Which state forests in vic for rabbits and foxes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which state forests in vic for rabbits and foxes.

Hey guys,
    Im really eager to have a hunt in a near by state forest, as i almost never have an opportunity for a hunt as i have only 1 property to shoot on, ive had a look at toolangi but it seems that it isnt really a great spot.
    So basically im trying to find a good state forest in vic that youve seen rabbits or foxes in and possible what time it was.
    Just desperate to have a good walk a bout chasing some rabbits and foxes.
    Thanks.
    A13

All of N/E Vic....deer as well. Luckily I live here.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• fishphillott
      fishphillott commented
      Editing a comment
      Only one way to find out for sure
      Get out and have a look use it as an opportunity to spend the day with who ever is going to drive you

Originally posted by allrounder_13" post=13680
    Hey guys,
    Just desperate to have a good walk a bout chasing some rabbits and foxes.
    Thanks.
    A13
    So desperate that you'd rather sit online an ask questions about it Rather than GETTING OUT THERE YOURSELF??????

Onya, that's the spirit.

Comment

Go easy whelan, Jesus it doesn't hurt or cost anything to ask.... Try helping out fellow shooters instead of flaming them, he's not asking for your exact spot, just a steer in the right direction.....

Sorry al13, moving to vic myself so I can't really help ya on this one....
      I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

the problem with state forest is every one hunts them your best bet is to make contacts and get on some privet property

Comment

• Sambar Country
          Sambar Country commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by ragonfand" post=14370
          the problem with state forest is every one hunts them your best bet is to make contacts and get on some privet property
          You can walk around state forests in N/E Vic for weeks and you will not see anyone. All have game and are legal hunting areas.

allrounder_13

I don't know where you live, Melbourne or whatever. If you are in Melbourne I would suggest state forests nearby are probably pretty well decimated of game. No doubt there is game there...probably more deer than rabbits and the occasional fox if they haven't been nailed by 1080 baits.

If you can, get up to the state forests of N/E Vic, plenty of deer, foxes, wild dogs, cats and rabbits. The area is huge and hunting pressure is very light. There are minimum calibers for deer and I would suggest something with a bit more grunt than a .22 for wild dogs. Plenty of foxes around though. Get yourself a Tenterfield or Silva fox whistle and learn how to use it. They work.

Might be a pain in the ass if you live in Melbourne getting here. I live right in the middle of the alps so don't have to go far.

I could tell you to go to a particular spot up here and you might not see a thing. You have to get out by yourself or with someone else and have a look. Be prepared for disappointments. But there is no shortage of game. You have to get up early, before the sun comes up and on dusk generally. It is remote so appropriate safety precautions should be taken.

Even if you don't get anything it's a beautiful part of Victoria to walk around in. Just keep your eyes open and don't rush.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          The excitement of going to a forest is often pushed aside to something that can lead to disappointment. I agree you can spend hours for no result. However, time is needed. I have several property's I shoot on and I can come home after seeing nothing as well. All the best with your endeavours. I agree that maybe an alternative is to visit some land owners, gain there trust. In one year I went from 1 prop to 5 if different areas. Sorry I don't know your area but up this way there is no shooting in state forests

allrounder_13....what are you going to do?....just interested.

Comment

Come on all_rounder, come on. You asked for advice, one post and have not responded. People try and help you then nothing.. You can get hunting areas off this forum, people are offering advice, approach those people. Get a centre fire, you need more grunt than a .22. Shalom.

Comment

Don't hide.. Hunting is freaking difficult. It will never be easy for you. You can't just pull up get out of the 4WD and shoot a feral. It is that difficulty which makes it so attractive. It's called hunting.

Comment

• fishphillott
              fishphillott commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you scare him off SC
              Hopefully he is doing some school work

You're out Bairnsdale way by memory AR?

There are plenty of places to legally go hunting Foxes and Rabbits but, not all will offer you an opportunity at taking a shot in the thick terrain. That is where some homework is needed and I'd definitely keep my search areas to the fringe country of state forests as this will be your best chance at getting a shot off at a hungry Rabbit or fox. Over the next month-6 weeks you'll start seeing a few pups getting around which might enhance your chances of a desperate Vixen coming out of the forest onto farm country.

It's tough when you're young to be able to get out and hunt without a guardian to take you like in your situation but, you really need time to explore your options locally. If you live near some state forest access I'd recommend taking the push bike for a spin and i'd also make note of wearing some decent gators at the moment because the snakes are most certainly awake now.

Cheers,
            TBM.

Comment

Working...
            X