Electronic/invisable boundry systems/colars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic/invisable boundry systems/colars?

Hey Everyone,

I am shifting house next week from a house with a 6ft fence all the way round to a house on a corner block with 4ft fencing at the road sides ad 6ft at the back 2 sides...

We where looking at building a fence across from the house to the 6ft fence at the back (approved by owners) as one dog is a digger and the other is a jumper , but as I currently dont have time to get out to my sawmill and cut the timber I need till after Christmas (no time for guns either ATM) the wife and I where thinking about trying one of those electronic invisible boundaries (e.g. My Link)...

I understand the concept of how they work, but I still would like to know a few things about their functionality...
    Who has one?
    Are they worth buying?
    How long did it take for your dog to learn the boundaries? and if the system is turned off will your dog still try and get out?
    Any other general issues with these systems?

Thanks

Luke, I've sent you a pm with contact details for an Australian made product which should suit your needs: http://www.sureguard.com.au/dog_electric_fence.html

Call the 1800 number, they will question you (size of dog, application, etc) and then determine the correct product for your application.
    What may be better for you and your application is the fence mounted "Pingg String", rather than a radio collar.

I have used one of their products myself , it's been effective, and they've been a decent company to deal with.

I would opt for mains operated wherever possible over the solar, as then you dont have to worry about batteries going flat.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Ranger" post=27794
      Luke, I've sent you a pm with contact details for an Australian made product which should suit your needs: http://www.sureguard.com.au/dog_electric_fence.html

Call the 1800 number, they will question you (size of dog, application, etc) and then determine the correct product for your application.
      What may be better for you and your application is the fence mounted "Pingg String", rather than a radio collar.

I have used one of their products myself , it's been effective, and they've been a decent company to deal with.

I would opt for mains operated wherever possible over the solar, as then you dont have to worry about batteries going flat.
      Thank you very very much Sir... As normal your wealth of animal wisdom and knowledge is indispensable... I will call with specifics Monday morning...

Yeah solar doesnt appeal to my wife as she thinks the second it stops the dogs will bolt...

When younger working in irrigation I also used to contract to invisible fence and install these systems and train the dogs.

They work very well based on the owner of the dog and if it has been successfully trained in the past.

*My tips are when installing is to use every flag you have. Make it easy for the dog to learn.
    *You MUST walk the entire yard with the collar to see if the system has any traps or places where the collar is triggered for no reason.
    *Use the mildest shock that the dog responds too. Use the system to notify the dog rather than punish it.
    *Buy a system with warning beeps. What I used to install had 2 or 3 warnings before shock. This way the dog after training should never get zapped.
    *IMPORTANT Buy a system that will shut down if the dog gets stuck outside in the zap zone. Dogs have been mentally broken by devices that will continue zapping when the dog is stuck outside the fence. Run off in a storm ect.
    *Get one with water proof collars.
    *Use the smallest probes and regularly check for irritation.
    * Shock yourself and see how it feels.

Before long the flags are removed and the dog will know exactly where not to step.
    Soon after that you can swap the collar for a standard one and let the placebo work.

Thats my tips. They are a good product but like anything with dogs is to remember the dog is a real reflection of the owner.
    Put the effort in the early stages and you will have success.

JH

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by John23" post=27815
      When younger working in irrigation I also used to contract to invisible fence and install these systems and train the dogs.

They work very well based on the owner of the dog and if it has been successfully trained in the past.

*My tips are when installing is to use every flag you have. Make it easy for the dog to learn.
      *You MUST walk the entire yard with the collar to see if the system has any traps or places where the collar is triggered for no reason.
      *Use the mildest shock that the dog responds too. Use the system to notify the dog rather than punish it.
      *Buy a system with warning beeps. What I used to install had 2 or 3 warnings before shock. This way the dog after training should never get zapped.
      *IMPORTANT Buy a system that will shut down if the dog gets stuck outside in the zap zone. Dogs have been mentally broken by devices that will continue zapping when the dog is stuck outside the fence. Run off in a storm ect.
      *Get one with water proof collars.
      *Use the smallest probes and regularly check for irritation.
      * Shock yourself and see how it feels.

Before long the flags are removed and the dog will know exactly where not to step.
      Soon after that you can swap the collar for a standard one and let the placebo work.

Thats my tips. They are a good product but like anything with dogs is to remember the dog is a real reflection of the owner.
      Put the effort in the early stages and you will have success.

JH
      Thanks heaps John... Sounds like great advice...

One thing I do like about wolf hounds is they are easy to train... Both my dogs are adults, but one wont be around to much longer... But as she will be replaced with another I will have to begin the training again...

I coped a hit with a stubborn collar on full today... They have some bite, but i have had old bull wire fences give it to me harder...

Parabeam works great, we use it.

Can either triufger a beeper in your house or send you an sms or both.

Comment

Working...
    X