Vic legal deer calibres - .300blk ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vic legal deer calibres - .300blk ??

the regulations state any calibre from a .270 and up with a 130gr projectile.

does .300blk qualify???

Originally posted by SLH" post=21185

does .300blk qualify???
    If thats what it says, then yes. If it mentions muzzle velocity or ftlbs of energy, that may be a different story.

Thanks,

Oddball

Comment

does .300blk qualify???
      Probably not. ( the black out was made to run subsonic with a can. ) I don't think it would be wise to do so. I think its got more to do with the min energy produced to take the game intended.

The gov issue the recommended min caliber. To take the intended target cleanly and humainly.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by El-Skippo " post=21191

does .300blk qualify???
        Probably not. ( the black out was made to run subsonic with a can. ) I don't think it would be wise to do so. I think its got more to do with the min energy produced to take the game intended.

The gov issue the recommended min caliber. To take the intended target cleanly and humainly.
        Most available factory 3300AAC ammo is supersonic. It came about as a good means to give greater downrange energy, particularly in firearms running an AR15 type magazine. Reloading with a supersonic 130gn or higher projectile is fairly easy to achieve supersonic velocities. If the law doesnt stipulate it, then go for it.

Personally I wouldnt be using it for Sambar though.

Thanks,

Oddball

Spoken to a guy at my lgs who has successfully taken down Sambar with it . He recommends shots no more then 100yards .
      And the 300 is perfectly legal

Comment

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        There is only one caliber for Sambar ..... 30-06

Waiting for Sambar to pop in this thread.

I think anyone who tries to shoot a sambar deer with a 300AACBO is a goose.

A .270 shooting a130gr produces 2700f/lb on energy, a 300BO shooting g 130gr produces less than half that, 700f/lbs less than a .243 shooting 100gr which is not sambar legal, And 800f/lbs less than a 6.5x55 shoot g 140gr which is not sambar legal.

Steve

Comment

plenty of evidence n the states of deer being taken at closer ranges with .300 blk.
        especially with bullets like barnes TSX

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by SLH" post=21234
          plenty of evidence to in the states of deer being taken at closer ranges with .300 blk.
          especially with bullets like barnes TSX
          I'd love to read them if you can provide links. There have been thousands of heart bodied animals taken with the swede in Europe and africa but they are not sambar Legal in vic.

Steve

edit: also remember that the american whitetail deer range from 40-90kg, sambar from 100-350kg

It is quite apparent reading the table of required Min. calibres/class of firearms that it is a 270 Win which has the min. Muzzle Energy.
        The min. shotgun is 20GA with a 245GN Slug. and min. M/L is a .45Cal with a 230gn Ball. both pretty mean loads
        [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
        [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
        [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
        [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
        [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

• Ed9362
          Ed9362 commented
          Editing a comment
          While the minimum cal for sambar is.270 the min case length is 50mm which I think would make the 300 blk illegal for sambar.

EDIT
          That was the case a while ago anyway, not sure if they have changed it as I can't find any reference of that now

Federal Fusion Lite produce a .30-06 cartridge and other calibers which are basically managed recoil so you don't get the boot of a full power load. Nothing states you can't use these managed recoil cartridges on deer in Vic. They are said to be effective on deer in USA but probably on little White Tail, don't know about a fully grown Elk.

The Fusion Lite .30-06 cartridge with a 170g projectile produces 1510 ft/Ibs of energy at the muzzle compared to a full power 180g Core Lokt cartridge at about 2900 ft/Ibs. The .300 BLK sounds like it performs pretty similar to a managed recoil cartridge. Enough grunt for a fully grown Sambar stag?....I don't know.

Think I'll stick to full power loads and not something with the performance of a .300BLK.
        I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• WhelanLad
          WhelanLad commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah just recently the MIN CASE LENGTH was removed.... with the invention of Short magnums an even shorter magnums...
          Sucks that shithouse calibres like a 300 Blackout are OK to use as per Regs... and the very handy 6.5x55 and even the .243 with Strong projectiles is against the Law.

Il throw acat in.the Bag an say arnt those Reccomendations only

• MrCarbine
          MrCarbine commented
          Editing a comment
          For large deer in Victoria you need minimum caliber of .270 with minimum bullet weight of 130g.
          What is so hard to understand?
          Now you can use a shotgun with rifled slug too - about time.
          Old rules also required a case length of 51 mm (2") but new rules don't.
          The 2" rule was silly - hope it's gone forever and hope the 270 rule goes too.

Yeah NSW is a recommended, Vic is law
        Back to the OP, yes you can legally use a 300BLK for Sambar, but I wouldnt. My brother down there uses his 7.62x39 for smaller deer but still takes the 303 for sambar.
        I know there is always "that guy" who takes a big deer with a 223, 22 or an air rifle or something equally as stupid, but unless you can guarantee a clean kill why risk it. Yeah one guy might have done it, but he might have wounded a half dozen trying before the one he got.
        I would stick to something with enough energy to do the job, you wouldnt use a excel to pull a 40ft trailer would you??

Comment

Yep, an technically I was below the red line whilst using my .375 winchester..... Until now that is...

No the calibre hasnt changed, but.common.semse prevailed with this case.. failed for others LOL. EG BLackout!

10miles right.... Although its a Question thats really hard to answer...

I would proberly love to have a Custom .243 in a light weight rifle an shoot TTSX an target all species of deer.

Seen it drop Elk from long way out, would love to setup on Sambar. btw i have seen it done!

But that is Illegal but using a POS .32-20 isnt.... ummm helllooooo

Comment

Working...
          X