Clear All

• Vromme
    commented on Guest's reply
    Originally posted by Ranger" post=12729
    Snakes can be categorised by "activity" in one of three ways:

Diurnal: Active mainly during daylight hours
    Nocturnal: Active mostly during night
    Crepuscular: Most active at dusk and dawn

All of our elapid (venomous) snakes are diurnal, so you dont need to worry too much at night.

Yes, there will always be an example of one which broke the rules, but as a rule of thumb, expect to see them only during daylight hours.
    Thanks a lot Range +1. I knew you would have the answer. I dont remember seeing any whilst spotlighting in the ute or other times at night, that explains why. Walking to collect game whilst spotlighting used to make me think at times, dont have to worry so much now. Ill still be wearing boots, jeans, thick, socks but I think that is always a good idea even if there werent any snakes.

Are you able to put your detailed snake posts up on this site? I assume you have them somewhere, if not maybe old mods could salvage off last sight?

Guest replied
    I'm not around much anymore, but did stumble across your post when I logged in this morning.

The snake thread from the other forum has been transposed here, and can now be found in the "Camping" forum.

Snakes can be categorised by "activity" in one of three ways:

Diurnal: Active mainly during daylight hours
    Nocturnal: Active mostly during night
    Crepuscular: Most active at dusk and dawn

You may note that different snakes have different eye types, ie: some have slitted eyes like a cat, others have round pupils like a person. These different eye types are for different purposes, seperating those active by day, from those active by night.

All of our elapid (venomous) snakes are diurnal, so you dont need to worry too much at night. Yes, there will always be an example of one which breaks the rules, or someone who tells you they saw one at night, but as a rule of thumb, expect to see them only during daylight hours.

Most Python species are nocturnal, so expect to see them out at night instead of the venomous snakes.

Leave a comment:

Guest commented on 's reply
    I cant say that I've seen many snakes at night? but then again I rarely walk very far at night - mostly only from the ute to the open the fence and back again :lol:

is it very common?

• Send-it
    replied
    you're more likely to find one when you trip over in the dark and sit on it. :lol:

don't worry, they'll be more worried about you.
    keep you feet out of the grasses if you can.

Leave a comment:

Guest commented on 's reply
    Good idea
    Originally posted by Emptee" post=12583
    Mate was mustering last week..Darling Shire area, poddy calf was struck on the front shoulder and went beserk. It was all over in less than a minute or so. The culprit was a large brown.

Just me but maybe its worth thinking about leaving the walking at night to some other time of the year.

• Emptee
    replied
    Mate was mustering last week..Darling Shire area, poddy calf was struck on the front shoulder and went beserk. It was all over in less than a minute or so. The culprit was a large brown.

Just me but maybe its worth thinking about leaving the walking at night to some other time of the year.

Leave a comment:

• findingtime
    replied
    Vromme

Boots, jeans and thick socks is all i use now but have used gaiters in the past ( some high Macpac canvas ones ) Most snakes dont actually bite they really scratch so it's not likely they'll even penetrate Jeans.

It is that time of the year though and they'll be about , we were on a property near Millmerran this time last year and the owner advised us to be careful as he had never seen so many snakes in his 50 years on the property , that weekend we saw almost 20 and some monsters at that. Be careful.

FT

Leave a comment:

Guest commented on Guest's reply
    Speaking of snake gaiters, I'm off to Mungindi in a little while and I'm looking for some gaiters, can anyone recommend a good pair and where to purchase them from.
    Thanks

Guest replied
    theres some pretty good knee high gators going around at the moment, not sure how snake proof they are but it would be better than nothing.

Failing that you could tape phone books to your legs like brad pit in world war z!

Leave a comment:

• Vromme
    started a topic Snakes at night whilst walking

Snakes at night whilst walking

This is probably one for Ranger (if your still around). You had some fantasic posts on the old forum, do you still have those to put on here?

What is the safest way to walk at night in the warmer months?

I live in the New England area NSW and dont mind doing a bit of hunting at night, IE Walking around in darkness and only using a torch to scan an area. Not really a problem in winter, apart from the cold! But dont do it as the nights get warmer as I am worried about snakes. I assume they are mostly more active at night hunting.

I always wear jeans and boots (only ankle high). What other protection would recommend (if any) to safely walk paddocks/bush tracks at night in the warmer months? Obviously quite easy to tread on a slithery friend.
Working...
X