.222 vs 308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .222 vs 308

In Australia will a .222 fill the entire need of a hunter or is the bigger 300 series round sometimes necessary. Is there legal issues in Australia which require the bigger caliber for certain game. or will the smaller more accurate round be good enough for all hunting needs in Australia. I ask because I am an american who has not yet hunted in Aus and I am just now getting some firepower due to the Obvious and painful nature of the legal paperwork her in Aus (insert groan here). Any how I am ready to do some fairly serious hunting, but I will only be able to get the ONE caliber. Sucks to be honest but this is the monetary constraint at the moment.

opinions, comments, ideas, I don't mind a general winge so long as you tell me who it is who is wingeing. If you are a professional, or just a hobbyist or a good Hobbyist.
    "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Rabbits foxes 222
    Anything bigger 308

Comment

There are minimum caliber requirements for certain species of game, mainly being deer check your state laws but a .308 should cover all your bases although overkill for foxes and rabbits (is there such a thing?)

Regards Byron

Comment

the 2 rounds are chalk n cheese.
        look at it this way;

the 222/223 sized shell is good for animals up to wild dogs,
        the 243 is good for medium sized deer / goats / pigs,
        308 and upwards is good for deer, goats, pigs, small buffalo (up close perhaps).

naturally,....the bigger the animal, the bigger the gun / bullet needs to be.
        and remember, if it doesn't drop the animal within a few yards of it being shot, its likely it wasn't up to the task.

there will be lots of different opinions though.

Comment

I will keep my mouth shut and just say if you want have a go at everything a .30 cal is the go I reckon. From rabbits, pigs to large game. Recoil isn't too much of a drama. There are a few .30 calibers suitable including the magnums. That's if you only want one rifle.
          I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• Send-it
            Send-it commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=23086
            if you want have a go at everything a .30 cal is the go I reckon.

although that is very true, whenever we've had strangers shooting on our families properties, we've always been very concerned about if shots don't go as planned, where will that bigger bullet continue flying?
            when shooting small game use a small bullet (within reason). = less likely to continue through the animal heading off on a mission somewhere, such as livestock in the background, tanks etc.
            this doesn't usually get considered enough by inexperienced hunters.
            just an opinion from a property owners point of view.

I would suggest .308 IF you really can only have/afford one rifle.
          Will kill most things that you are allowed/need to shoot
          .222 Pushing it to use it for pigs/deer sized game
          .22 centrefires are great for the varmint class game/ferals but are NOT suitable for large stuff.

We have enough dramas with the "Anti's" without being accused of leaving wounded animals dying in the bush from using underpowered calibres.
          [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
          [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
          [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
          [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
          [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Regarding 'how far the bullet may travel if they miss'

If you consider this

Average height of barrel when in the standing off hand position is 175cm, an average .308 shooting an average weight projectile (168g) will drop 187cm at 600 yards assuming the rifle is parallel to the ground.

I was looking at my .22 Winchester Z box the other day "Dangerous to within 1 mile" Bawahahaaaa! As if!

A 222 was my only rifle for years when I was a young hunter and I had no problem with it stopping pigs and goats. Only my opinion but I think shot placement has as much to do with the quality of the kill as the caliber of the rifle. I have seen steers shot for slaughter with a .22 same with pigs admittedly not at 100 yards but the shot was precisely placed.
          Just my opinion

Comment

Not taking into account my ability to shot and the shot opportunity that I get, I have the ruger 77/357 for close work. I like this rifle. I have not been shooting for a few years and I have a son turning 17this year so its a great for bringing out those skills weather you use to have them (8 years is a long time but it seems some of those skills are still there) or you never had them like my son. Its like a 22 with attitude it will drop most things inside its range limitation but don't go hunting bear or moose. So the question becomes the one versatile hunting round to buy to do everything else. So if the .222 is not legally or realistically big enough for deer sized game then I will have to get something bigger even if accuracy becomes a question it is one that I will have to find an answer for. Thank you for your good responses and the time it took you to give this good advise.
            "He got the whole nine yards" - as it happens World War II (1939–1945) aircraft machine gun belts (US 50 cal) were nine yards long.

Comment

of course if I win the lottery tomorrow its 50 cal all the way. I have always wanted to see whats left of a rabbit after you hit him with a 50 cal. Purely as a scientific experiment of course :P (and a dinner experiment but don't tell PETA) :lol:

Comment

• shooter3975
                shooter3975 commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Laflamme" post=23177
                of course if I win the lottery tomorrow its 50 cal all the way. I have always wanted to see whats left of a rabbit after you hit him with a 50 cal. Purely as a scientific experiment of course :P (and a dinner experiment but don't tell PETA) :lol:
                Not very bloody much I'm tipping...

Maybe not as much damage as one would hope for. (Hard projectiles)
              But a 50cal would be fun anyway.
              Especially from your Humvee that you get from the lotto

Comment

• Laflamme
                Laflamme commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by Send-it" post=23455
                Maybe not as much damage as one would hope for. (Hard projectiles)
                But a 50cal would be fun anyway.
                Especially from your Humvee that you get from the lotto
                YES somebody understands. I would get plain silly on my 1000 acres after I win the lotto. It would be hard though I would have to convince them (the car company) to put a ring mount in the roof of my air conditioned hummer. (I'm a hopeless fool) :lol: but thank you all for your posts on my original subject and for the humor. (it is humor by the way)

I have a 222 and a 308 I would recommend both for shooting in Australia depends what you are going to shoot

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                why not split the difference and go a 270? small enough for rabbits{ only a little pink mist } and large enough for deer,pigs ect. you would only need a 50cal for sambar as they wear bullet proof vests :P

I am a big fan of 6.5x55 as an all-rounder. Good ballistics and low recoil with a .256" projectile. There is no perfect answer to your question however there is no shortage of options either.

Comment

• findlay13
                findlay13 commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by dessy" post=24684
                I am a big fan of 6.5x55 as an all-rounder. Good ballistics and low recoil with a .256" projectile. There is no perfect answer to your question however there is no shortage of options either.
                +1 for the 6.5 x55 My favourite.But although they shoot a lot of Elk in Scandinavia with the 6.5x55 ,it's not legal for Sambar . So a 30.06 /308 or even bigger for Big Stuff[Sambar ,Scrub bulls etc.] a .223/222 for Fox and Wabbits.22 RF is always handy for so I'm up to 4 already.Throw in a 12 gauge,that's 5 . and plus,and plus a......

Narrowed to one I guess the .308 can be loaded down enough for Wascally Wabbits and is enough for everything else.Still Love my 6.5x55 though!

Laflamme

Where are you going to be based when in Australia ? It a big place and this will have a significant impact on your choice. There's this tiny little part of the country where they control how you shoot ... it about the size of a average northern cattle station but is very much over represented when it comes to rifle selection in this country and advice given on our forums . The people of that small spot on the map have a fairly high opinion of there game species and there hills for that matter ( they refer to them as "Alps" ) and believe nothing short of a cannon is the correct caliber . So if you heading toward this small fly spec you'll have to get the .308 but if your heading further north the choice open's up significantly and they tend to let the hunter decide which caliber he would prefer to shoot with.... Much smarter in my opinion but hey maybe these southerners were terrible at caliber selection so the Government did it for them.. Governments like to make decisions for us , the trick is not to let them ! But i digress Laflamme back to the original question ... Where will you be heading when you come down under !

FT

Comment

• Snag
                Snag commented
                Editing a comment
                Come in Sambar '06.
                Over

Do you read me?
                Over

Come in Sambar '06.
                Over

• Laflamme
                Laflamme commented
                Editing a comment
                Originally posted by findingtime" post=24954
                Laflamme

Where are you going to be based when in Australia ? It a big place and this will have a significant impact on your choice. There's this tiny little part of the country where they control how you shoot ... it about the size of a average northern cattle station but is very much over represented when it comes to rifle selection in this country and advice given on our forums . The people of that small spot on the map have a fairly high opinion of there game species and there hills for that matter ( they refer to them as "Alps" ) and believe nothing short of a cannon is the correct caliber . So if you heading toward this small fly spec you'll have to get the .308 but if your heading further north the choice open's up significantly and they tend to let the hunter decide which caliber he would prefer to shoot with.... Much smarter in my opinion but hey maybe these southerners were terrible at caliber selection so the Government did it for them.. Government like to make decisions for us , the trick is not to let them ! But i digress Laflamme back to the original question ... Where will you be heading when you come down under !

FT
                okay thats funny there. That is my kind of humor. Okay I am planning to live sort of rural like oakey or goondiwindi, maybe mareeba or atherton. It will depend on the job. Who is hiring a pharmacist and where will my wife allow me to live. I hate the big city. (i do hope sambar is a good humor)

hi I have both calibers but both are only as good as the projectile being used

Comment

My .223 is mainly for the back of the truck and that is the way I would treat a .222. The ability to accurately place head shots within spotlighting ranges means I can take a bunny to eat without blowing it to bits, cats and foxes, and pigs if I ever see one.

During the day on foot it is 30 cal or shotgun, depending on the circumstances. The reasoning is that I'd be more pissed if I lost a big animal because I was under gunned than overkilling a more numerous smaller one.
                "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

Working...
                X