Wild dogs....N/E Vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild dogs....N/E Vic

Coming back from a party in Gippsland land last night I was on my way through Omeo, N/E Vic this morning and came across this farm fence.

The dog fence.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0057.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	41547

And a fresh one.

Name:	DSC_0058.JPG
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	41548

This farm appears to have a wild dog problem like many farms around here. If you're interested in shooting wild dogs these could be the properties to approach.

In the meantime show us a dog fence.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Whoops wrong category, might have to put it in off topic or something mods.

Comment

Looks like around $1300 worth of skins there

Comment

• MrCarbine
        MrCarbine commented
        Editing a comment
        I am not sure it's a good idea to hang dead animals on the fence like that.

I have to agree it is not a good idea to hang them on the fence. I am farmer and I have no love for wild dogs but unfortunately in the world we live in today we have to be careful not to offend the all powerful l"Greens" . I don't like any more then you guys but the shooting community does not need another live export debacle.

Comment

• Sambar Country
        Sambar Country commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by KDan" post=28387
        I have to agree it is not a good idea to hang them on the fence. I am farmer and I have no love for wild dogs but unfortunately in the world we live in today we have to be careful not to offend the all powerful l"Greens" . I don't like any more then you guys but the shooting community does not need another live export debacle.
        It shows the "greenies" what they, the farmers, have to deal with daily. The dogs are an established pest animal in Vic.

"Under the Catchment and Land Protection Act all landowners have a responsibility to prevent the spread of, and as far as possible eradicate, established pest animals from their land.".....DPI.

I am sure most farmers would rather be asleep at night than go out spotlighting for dogs during lambing or calving. Why should they waste diesel in a backhoe or tractor to bury these pests. They are trying to run a business and survive like the rest of us....not give pests a burial with all the trimmings.

The vast majority of farmers, myself included couldn't give a toss if it's "not a good look". These dogs and foxes are costing us dearly, not to mention the cruelty involved.

These vermin are shot on our properties and hung on our fences. This is not about being a LAFO, its our lives, part of which is shooting pests.
      There is not a single day that I don't have a firearm with me when around the place.
      Some things will never be understood by all.

I'll stop now, before I get banned

Comment

One more thing, I don't see any deer hunters burying the carcass after taking the cape or legs, backstraps. And it is not a requirement to do so.

Comment

• Gwion
          Gwion commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't get me wrong, Sambar. I wasn't inferring that deer should be buried just saying that carcasses are left to the elements, flies, ants and dogs.

I don't have a problem hanging foxes & dogs from fences, but i grew up with it. Some people would argue that there are plenty of fences that aren't on the main road, though, as it is just plain ugly.

Cheers
          Gwion

• WhelanLad
          WhelanLad commented
          Editing a comment
          nah found a dead hind off a track today, no meat missing at all, 4 legs an backstraps wernt cut... been there a little bit smelling quite ripe...

wl

long story short,....
        if you're hunting on private property,.............we should dispose of the carcasses as per the property owners/managers wishes. Period.
        they're the ones who have to live there.
        obviously if there's no real politics or 'sensitive' people in the area, they may not care what you do with it.
        my 2 cents.

Comment

Some farmers will agree and part take in the practice, some won't. Some shooters may not be fazed with the look and some may not care for it. All here who farm, whether it be full time or part time, know of the plight with pests and it's control.

Recently I listened to a farmer who steered (mind the pun) away from sheep and breeding in particular, not only due to drought but also a most beautiful pest that were plentiful on this particular station... Eagles. For the last few years he's been farming a most persistent pest seen all throughout rural Australia and the Outback... 'Grey Nomads' for farm stays. :lol:

Like with any conversation to do with any sort of pest, GOD has found any debate on control and it's need for, can always be won hands down by shooters and farmers.
          "If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

Comment

Here's a couple I found on the net.

N/E Vic

Name:	r577696_3610765.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	42006

QLD

Name:	4691668-16x9-700x394.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	42007

Comment

• Gindu-wan Kanobi
              Gindu-wan Kanobi commented
              Editing a comment
              Ive seen the story online from which the top pic is lifted from. The bloke reckons his sheep trot back to the shed be locked away every night.
          Working...
          X