No silk purse here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No silk purse here

Was out checking stock water late yesterday arvo, I always take a rifle of some description with me when driving around the place. Any how, about 7.15 just on dusk checked a dam and looked across a gully and here were 2 black pigs about 200yards away. Jumped out of the ute and grabbed the 308 (Tikka Hunter with VX1 3-9x40) and stalked about 50 yards closer, had a look, here are 2 old sows foraging under a tree. Line up one bang, down, rolls down the hill about 20feet and stops dead. The other old girl lets of a big squeal and legs it. I drive over to inspect the kill and behold.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	22102013086.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	34412

Click image for larger version

Name:	22102013087.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	34413
    She's got no ears, none at all, just 2 holes about 1cm across. No scars, no stumps, nothing, just smooth skin and ear holes. I come across plenty of pigs that have been lugged and had ripped and parts of ears but nothing like this, the same on both sides.

Make it hard for the doggers amongst us. :lol:
    Apologies for the photos, taken with my phone.

well thats different!
    looks more like an overgrown ant eater. :lol:
    anyway, ......one less piggy.

Comment

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Uncle chop chops pet pig???

Nice one.

• Spurious
      Spurious commented
      Editing a comment
      Bricktop quote:
      She's got no ears, none at all,

Maybe you could've stalked right up alongside them :lol:

Doggers cut them off the females so the dogs can't grab them ,and they breed up

Comment

• Bricktop
      Bricktop commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 45/70" post=19337
      Makes sense. All the more reason for a good cull up.

• MrCarbine
      MrCarbine commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 45/70" post=19337
      Someone is having you on
      They will not “breed up” without ears because someone cut off the mother's ears. It does not work that way!!
      If that was true imagine what would happen with sheep that have the tails docked or the various dog breeds.
      THAT WAS A GOOD LAUGH !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think he means so other doggers dogs can't grab them for a kill, the pig gets away and continues to breed.... So they're industry and pay checks stay alive, like how some roo shooters only shot big bucks instead of cleaning up the entire property for a farmer....
    I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Super6one" post=19504
      I think he means so other doggers dogs can't grab them for a kill, the pig gets away and continues to breed.... So they're industry and pay checks stay alive, like how some roo shooters only shot big bucks instead of cleaning up the entire property for a farmer....
      Off topic but on the Roo side of things.

A Roo shooter also has to abide by the minimum carcass weight set by the controling boady. also by following the code ie: not targeting doe's with pouched young or dependents at foot. ( around here 14 kg is the min dressed carcass weight for any Roo taken male or female ) I pass up more Roos then I shoot in a night. I make the decision based on size, sex, health. Before I take a shot..... As much as the farmers want them all gone. Its upto the gov/the controling body and there kangaroo management plan for the year.

A good shooter don't go shooting everything they see. They control there numbers and they target what they can take legally at the time.

I mainly take bucks .... But I have also taken many doe's under the right circumstances. Its about controlling the population, while helping out the farmers. Not wiping them out by shooting everyone you come acfarmers it that's not to say there are shooters out there that shoot every Roo they see. I have seen in my time a number of Roos taken for sale that fall way under the limit set. Yer they're a few $$ shooting them so young but if they gave it another year or two they could of made much more, not to mention the risk they take on a random chiller inspection. ( big trouble for doing the wrong thing ) so why risk it. No point doing the wrong thing.
Working...
X