A new family dog.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new family dog.

We are moving onto 5 acres soon and we are looking at getting a new family dog.

We have young children, we have plenty of space.

What breeds of dog should we be looking at? No need for a hunting dog.... Just a good all round family pet. Something that can put up with kids, like running around and that will sit on a mat inside at night and just generally be part of the family. We would also consider two dogs.

Thanks for your input.

Pusser

Take your pick mate there are 8 to choose from
    Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Take your pick mate there are 8 to choose from
      Attached Files
      Sent via pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        They must be fresh, looks like you just got em off the line.

Thanks fish,

Are they from the same mum as Steve's pup he got from you?

What is the actual breed of them? Kelpie x?

Comment

• fishphillott
        fishphillott commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by The Pusser" post=27928
        Thanks fish,

Are they from the same mum as Steve's pup he got from you?

What is the actual breed of them? Kelpie x?
        Border collies mate
        Same mum but the father of the father of steves pup

Cant go past a border collie pusser, they will fill all your requirements
      Attached Files

Comment

• fishphillott
        fishphillott commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Grant" post=27932
        Cant go past a border collie pusser, they will fill all your requirements
        Nice looking hound Grant care to share some details

Love my Kelpies.

Comment

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by 6602steven" post=27937
          family dog, how about old yella'? hard to beat a yellow lab or golden retriever as a family dog

steve
          Or a nice rotti, just don't get a mean rotti, lab or retriever.

Every kid needs a dog, And every dog needs a kid!
        Cheers Mat.

Comment

Originally posted by The Pusser" post=27910
          We are moving onto 5 acres soon and we are looking at getting a new family dog.

We have young children, we have plenty of space.

What breeds of dog should we be looking at? No need for a hunting dog.... Just a good all round family pet. Something that can put up with kids, like running around and that will sit on a mat inside at night and just generally be part of the family. We would also consider two dogs.

Thanks for your input.

Pusser
          I rekkon a short haired border collie cross kelpie. great dogs though they needs walks a fair bit or runs if your up to it.
          Polish Mosin Nagant M44 7.62x54r Radom 1952 manufacture
          Brno model 2 1974 manufacture

One word 'Timshel'.

Comment

• Snag
            Snag commented
            Editing a comment
            That's exacltly my girl and she is fantastic. Loves kids, loves a game.

She's got me sorted out too, naturally. Just like all the females in my life.

She was only about 6 months old in this photo. She's 24 months now and getting better and smarter every day.

Collies and kelpies or any combination of the two are great dogs.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1860.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	41366

I have wolf hound crosses... Great base breed... Easy to train, dont bark much unless required (then be prepared), loyal as and most importantly lazy when required...

My 2 are great with kids... My 2 boys give them absolute hell and they love every second... They run and play with the kids then when the kids come inside they will just go lay down and are happy to laze away the afternoon...

They are protective and are great hunters and I have been told can be taught to retrieve easily... my old wolf x ridge back never got taught to retrieve, but was in her younger days a very good pig dog and a great deer tracker...
          She is 10 and riddled with cancer, but loves playing with the kids and is very gentile with both my 8yo and 2yo... She woulndt even growl at the kids even when the seem to be trying to pull her ears or tail off... Just lays there and end wags her tail...
          We also have a wolf x cross bull terrier... Much younger than my other dog, but not a hunter, just a fatty house dog... He is also great with the kids... My youngest jumps on him and tries to ride him like a horse and he just takes every little bit... Not a sound from him...

When my old girl passes I will be getting another wolf hound as their temperament is great and they arent hyper dogs... Plus if you want a protector or a hunter they are very easy to train to do so...

Comment

Working...
          X