Calling Out the Cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Out the Cats

We have a few cats on our property and was wondering if i might be able to whistle them up with my old school fox whistle?

Any tips as to how to bring the little darlings out into the open. I know one lives in the hay shed but don't want to put holes in the colour bond.

Baits? Other calling methods?

Cheers

Gwion
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

a distressed bird call of some type also gets there attention.

Comment

• jasmay
      jasmay commented
      Editing a comment
      Not saying all cats are good, but once upon a time farmers would keep one or two around to keep vermin and snakes down, especially in there hay shed.... Just saying.....

Of course, those ferals in the paddock generally need a good thinning!!!

What about a food bait? Others use traps with food baits, but you could lay something and spot the area if you really want to shoot...

torment a guinea pig and record the sound they love that sound

Comment

Have you tried "meow"? :lol:

No,…seriously,
      Last time I seen a cat in the spotlight, that was the only way it would look at me.

Comment

• kram
        kram commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Send-it" post=27667
        Have you tried "meow"? :lol:

No,…seriously,
        Last time I seen a cat in the spotlight, that was the only way it would look at me.
        Yep, just mimmic the cat sound and 7 times out of ten you will see them look towards the light.

Cat nip in a pot plant works wonders... Its like coke (the drug not the drink) for cats... You can move it around and they will find it... Wacking a F'ed up kitty can be harder than you think...
      Tinned tuna on the fence post... They squat down to jump up to eat and you get a good amount of time to shoot them...

A good one I found out about the other day if you have chooks is the old chicken cup call... We used to make them when I was a kid... A plastic disposable cup, some wool and a piece of foam (link like the link)... The farther in law used one to call in 2 cats and a fox that killed 6 of his chooks in the last couple weeks...

Rodent calls can work also...

Comment

If proximity to buildings is an issue just put out a trap baited with anchovies or similar. Once caught they can be taken to a suitable location and shot or disposed of however you wish.
        I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

I've had them come in to the fox whistle many times. Gotta keep your eyes open though, often you don't even know they've come in until you see them sneekin away.

Mark.

Comment

• Gwion
            Gwion commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for all the tips.

I'll try "here kitty kitty" and see how i go! :P

I have friends that trap them but it can take a week to get them any where near the trap (cage trap with sardine bait).
            Too many native small mammals around to let the cat's run free, snake catchers or not.
            So many cats in the area.

Anyhoo. I'll update to let you know how i go.

Cheers

Gwion

************************************************** ************************

I don't have any trouble finding cats around my place.
          The b*st*rds sit at my door waiting for food, water and shelter.

There's very little I can do about it.
          Council has advised to buy a trap and catch it.

Then off to the Vet for further action.
          It very frustrating and a quicker method is preferred.

Thanks...

************************************************** ***************************

Comment

• Gwion
            Gwion commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Maverick" post=27719

Maveric, a pet is not just for Christmas, you know! :P

Seriously, though poison is no good, too many native carnivores.

"Tormenting" a guinie pig.... ummm... pass.

I'll try my old style fox whistle (two pieces of shotgun brass) first. Failing that, i'll try the reed caller.
            I know someone with a bunch of game cameras, so i'll set some up for a week or so first, suss out the patterns and then try out the new lighting on my .223rem.

Thanks for the tips.

Gwion

• kram
            kram commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Maverick" post=27719
            ************************************************** ************************

There's very little I can do about it.
            Council has advised to buy a trap and catch it.

Then off to the Vet for further action.
            It very frustrating and a quicker method is preferred.

Thanks...

Yeah trap is the way to go mate.I have a rope attached to the top of mine so I can pull it back out of the Dam/pool (depending on where I am) it's not worth the cost of a decent bit of lead, or a trip to the vet!

I always find this problem unusual you see in america i owned 2 acres and all my neighbors were cornfields. I only bought 1 cat, to handle the mouse/RAT problem. This of course turned into 20 cats, but we have a severe winter that always thinned the population no matter how much feed I put out. and we had dangerous ferals (to a cat) like wolf or bobcat and some of my cats would always mess with something bigger then them. So I can see how here your cat problem would get silly quickly, but you can't do nothing. Traping and taking to the vet, you might as well laugh at them. No poison was the method of extermination in the states. Would that work here? or are there little animals that would eat that bait? One thing I know is that slug gun is not really enough to handle a full grown cat you need a 22 really.
          "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm big on the idea of calls if you can record the guinea pig squeal post it! Im thinking a cat call will call foxes too, maybe a fox call won't call cats?
            I read were cats can hear ultra sound, and I'm still interested in a 'dog whistle' fox/cat call, high pitch so we can't hear it, leave a recording going for ages then!

Click image for larger version

Name:	24.8.13003.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	41117
        Working...
        X