Skinny Vixen - pups should turn up soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinny Vixen - pups should turn up soon

Havent had much luck on whistle or caller still so went out the other night. Not many foxes around on a property where there can be many. Saw 2 definates and possibly another 1 or 2 all night. Shot 1. This scanky skinny vixen. She had milk but was in poor condition. There must have been a den with pups around somewhere.

Wont be long till pups show up and Mums and Dads should be a bit more responsive to calls.

Anyone seeing any pups around yet?.

Haven't seen pups much, but did see their tracks & paw prints around a bit on last weekends varmint session.
    they'll be out there.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Saw 2 pups the other night, smallest I have ever seen outside of a den. Will clean them up tomorrow I expect,as they led me to their den and after an early morning wait and watch followed by an evening of the same thing their parents are no longer with us..

I got two pups last weekend and one the weekend before.

Guys I know out north of adelaide have just started shooting good numbers, pups and very skinny adults have been on the menu for the last 2 weeks. They are seeing good numbers again.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by SilverBack" post=25133
      I got two pups last weekend and one the weekend before.

Guys I know out north of adelaide have just started shooting good numbers, pups and very skinny adults have been on the menu for the last 2 weeks. They are seeing good numbers again.
      The pups from the den, sorry for taking so long to upload pics, picked em up on an early morning hunt, still haven't gotten the third pup we are in the middle of baling so haven't had a chance, anyway the size of my boot is a uk 13/eur 48 to give idea of size.

So they are definitely out and about out this way!

So if you get chance get out there.. Also had success with the tenterfield getting last years pups esp. The young males.

andy bang flop,

looks like they went........................bang,.........flop.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Send-it" post=27086
      andy bang flop,

looks like they went........................bang,.........flop.
      yep..well kinda.. .223 so more thwock splat but yeah..

They are definately out and about now, got reports from hay contractors that they've been seeing pups regularly even in the middle of the day.

Looks like quite a few turning up. Still havent seen any in my parts (New England NSW). They may be a little later around these parts as it is quite a bit colder than most of Aus, still having frequent morning frosts!

Thought Id give it a try again yesterday arvo/night on a decent cattle property (did fox bait earlier this year). Only saw 1 fox. Used a red filter over Powa Beam spotty and it worked a charm. Fox wouldnt sit still, ignored whistle and had no idea I was there. Had light on him for quite some time hoping for him to stop trotting around. Eventually took a shot as he was walking toward me. 22-250 cleaned him up instantly at around 300m (was only 103m when I paced it out - must take smaller steps next time )

Comment

Spotlighting last night, came across three pups all up and one adult. Two of the pups were out mauling a lizard together, the other was found in pretty dense shrub by himself. Apologies for the poor quality photos. Have a couple of other properties lined up in the coming weeks so looking forward seeing some more around.

One taken with the 223, and the others met their end with the humble 17hmr. No prizes for correct guesses here!!

Comment

Working...
      X