Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo pig hunting

Hi All,

I'm going shooting at a friend's 500 acre farm at the end of the month while he is away, so I will be shooting by myself. He tells me that it will be just after harvest when the pigs will be out of the grain fields and running around, so there should be a few to have a crack at.

I am wondering if anybody can suggest what would be the best way to hunt them by myself, especially at night? I'm not too keen on plodding around the paddock on foot by myself with the pigs (and snakes) about. So, I am thinking that I might cruise slowly in my truck with the 308 fitted with Led Lenser in the back seat, then get out to shoot if I pick anything up in headlights/spotlights. Alternatively I was thinking of driving the vehicle to park every couple of hundred metres, getting onto the tray and then doing a 360 degree sweep with the Led Lenser.

Any comments or other suggestions welcome.

Thanks
    "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Take a friend? Wouldn't even have to be someone who can or wants to shoot?

Alternatively it sounds like a decent plan with what you've suggested although I can't say I've ever hunted pigs before (yet) so all I could add would be to be super duper careful given you're alone.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      All I can say is spotlighting is PITA unless you have a roof mounted light or a mate to hold a spotlight.

What sort of lenser have you got? I was using a P7 and M7R last night and I tell ya they were hopeless past 150m

something better then the lenser would be good.....at desperate times we have even taken a spotty off the ute and taped it to some pvc pipe and run wires to the battery as a makeshift spotlight.
    and i would get some padding for the drivers door and top of the drivers mirror so you can shoot from the drivers seat.

or take a friend to drive the ute and hang out on the tray and shoot from a bipod off the roof

Comment

Where abouts in QLD are you ?
      I'd be keen to give you a hand on the hunt, might be a bit difficult by yourself

Comment

• Shotgunner
        Shotgunner commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by FanTikkaTastic" post=11290
        Where abouts in QLD are you ?
        I'd be keen to give you a hand on the hunt, might be a bit difficult by yourself
        Sorry Mate, there are only a couple of people off Shooting.com/this place that I would even consider inviting out hunting based on observed behavior/attitude over a fair period of time. I don't know you well enough yet, give it six months and things might be different.

Going to be hard by yourself at night , realy need a driver or spotlight holder. I have found the lenzer is good on my shotgun but not the range for pigs. If you have a creek or water hole try and find out what time they are coming in and wait for them, if it is hot they will be around water just got to find where and when

Comment

• Shotgunner
        Shotgunner commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by KDan" post=11293
        Going to be hard by yourself at night , realy need a driver or spotlight holder. I have found the lenzer is good on my shotgun but not the range for pigs. If you have a creek or water hole try and find out what time they are coming in and wait for them, if it is hot they will be around water just got to find where and when
        That is a good idea, there is a creek and a big concrete silo I can park myself on the top over about 100 metres back from it.

No worries - murphies law does tend to kick in with borrowed equipment.

It's a great bit of gear, but not cheap. If you wanted it all new now I think you'd be paying around $400 all up. ~$150 for the window remote. ~$200 for the light. ~$60 for the handle.

Comment

• Shotgunner
        Shotgunner commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, $400 is about what you pay at the QGE

if the property has a water hole/dam on it, you could consider waiting quietly nearby for the pigs to come in for the water.
      most of my pigs have been taken in the similar fashion.
      sun rise and sun set are good times to try this.
      hunt quietly, and slowly, stop & listen for them, and you'll nail one.

Comment

• Shotgunner
        Shotgunner commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Send-it" post=11386
        if the property has a water hole/dam on it, you could consider waiting quietly nearby for the pigs to come in for the water.
        most of my pigs have been taken in the similar fashion.
        sun rise and sun set are good times to try this.
        hunt quietly, and slowly, stop & listen for them, and you'll nail one.
        Yeah, the more I read here the more I think that might be the best approach for a solo trip, hunt pigs evening then again early in the morning. I might take the truck for a spin at night with the .223 ready, we've picked up plenty of cats and hares on that property well within LED lenser range.

don't forget the camera!!

Comment

I don't think it will be too difficult to cover 500 acres of land and what you might want to look for on such a small property is where they are entering from joining properties. A nice quiet walk around the boundary fence might be the go. If you fire out too many needless shots and put hunting pressure on a property you'll find that you'll be less likely to see pigs coming onto a small property unless by luck.

If the neighboring property owners have crops down at the same time you might find the success of getting large numbers of pigs on 500 acres to not be possible at all.

Just be sure to make every shot you fire count and don't sit at camp plinking with your cannons.

Just my advice.

Comment

• Shotgunner
          Shotgunner commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Guys. Sounds like I should limit the night time hunting to varmints with the .22 and some CCI Stingers, so as not to scare the pigs off, then chase the pigs during the day.
      Working...
      X