Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox Whistling

Hi all
    Just thought may be a good time to ask for any tips and timing for fox whistling
    Any info or techniques would be a great help
    Thank's A-Bolt

A video detailing a method involving the use of Styrofoam and a piece of glass (or car window/mirror) was demonstrated on the old forum. Just get a small piece of Styrofoam box material about an inch square, wet it with water (or even saliva) and then run it along the glass and it makes a wonderful distressed-rabbit call. By all accounts it worked better than some whistles/predator calls and it costs nothing to set up; I'll be trying it in a few weeks myself when I'm up the coast doing a little hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Bolt" post=19456
      Hi all
      Just thought may be a good time to ask for any tips and timing for fox whistling
      Thank's A-Bolt
      '
      A-Bolt, if your lucky forum member Remo might pick this thread up.

From the old forum, I remember many posts regarding his fox shooting in Victoria and involving the use of an artificial caller but I don't recall the name of it.
      He swears buy it so maybe try dropping him a PM if he doesn't pop up here.

Comment

• A-Bolt
        A-Bolt commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Emptee" post=19500
        Originally posted by A-Bolt" post=19456
        Hi all
        Thank's A-Bolt
        '
        A-Bolt, if your lucky forum member Remo might pick this thread up.

From the old forum, I remember many posts regarding his fox shooting in Victoria and involving the use of an artificial caller but I don't recall the name of it.
        He swears buy it so maybe try dropping him a PM if he doesn't pop up here.
        Hope to get a lot of info for myself and other users but may drop a PM to get him involved

Silva and Tenterfield fox whistles have worked in this country for donkeys years. They are a proven product, pretty cheap and can whistle loudly to bring them in from long distances or quietly when they are close. Wild dogs and cats will also come in on them. Lot's of ways of using them and plenty of videos on Youtube showing them being used with devastating effect. Bit of a technique to get them to work instead of just blowing air and dribbling from them but once you get the hang of it you will never forget it.
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Try and find some gullies or creek systems, the ones with forks in them are good generally, keeping the wind in your face is important or else they will smell you and you won't see any.

Keep the noise and movement to a minimum at all times, do say a 10-15min call on each stand, start out hard and load and don't keep calling constantly, go for say 10sec max then have a rest for 45sec to a minute or so, then give it another burst and just wait a few mins then just keep repeating if nothing in 10-15mins move 400-500m along and try again, remember wind direction.

I use 4 different whistles and also a Fox Pro Shockwave (only new and still having to try it out properly) but managed to call one in a while back but the wind got me!

There funny buggers foxes I've had some that nearly jump in your lap they are that hungry for a free feed, others will come in so far and just stop and sit and refuse to come any closer, had em stand next to the 4wd whilst spotlighting you name it, their unpredictable and predictable at the same time.

Good luck
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I use the old kiss technique.
          Pucker up your lips like your about to kiss a sexy lady and suck air in to make a squeaky sound.
          Works for me ,and i dont need to carry a fox whistle.

• Vromme
          Vromme commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Varminator" post=19626
          Try and find some gullies or creek systems, the ones with forks in them are good generally, keeping the wind in your face is important or else they will smell you and you won't see any.

Keep the noise and movement to a minimum at all times, do say a 10-15min call on each stand, start out hard and load and don't keep calling constantly, go for say 10sec max then have a rest for 45sec to a minute or so, then give it another burst and just wait a few mins then just keep repeating if nothing in 10-15mins move 400-500m along and try again, remember wind direction.

I use 4 different whistles and also a Fox Pro Shockwave (only new and still having to try it out properly) but managed to call one in a while back but the wind got me!

There funny buggers foxes I've had some that nearly jump in your lap they are that hungry for a free feed, others will come in so far and just stop and sit and refuse to come any closer, had em stand next to the 4wd whilst spotlighting you name it, their unpredictable and predictable at the same time.

Good luck
          Spott on.

I also like the following terain; blackberry bushes, thick undergrowth, lots of fallen timber (old trees on ground), warrens or where you know rabbits hang. EG when walking if you see a few rabbits, hit the deck quietly and start whistling Mr Fox can be nearby.

When losing light I will sometimes stay whistling for longer around 30-45mins + rather than finding another spot in the dark. I have called them in after long whistle sess before, not as common but can be worth waiting around a bit on dusk.

The other thing worth taking note of is the fence lines, you will often see a hole in the fence with fur caught up in it, among other animals foxes will be using these too, so position yourself around near those also (wind direction dependent) I've called in quite a few and you will often seeing them searching for the hole in the fence, soon as they come through BANG! a load of BB's for you old son! :lol:

A little squeeze bottle of Unscented Powder can come in handy for checking the wind direction regularly.
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Another thing is that you might come up behind a fox completely by chance while hunting something else. Chances are, just like you have been, it was walking into the wind and is therefore not aware of you behind it. However it has just crossed the same terrain that you have and will remember that there wasn't supposed to be a human in that spot 10 minutes ago. Unless it is within range for you to just take the shot, duck out of line of sight before trying to call it back.
      Working...
      X