who is using light weight .243 bullets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who is using light weight .243 bullets?

since i started shooting(mostly hunting) ive been using 80-100gn factory federal stuff in my .243 with good results accuracy wise and ethical kills in my intedned prey.
    but ive got a bit of a sick fascination with the "pink mist", and would like to try some of the lighter projectiles(factory only at this stage). somewhere in the 55-77gn range,to get more speed and rapid expansion on smaller game, this was shot with a 95gn nosler ballistic tip, but ive seen th damage the faster stuff does

once i get reloading i know my options will be much more diverse, i just wanted to know who has experience with the lighter stuff on goats, small-medium pigs, dogs, etc. and what you think are the pros/cons of lighter-faster and slower-heavier

thanks

that gun kinda looks like a grenade launcher :lol:
    over kill for rabbits no :lol:

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      If your looking to magically make the rabbit disappear then go for the lighter pills!
      The lighter pills in 6mm have fairly thin walls and will literally explode all their energy inside and carry it through to next week.
      Is this what you're looking for? Or we're you looking to hopefully take a whole rabbit home with you at the end of the day?
      I've only gone down to 70gr Taipans myself and man these were great for foxes but way too much for buggs. I just stick with 90gr Nosler BTs now and leave the varminting to the rimfires or .223. Too much on components comparatively otherwise.

I have use Hornady Zmax 58gr on small game and even a goat kill . They work great and at $99 and now $110 per 500 great value too.
    But I also used for small to med game 87gr Vmax
    Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
    Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
    Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
    Ruger American .22wmr
    BSA SuperSport XL .22
    Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
    Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive used 55 g balistic tip on pigs 3980 fps so real barrel burners but good knock down

yup.
    currently using 55gr B-tips nudging the 3950fps mark.
    i'd take photo's of the rabbits shot with it but all I can usually find is tiny red bits of evidence that a rabbit once sat there.
    accurate too. (1/2 moa)
    it also picks up foxes and shifts them sideways by about 3 feet too.

Comment

Its really turning it into a 22-250 at those speeds (nothing wrong with that imho).

I run 50gn Nosler BT in my 22-250 on BM2 (chrononed just shy of 4000fps). Sorts rabbits out esp head shots.

Everybody will give you a different answer re barrel life, some guys will say no more than 1000rounds (till accuracy noticably drops) others will say they had put 4000 plus rounds through without any diff.

No brainer it will decrease barrel life but if you just use those loads for hunting (after you find an accurate load) it will take a lot of game before getting close to end of barrel life.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        6mm light varmint bullets are designed for small game only and it is irresponsible to use them on game bigger than a dog. Yeah they will work sometimes on bigger stuff, but sometimes not and then you have a wounded animal to track down.

That is the reason why the 243 has a bad reputation as a big game cartridge in some quarters.

As for pink mist, well its generally over rated, especially if the property owner requires all remains dumped in a set location or to be burriied. Speed kills used to be the motto of alot of shooters back in the late 60's-70's, where alot of shooters started going lighter to gain speed with 243's, 25-06's, 270's, hot 22's and even 222/223's only to find limited increase in performance on small game with lots of performance loss on bigger game and a decrease in the range they could take game at.

I was sold on this, being told that these little 70 grain hollow point 6mm bullets designed for small game killed pigs and goats like lightning. That proved to be the case initially if you could place your shots well enough to slip that little hp through a rib, then the pig or goat would be dead before it hit the ground. Hit the bones of the shoulder though and your quarry usually got away wounded as those little hollow points would not penetrate far enough to do the job on anything other than the perfect chest shot.

You will also find that the light bullets have a different impact point to the heavier ones requiring a resighting or atleast a scope adjustment every time you change from light to heavy bullets.

maybe ill find a happy medium between fast and barrel life....ill get reloading by xmas and look for some 75-80gn ballistic tips.
      and take note of some data/POI between them and some 100gn soft points for when the odd goat or pig shows his head(or ribs)

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        tuesday i used some win 45gr jhp in 223 on the bunnies to see how they go .
        man they did some damage !
        blew them apart.
        usually use 55gr sp .
        give the lighter stuff a go and see what they do.

There ain't no free lunch with varmint pills running the 55gr BT's at 4000fps will cook your barrel in 1500-2000 rounds I've burnt 2 barrels to find this out but you wont find a better varmint combo, no factory chambering comes close to terminal performance 280-300yrd PBR has the same velocity at 200m that a 223 55gr has the muzzle

Comment

• Send-it
        Send-it commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Krakaar" post=12498
        There ain't no free lunch with varmint pills running the 55gr BT's at 4000fps will cook your barrel in 1500-2000 rounds I've burnt 2 barrels to find this out but you wont find a better varmint combo, no factory chambering comes close to terminal performance 280-300yrd PBR has the same velocity at 200m that a 223 55gr has the muzzle

hey no one said fun was cheap.
        anyway, whats a barrel every 4 or 5 yrs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAm9IxbXDmw&feature=player_detailpage

how can you not like explosive varmint projectiles at over 3800fps?
      albeit for small stuff (wabbits/foxes/etc)

and errr,...not it didn't run away,...............it was spread nicely in a 10 foot circle.
      it's his little mate that decided to get the 'ell outa 'ear. :lol:

Comment

Have used 65gr vmax in my 6mm REM. No problems for dogs with fist sized exits, but I've gone back to 100gr sierra pro hunters as I use this rifle for culling duties on our properties. One load for all.

Comment

58 grain Hornady Superformance shoots like this from my T3 Lite:

And does this to rabbits:

What's not to love?

Comment

Yep even with the odd miss, 1 barrel with take a hell of a lot of rabbits and other vermin.

Go with speed and replace when nec (if youre lucky enough to use it that much.)

Comment

looks like you got that rabbit and turned it inside out.
              gotta love the speedy ones.

Comment

Working...
              X