.204 & .222 for pigs and smaller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .204 & .222 for pigs and smaller?

Im just curious is it legal to shoot pigs with .204 and if not is the .222 legal as If I get a rifle im gonna start of with feral control and later also pickup target aswell so wondering, (want the cheapest in price that is ammo which gives good accuracy and can also kill a pig if needed.
    Polish Mosin Nagant M44 7.62x54r Radom 1952 manufacture
    Brno model 2 1974 manufacture

One word 'Timshel'.

223 would be much more versatile, especially if you get one with a "1 in 8" twist.
    this means you'll be able to use target type ammo later on as well.
    plus,...a 223 will have a bit more hitting power.
    223 ammo is probably the cheapest around, due to it being so popular.

Comment

• Throwingbrick
      Throwingbrick commented
      Editing a comment
      A pack of 20 .223 rounds cheap american eagle stuff is $19 bucks here. Is that cheap or are they ripping people off.

A .204 is not cheap to run unless you reload yourself. But they are fun...bugger all recoil, very high velocity. They are fun city. Better option might be a .223 or a .30 cal if cost of ammo is an issue. Besides a .30 cal will clobber anything. Take your pick.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Can't speak to which state you are in but here in Victoria there are only legally mandated minimum calibre for deer and kangaroo. For other feral species there are no legal calibre minimum however there are the animal welfare concerns.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I have shot a few pigs with the 204R and heaps with a 223 and will say that neither the 204R or the 222 are pig cartridges.

Forget the 204 as all you will do is wound the pigs unless you get lucky, the 222 will do a little better but as most 22 cal bullets under 60 grains are designed for small game and generally not suitable for pigs the 222/223 is not the best choice. The 223 will be cheaper to run than the 222 but either way you will have to select your bullets carefully. The Barnes 50 grain TSX would be your best choice but as a premium bullet it is expensive: http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/components/rifle/tsx-bullet/ .

Sierra bullets make a game king in 55 grain from memory, that would be a cheaper option over the Barnes bullet and it is constructed to be a bit tougher than the varmint bullets also available in 22 cal.

But really, for pigs, cartridges start with the 243 Win with 85 to 100 grain big game bullets and up, and thats a good place to start if you are going after pigs.

Why would you even consider the .204 ruger
      It is a VARMINT Round not really suitable for pigs.
      .222 is barely usable as well
      Go .308 win Cheap as .204 ruger to reload/buy and got more than enough grunt to kill grunters
      If you are thinking .204 ruger/.222 rem because you can't handle the recoil of more suitable calibres than stick to smaller animals.

BTW my preferred pig gun is a .338 Win Magnum.
      [ul][li]Member:- SFP, SUQ, SSAA [/li]
      [li]Rimfire:- Savage MK II, FN 1926 , Liege 22Long, Win '04 , Lithgow 1B[/li]
      [li]Centrefire: - Mossberg 30-06 Sprg,270 win,Marlin 22-250[/li]
      [li]Handgun:- Ruger .357[/li]
      [li]Wishlist:- .22 Charger, 338WM[/li][/ul]

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        And always a chance a BIG pig comes along!

Whilst out foxing I've taken good pigs with the .204 so I totally disagree with Tumbo saying they'll only wound, and they .222 would have claimed 10's of thousands of pigs in this country but you need to be able to shoot well and take the pig by surprise. So there definately not go to pigs calibers . If I were in your position I would look at the .243 .

Ft

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        If you're out looking for smaller and see a pig with a .223 in your hand, shoot it.
        If its a big angry bastard, make sure you can kill it.

If you're out looking for big pigs, get a bigger cal.

.222 is fine when I have used it on pigs but, I have no knowledge of the .204

Personally I would go for the cheapest and best option for stinking pigs and that would be the .30-30 Lever. Hard to beat it.

Comment

• SLAP
        SLAP commented
        Editing a comment
        Go the 22-250 - the speed of a .204 and with longer range with more energy than a .223.with the same bullet weight - just get the twist rate right.

22.250 roughly $90/100 .223 roughly $80/100 from the LGS

I own both a .204ruger and a .222rem .243win and .308win and considering they are most mentioned cals in this topic I thought I might weigh in.

The .204 ruger is by far a varmint round that's not to say you cant drop a lion if you put a 39gr SBK into its ear. Would I do it, no I would not. I have shot a couple of pigs with my .204 but only because I ran out of ammo with my .308.They were well placed head shots which I am very capable of considering I have set up the rifle for long range varmint shooting. Most .204's are varmint barrels and with a high mag scope can weigh quite a bit so not really practical for running around the scrub with. I know I much prefer the weight of my Browning xbolt .308 with a 22" sporter barrel for that purpose.

Many members on these forums will tell you that it is fine to use a .204 or .222rem on pigs and they are right with a bloody well placed shot.

The .222rem was a hand me down from the old man and I cant say I have shot a pig with it but I have shot a few goats and some of them mature billies. Shooting them in the chest takes the wind out of them but can be quite a slow death. Neck or head shot no problem at all on any size goat. Again with the right shot placement a .222rem would be fine to use and is one of those classic calibers that will always have a place with many shooters.

I have done a lot of shooting with my .243 and I believe that it is one of the most versatile calibers to have been developed. With a well placed lung, heart, spine, neck or head shot I have never lost a pig, goat, fox, cat with my .243. I reload and use different constructed bullets for different game but there are plenty of bullets out there that will be sufficient for all game mentioned and even including deer. Recoil is mild to moderate and without knowing your age the .243 is very easy to shoot.

The .308win is necked up from the .243 or the .243 is necked down from the .308 which ever way you want to look at it. The .308win is probably my favorite caliber and one of the most versatile calibers used in the world among others like the .223, .243, .270,.30-06 and so on. Benefits with the .308win is obviously bullet weight, hitting power and of course legal to shoot all deer species with 130gr bullet weight or more.

Last week I dropped 4 pigs with my .308 while they were on the run.... Three were small about 40-50kg while one boar was about 75-80kg. Het took two shots as my lead on the first shot was a little off and hit him in the gut. I finished him off very quick. The other 3 dropped on the spot.... While I would have been confident using my .243 with success in the same situation, I would have been unsuccessful using my .204 or .222rem without really well placed shots. That can be hard when pigs are on the run under a spot light. Recoil is moderate to slightly heavy depending on what size bloke you are.

Personally I would leave the varmint cals for the little critters and use the heavier calibers with well constructed bullets for larger game.... You never know when that big boar or that trophy goat will present and you want to be equipped with no regrets...

Only my opinion- Happy Hunting....

Comment

no , go and buy a 25/06

Comment

When hunting, I used to take a 22lr, 223 and a 6.5x55 (that sucker can cause some serious damage). But I found, I would more and more leave the 6.5 behind and take the 22 and 223 for some casual bush strolling. In the end I sold the 6.5.

The 22lr would get worked out on rabbits and hares and the 223 would take care of the foxes, goats, roos and pigs where I hunt.

After I sold the 6.5 I never thought, "gee, I wish I had something bigger than a 223". My hunting buddy (and caretaker of the 70,000 acres we hunt on) only ever carried a 222 - until it was past its useby date at which point he bought a 223. Now we both have 223s.

But we don't try to be heros and snipe things at 300+ yards away. For us, stalking to a Much Closer distance is part and parcel of it. Outsmarting the animal on its terms. And very few of the animals we take need a follow up shot. But Just in case, we cover each other. That is, I'll take the shot while he is also aiming and ready to take a quick follow up if needed while I reacquire my sight picture and cycle the bolt.

For a good all rounder I'd go with a 223 or 243 and develop stalking skills instead of relying on long distance sniping. Either way, don't try to take out Razorback with either

Comment

I've got a .204 but don't think I would use it on pigs...there aren't any around my neck of the woods anyway. The .204 is a varmint caliber to me...dogs, foxes etc. Up the grunt factor....a .30 cal for pigs.
            I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Working...
            X