Roo shooting - private property and the law.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roo shooting - private property and the law.

Guys
    I am unsure if this post should be in Hunting or the regulations sections. but I am sure someone will move me if needed.
    I was just after a clear understanding of what the requirement is went I got out bush on private property with my 30-30 hunting
    I need a permit or tags for Roo's in Qld ?
    Can someone give me the clear requirements ?
    Is it something that is enforced, I cannot imagine if the farmer wants to reduce numbers someone coming on his property and fining me for culling roo's - or am I skating on thin ice just saying that ?
    and finally if I took a roo and posted a pic - will someone what to see that I have the tag and permit ?
    Guidance would be appreciated
    Chad

maybe double check with your local (state) fauna & flora governing body, "parks & wildlife" etc.

Comment

• Emptee
      Emptee commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Send-it" post=22232
      maybe double check with your local (state) fauna & flora governing body, "parks & wildlife" etc.
      What send-it said.

As far as the pics are concerned IMO I would say definitely no.

The last thing any shooting hunting forum needs is to have pictures of roo's on it despite being taken legally, its just a bad look to have 50% of Australias national emblem being viewed in such a manner.

Good that you have asked, that's for sure, but I really don't know who would be interested in seeing them anyway..take a look at the feral pig photo's that are currently being displayed in another section , now that is interesting.... for me anyway.

Protected species that can only be Shot under a Pest control / Protected specis Permit

illagal http://www.environment.gov.au/node/16658

interesting
    Got it, Load it, shoot it..

Comment

You need a license for commercial harvest to shoot roo's in QLD...

They are native species and therefor are protected by law...

The only way is to acquire a commercial harvest license (Government info link)

I wouldnt post pics publicly unless I did have a license and tags (visible or not)... Also its up to you if you wish to risk your gun license and break the law... Weather it be on private property or not...

Elskippo is a pro roo shooter in WA but can give you some idea of what is required for setting up your vechicle, minimum cal required etc... I expect him to chime in at some stage... "blows on gum leaf" :P

Its been ages since I looked into it (on the old forum there where a few threads on this) and last time I had a look there wasnt anyone purchasing meat around QLD (earlier this year)... It was the same same with pigs at the time... But you will have to have a good look into it if you wish to follow it up...
      Most farmers know the local pro shooter... If the pro isnt making money they hang the hat and go back to other work till the money comes good again... It still sounds like the case if no-one is keeping numbers down...

Comment

• Send-it
        Send-it commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Luke H" post=22242
        "blows on gum leaf" :P

:lol:

• Emptee
        Emptee commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Luke H" post=22242
        You need a license for commercial harvest to shoot roo's in QLD...

They are native species and therefor are protected by law...

The only way is to acquire a commercial harvest license (Government info link)

I wouldnt post pics publicly unless I did have a license and tags (visible or not)... Also its up to you if you wish to risk your gun license and break the law... Weather it be on private property or not...

Elskippo is a pro roo shooter in WA but can give you some idea of what is required for setting up your vechicle, minimum cal required etc... I expect him to chime in at some stage... "blows on gum leaf" :P

Its been ages since I looked into it (on the old forum there where a few threads on this) and last time I had a look there wasnt anyone purchasing meat around QLD (earlier this year)... It was the same same with pigs at the time... But you will have to have a good look into it if you wish to follow it up...
        Most farmers know the local pro shooter... If the pro isnt making money they hang the hat and go back to other work till the money comes good again... It still sounds like the case if no-one is keeping numbers down...
        Some interesting points you make Luke in the bottom part of the post.

And recently while I was away the subject came up and from memory there had been a sharp reduction in exported product to Russia so a number of fellas had found it wasn't worth doing now until demand had increased so they have changed to rabbits.
        But what that's done is create almost a range war between rabbit and roo harvesters vying for properties with farmers being the meat in the sandwich, and the rabbit shooters claiming properties as their own. There has been some pretty strong words exchanged of late as you could well imagine.

Thanks guys

I looked at the link.

I will stick to pigs and bunnies - looks like the roo licence is a big deal to get and I was not that interested in Roo's anyway. I will continue to chase pigs

Regards
      Chad

Comment

Just on a side not I would enjoy helping a farmer out culling roos with head shots from my 204 and some 39grn sbk's :lol:
        Ps not sure if the 204 is legal on roos and I'm my time is limited like most with young families .

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Nah, the 204 is only legal for taking Sparrows isn't it?

:P :lol: :lol:
          Mick.

204 is now legal in sa.
        apparently.

Comment

Working...
        X