This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 ftlbs

I've just been briefly looking into minimum calibre requirements for sambar deer and am quite confused, it is legal to hunt sambar with a .38 special but not a 6.5x.284? I was thinking (can be dangerous sometimes) would it not be appropriate for the calibre restriction to be changed to say that all cartridges that are capable of producing 2000ftlbs of muzzle energy for example. Just a thought.
    Cheers portaggression

That's just an old loop hole that goes way back. It was so that cops could defend themselves against rogue Sambar.

Comment

• Shotgunner
      Shotgunner commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Snag" post=26083
      That's just an old loop hole that goes way back. It was so that cops could defend themselves against rogue Sambar.
      You mean Sambar Country when he is rowdy after after a big night on the turps? I've heard he is a pushover, requires no more than a good tasering

(just jokes Sambar, I couldn't resist!0

I don't know anything about hunting Sambar deer but I do know that two cartridges that produce 2000 foot pounds at the muzzle will almost certainly produce differing energy levels at say 100 yards, 200 yards, 500 yards etc. This is because the retained energy of a bullet depends on a number of factors, such as ballistic coefficient and bullet weight. As soon as the bullet leaves the muzzle the effects of the differing bullets bullets kick in and the performance varies.
    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

I'd have to agree with you about ballistics however how many sambar are taken at over 200 yards by "amateur" hunters. The minimum accepted energy to take an elk(similar size animal to sambar) in the US is 1000ftlbs of energy on impact. I don't know of too many cartridges that start at the muzzle with 2000ftlbs and have less than 1000ftlbs at 200 yards

Comment

Originally posted by portaggression" post=26077
        I've just been briefly looking into minimum calibre requirements for sambar deer and am quite confused, it is legal to hunt sambar with a .38 special but not a 6.5x.284? I was thinking (can be dangerous sometimes) would it not be appropriate for the calibre restriction to be changed to say that all cartridges that are capable of producing 2000ftlbs of muzzle energy for example. Just a thought.
        Cheers portaggression
        WILDLIFE (GAME) REGULATIONS 2012 (SR NO 99 OF 2012) - REG 34

Approved methods for hunting deer (other than Hog Deer, Chital Deer or Fallow Deer)
        r. 34

A person must not hunt, take or destroy deer (other than Hog Deer, Chital Deer or Fallow Deer) other than by the use of—

(a) a firearm that is a centre-fire rifle having a calibre of not less than 6·85 mm (0·270"), with a projectile weight of not less than 8·45 grams (130 grains); or

Rifle......not a handgun.
        I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• portaggression
          portaggression commented
          Editing a comment
          My mate has a Rossi m92 chambered in .38 special/.357 magnum I just assumed it was a rifle and according to the Victorian regulations able to be used to legally take sambar deer which I would personally not use for anything larger than a small goat, I probably could've used a better example for the calibre say a .300 blackout.

It's a dumb rule ! They just decided to draw a line in the sand , if your above it well and good , below it your in the shite... It wont be based on any research or data as any shooter know's that caliber is only a small part of the equation ( the 300 blackout is a perfect example ) There are plenty of caliber/bullet combinations below the line that would take Sambar easily and ethically but you'll be in trouble if you get caught. As i said it's a dumb rule made by dumb people and i really don/t know why Victorian shooters put up with it. I think it would be far better if they made the average hunter think about what he's shooting and why rather than just think that he's got a legal caliber so what he does from then on ( bullet choice , shot placement etc ) will be sweet .

Ft

Comment

there used to be a min case length of 50mm but they dropped it because of the short magnums

Comment

When I moved to Victoria I didn't have a legal rifle to get amongst the sambar. My trusty 6.5x55 which had done everything I'd asked of it for decades up to then wasn't legal. So I had to buy another rifle - great! Where's the problem with having more rifles?
            If I knew I was gonna live this long I would've taken better care of myself

Comment

• Shotgunner
              Shotgunner commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by RockRanger" post=27772
              When I moved to Victoria I didn't have a legal rifle to get amongst the sambar. My trusty 6.5x55 which had done everything I'd asked of it for decades up to then wasn't legal. So I had to buy another rifle - great! Where's the problem with having more rifles?
              The problem comes for those who can't afford it or just don't want to unnecessarily waste money.

ax338.....your .300 WM is just another .30 cal among the many. It is no big deal. You look stupid trying to big note yourself just because you have one. Plenty of of other calibers around with far more recoil than one of them. A .300 WM is not a big kicker. You do really have one don't you?

Comment

• ax338
              ax338 commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=29152
              ax338.....your .300 WM is just another .30 cal among the many. It is no big deal. You look stupid trying to big note yourself just because you have one. Plenty of of other calibers around with far more recoil than one of them. A .300 WM is not a big kicker. You do really have one don't you?
              lol a 300 winmag is nothing to bignote about and yes I really have one in blaser r93 and ive even got bigger lol and I suppose recoil comes down to the weight of your rifle, and load .but everyone should use whatever there comfortable with..... what do you use??

• MrCarbine
              MrCarbine commented
              Editing a comment
              Look folks, it does not matter that in other jurisdictions you can take large deer with a 243 or more. In Victoria (Ned Kelly country) large deer wear body armor and you need a 270 or bigger to defeat it. Live with it!!

There are a heap of dogs legal for deer hunting. Look up Victorian Wildlife (Game) Regulations 2012. They are available online.

If you are really a hunter in Victoria you should know this. You must know what is in these regs to hunt deer legally. They came out last year and I refer to them all the time.

Comment

• ax338
              ax338 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well ok ive only ever been with beagles since foxhounds were banned and even had beagles scrutinized because a couple were too tall

• ax338
              ax338 commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=29279
              There are a heap of dogs legal for deer hunting. Look up Victorian Wildlife (Game) Regulations 2012. They are available online.

If you are really a hunter in Victoria you should know this. You must know what is in these regs to hunt deer legally. They came out last year and I refer to them all the time.
              sorry im only a plumber but I hope to be a hunter like you one day

I don't believe dogs are in relation to the original O.P

we do have a pooch section though.

Comment

ax338, you should show us all a pic of your Blaser R93 .300WM.

Comment

• ax338
                ax338 commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=29291
                ax338, you should show us all a pic of your Blaser R93 .300WM.
                no problem just read your post you probably already seen it on the old site but ill put it up again for ya in the morning with a special extra cheers

As somebody with absolutely no experience deer hunting but I hope the occasional bit of common sense forming between my ears, the odd thing about this rule seems to me that it is only applied from deer. Apparently in Victoria I could sit up in a tree with my .22LR and injure passing scrub bulls and brumbies all day long and not suffer any consequences, but drop bambi with a centrefire round through the heart that is deemed .2mm too narrow and I'm in the shit. Like anybody I think deer are cute, but I don't get why they get this "special" treatment over mother nature's other animals. Seems a bit silly to me .
              "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

• Sambar Country
                Sambar Country commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Shotgunner" post=29314
                As somebody with absolutely no experience deer hunting but I hope the occasional bit of common sense forming between my ears, the odd thing about this rule seems to me that it is only applied from deer. Apparently in Victoria I could sit up in a tree with my .22LR and injure passing scrub bulls and brumbies all day long and not suffer any consequences, but drop bambi with a centrefire round through the heart that is deemed .2mm too narrow and I'm in the shit. Like anybody I think deer are cute, but I don't get why they get this "special" treatment over mother nature's other animals. Seems a bit silly to me .
                Because it's the law.

And we can hunt them in State Forests and National Parks too.

Here's what else to say.
              This thread is only 1% away from being locked by this here topic mod, due to too many entries having nothing to do with the original OP's question!!!!

Comment

Well for the record if i was to get out from behind my keyboard and head to the Victorian Hills for a Sambar hunt i would take the .270 , or the .308 or 7-08 or even the 7RM {if i wanted to take some cross gully [email protected] shots} , But i still believe it's a stupid rule but i'm used to obeying stupid rules imposed by Governments i do how ever have a problem with so called experienced shooters justifying these ridiculous rules.... So yes i believe they should change the rules some what but weather that is to a 2000 f/lb's rule or some other means i think it should be looked at .

Here's a little pic of a rifle very capable of producing 2000 f/lb's , and one i would happily take sambar hunting. Oh and look it also happens to have a dog in it......

Comment

• WhelanLad
                  WhelanLad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  CE-
                  I guide people onto deer mate, So aslong as they have bigger than a 270 with 130gr projectiles im happy to exchange money for hunting in sambar country..
                  as per fallow hunts well that's a .243 job an up.

unfortunately I don't test them for marksmanship, but with things goin the way they are, maybe its not a bad idea after all.... eg- running moose target in Norway/Sweden

in regards to the way I yelled out , it just pissed me off to read some of the 'stuff' I was reading... verbal diahorrea .. so I let yas have it.

cheers
                  WL
              Working...
              X