ended up in the welcome mat.................

Nice pics

I thought when hunting it was wrong to place yourself on a ridge and create a silhouette?
    Are the bunnies less weary of hunters?

JH

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Gday John,

At that stage of the afternoon we were looking for rabbits beyond 200 yds with a direct head wind so noise or scent and I suppose at that distance we'd look like part of the rock... I would never silhouette myself whistling foxes for example.

Cheers

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by John23" post=28900
      Nice pics

I thought when hunting it was wrong to place yourself on a ridge and create a silhouette?

JH
      LOL John - he's 200yds away - I don't think rabbits have that good an eyesight mate.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by John23" post=28900
      Nice pics

JH
      Would depend on sun direction I suppose but I recon that's a awesome position, looks like you woe have 360 degree views!

Can I ask why the muzzle break on a 204???
    I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Gday Super,

I should keep the answer to this question and just paste it in as I get asked that so often.

I wanted all the help I can get in obtaining the best from this rifle. The recoil is non-existent and my crosshairs do not move off target at all. I find this a big help when shooting out to distance and when doing group shooting...

Here is a couple of 5 shot groups I did last time I was out before I went on a hunt..... Best is about .1MOA so I feel that it helps me...

Cheers..

'Coz he can

Steve

Comment

Yeah well done, awesome answer.... I'm not trying to hang shit on him, it's a genuine question....
      I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Love ya work Butta, the pics are brilliant. I'm hangin to get out and do the same myself, bloody weathers been a bit ordinary here lately - it will happen though! :lol:
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

G'Day Butta,

I have a question regarding my 204 and the reason behind your installation of a muzzle break. My 204 is a T3 Lite so you already have a .5 Kg weight difference, but were you experiencing vertical jump? I have noticed on mine that I experience quite a bit, jumping off the target and having to re-acquire it again. Maybe I need one as well...

Thanks, Rob.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Gday Rob,

To be honest with you I never fired my rifle without the brake. As soon as I purchased the rifle, it was off to the smithy......... I read a lot from the Americans that they were braking their .204's and recoil was basically non-existant.

I can tell you that recoil on my rifle is non-existent and I have to admit I believe the brake has helped me a lot with accuracy and successful varmint shoots.

My best mate has a .220swifft which we have both shot extensively before he put a brake on that too. Recoil is now down to a .22mag-.223 or there abouts. Also there is absolutely no barrel whip and can easily hold on target after the shot.

Only down side is the noise transfer, earmuffs is an absolute must even in the field.

Hope I have been of some help...

By putting the brake on and working the triggers on both rifles they really are superb to shoot.

do you suffer from the same thing i do?
          such as;
          coz me bullets are goin' so quick, e.g 4000fps, if i blink (not flinch) as the shot goes off, the bullet gets there quicker than my eye re-opens.
          hence i occasionally miss sighting the impact.

Comment

Working...
          X