Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox bait?

Hi everyone,

I just had my second fox incident in as many weeks. I keep chickens and there are always foxes hanging around. Today I chased a fox with one of my chooks in his mouth - fortunately he dropped the chook and ran off.

I live in a semi-built up area so I will have to leave the .222 in the safe. I bought a fox trap and am wondering what would be the best thing to use as bait? I am guessing some raw chicken?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Cheers

Andrew

Yep, chicken, and if that doesn't work, spread some peanut butter on the chicken.

Comment

BBQ chook will work a treat , wire the carcass down in the trap.

Comment

A roast chook carcass (with a bit of meat still on it) should work.

My Uncle used to set rabbit traps around one on the farm and regularly caught foxes just metres from the farmhouse yard.
        This post may be fact or opinion, it is up to you to decide which.

Comment

What sort of fox trap mate, cage or foothold? Liver treats work well for the foot hold type as does a lot of the fox scent type things that are available from places that sell fox and dog traps. Cage ones I guess chicken, cat food etc would all work, ol foxy ain't too fussy really.
          Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Someone on the other site said FIGS, also if its a container trap, maybe a very small bird cage inside the trap with the roast chook inside that so they can't actually get to it, maybe catch more that one!

Foxes will eat just about anything including all sorts of windfall fruit.
          They will eat big bush Cockroaches and some times if they get a gut full too many you can see where they have spewed them up again.
          For a bit of research we used to open thier gut when we shot some and its nothing to find various insects ? grasshoppers or locusts / small birds legs and bones/ lizards and skinks , though if their any thing like a dog too many skinks will make them sick and skinny.
          For bait just about any scraps will work for urban foxes but for bush foxes its best to use some thing endemic to their home range /like a bit of roo meat.
          One old bloke I knew used to swear the best bait of all is a bit of SNAKE if you have one handy set traps around it.
          Aniseed flavoring from the cake shops or supermarket will attract lots of animals even cats and you can smell a few drops of it for a great distance.
          Bait layers I know melts dripping and a few drops of aniseed into a little container and sets it with a paddle popstick in it , then just a scraping or two from a pocket knife and sprinkled over on top of a bait will bring them to it.
          Being endemic to the area is important for bush foxes as I recall the ag dept once trying to load small European Carp with 1080 and then setting it out in the scrub / they got zilcho foxes / fox might be silly but hes not dumb / he knows carp don`t belong miles from water out in the Mallee.
          He also knows that if he gets a bad or old bait there`s a good chance he won`t ever take another one -- just crap on your bait stations as a warning to other foxes -so you need to shift your bait stations as they do get worn out over time.
          YMMV in your particular area as well.
          [center]
          Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by NoFerals" post=22643
            Foxes will eat just about anything including all sorts of windfall fruit.
            They will eat big bush Cockroaches and some times if they get a gut full too many you can see where they have spewed them up again.
            For a bit of research we used to open thier gut when we shot some and its nothing to find various insects ? grasshoppers or locusts / small birds legs and bones/ lizards and skinks , though if their any thing like a dog too many skinks will make them sick and skinny.
            For bait just about any scraps will work for urban foxes but for bush foxes its best to use some thing endemic to their home range /like a bit of roo meat.
            One old bloke I knew used to swear the best bait of all is a bit of SNAKE if you have one handy set traps around it.
            Aniseed flavoring from the cake shops or supermarket will attract lots of animals even cats and you can smell a few drops of it for a great distance.
            Bait layers I know melts dripping and a few drops of aniseed into a little container and sets it with a paddle popstick in it , then just a scraping or two from a pocket knife and sprinkled over on top of a bait will bring them to it.
            Being endemic to the area is important for bush foxes as I recall the ag dept once trying to load small European Carp with 1080 and then setting it out in the scrub / they got zilcho foxes / fox might be silly but hes not dumb / he knows carp don`t belong miles from water out in the Mallee.
            He also knows that if he gets a bad or old bait there`s a good chance he won`t ever take another one -- just crap on your bait stations as a warning to other foxes -so you need to shift your bait stations as they do get worn out over time.
            YMMV in your particular area as well.
            wonder what it is with aniseed? fish like it too!
        Working...
        X