The things you see when you dont have a gun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The things you see when you dont have a gun...

I was over at my mill this afternoon and on the way out I caught this little begger sunning in the late afternoon... This one is one of 6 black rabbits that live around my mill.... Plus there is another 50 or so normal grey rabbits there... All are real game like this one, they wont run till your standing on top of them...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	27591

As the title suggests, I didnt have my .22 on me (nor a good back stop)... So they will survive another day...

If anyone else has pics or stories of the ones that lived another day because of lack of fire power post it in here...

Looks like you found an upside down truck.
    I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Trying to fix it now Sambar... Bloody iPad...

EDIT... Fixed...

• several
      several commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to invest in a good quality air rifle.

In the suburbs of Sydney, across the Hacking River from the Royal National Park

I was actually photographing my new .338LM and my wife spotted these guys out the front.

Well yes I had a rifle at hand, but the neighbours might not have been impressed not to mention anyone on the water behind.

Name:	DSC_1166.JPG
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	27620

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      out shooting rabbits a few weeks ago with the .22 and seen a young deer(unsure of species) that would have been no more than 50kg dressed...good eating size i reckon
      it was the only time ive ever seen a deer there, but ill make sure im packing more firepower next time im at that spot

Haha thought you must've met some of the local folk in my neighborhood

Comment

• Jerry
      Jerry commented
      Editing a comment
      Saw this Dingo pup at work mid last week, no firearms allowed on minesites.

Name:	IMG_0077.JPG
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	28021

Foxes on the banks of the Lane Cove River near my folks place. A very active warren of bunnies on some waste ground in the same locale, been there for many years and baited carrots used by LC Council simply bump up their constitutional robustness. Six rabbits enjoying the evening air outside my hotel window in Grafton, a few weeks ago. Only had the 9mm with me obviously. LoL

Comment

Went out for a stalk a few weeks ago, saw no fresh sign of deer so headed back to camp at dusk. Had a couple of beers and threw a line in the river hoping to get a trout or two then heard some rustling and branches break. Heard it again a few minutes later this time quite close so I got my torch out and found a bloody stag not 20 meters from me! Still to get my first stag.

Comment

• Field Marshal Cinque
        Field Marshal Cinque commented
        Editing a comment
        I saw 2 goats sun baking today and had neither rifle or camera. Not that a rifle would have helped I was in a National Park.

Every time without fail, when I'm on my way out of any of my hunting properties, all my gear packed up,
      I will come across a big mob of pigs, goats, deer, rabbits, foxes etc.
      This happens every time no matter how good the hunting was.
      Its like their all giving me the finger

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Kizza" post=11903
        Every time without fail, when I'm on my way out of any of my hunting properties, all my gear packed up,
        Yep, I've experienced this too. Gear's all packed up, you're driving out of the property/SF and heading home, and the road ahead of you is chockers full of wildlife running around in front of you, blocking your way and staring you down.

Was up at the Pilliga hunting goats (bagged a few too) but while we saw plenty of sign didn't spot one pig. Anyway it started to rain heavily on the last day so we packed up, stowed the rifles and ammo & headed back to town early, and on the dirt road ahead of us in the distance was what appeared to be a black car or SUV that was parked sideways-on across the road (hard to make it out clearly out in the belting rain), so we slowed down to a crawl and approached slowly thinking that someone had lost control in the wet & spun out. When we got within about 70 metres it turned out to be a huge black feral pig that was busy rooting around in the water that was filling the potholes and corrugations in the road, and we got within about 10 metres of him before he looked up & noticed us and then casually trotted off into the scrub (I'm guessing he didn't hear us before then because the vehicle noise was hidden by the sound of the heavy rain belting against the road and foliage). Same thing was repeated again by another pig about a kay further down the road.

Earlier on in the year one of the boys in my hunting club was down in the Vic high-country stalking Sambar; didn't see a thing for 3 days but then collected a Hind with his bullbar that night on the way home.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Kizza" post=11903
        :lol: :lol: :lol: thats just like fishing - hike 2.5kms in with a 20kg pack and scale a cliff before sunrise, sit on the same bloody rock for 13hrs a day, for 4 days straight and cant turn a reel and just after you pack or your gear to go home - a massive pod of bluefin start busting up at your feet! makes you want to burn your rods!

Yeah and they are all broadside watching you drive past them.

I also think we need more emoticons to express what they are saying :lol:

Comment

Every time I go to my folks home on the Nth Beaches in Syd I see a plethora of rabbits on the oval next to their house. See the odd fox as well. I used to shoot them with a bow when I was a kid (those were the days )

Comment

Co Workers lol
          Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
          Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
          Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
          Ruger American .22wmr
          BSA SuperSport XL .22
          Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
          Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

Recent trip on a Picknick with the family - no firearms and no permission!

Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Originally posted by ex_reven" post=12455
              On several occasions I've gone on bushwalks without a rifle and brought the fox whistle with me.
              Those occasions were the ones I had the most success calling them in

Was out on the farm one night standing in the shade of a tree out of the moonlight and whistled one to within 2-3 metres.
              No word of a joke, the moment I put my light on him he bolted and came so close I thought it was going to try and have a bite of me

Last hunting trip, first night out I went on a bit of a recce while everyone else was too tired to go out for a look around (we arrived late in the arvo), no rifle with me.
              Called two foxes within 10 minutes of each other, one only a few metres away by the fence, another came running from a depression in the nearby stream.

I have always been skeptical of fox whistling, but now I love it.
              Whistling, spotlighting and shooting by yourself is a bit hard with the bolt gun though. Can't wait til my shotgun arrives
              I can relate to that one mate - wife and I went on a BBQ a while back, I took the whistles to show her how to call in foxes and bugger me dead, I called in 3 on the first go and a cat, moved up the road a bit and called in another 2 pups! Best part was I got a property to hunt on out of it! :lol:
              Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Working...
              X