what breed should i get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what breed should i get?

its been a fair few years since my last dog passed away, sally a kelpie x red cattle dog, she was very loyal, and freakishly smart, i got her when i was 8 and she died when i was 15, and i didnt want another pet, so now i dont really know much about specific breeds, thats where i need some help.

i'd like to get another dog, but i dont know what breed to get, i'd like to get a breed that is loyal and smart, i want to get a gun/hunting dog so i can train him/her to find rabbits and foxes, maybe even retrieve them? can someone suggest a breed or breeds to look at, it will be sometime before i get one, im just doing my homework..

Cheers, James.

Rabbit and fox dog.

Good old Jack Russell will fit the bill.

Comment

• fishphillott
      fishphillott commented
      Editing a comment
      Stick with what you know
      Collie kelpie cattle or any combination of the 3
      Like you said smart loyal and easly trained to retrieve did anyone say "git the ball"
      But with enough bite/bark to be useful for other species of ferals especially suburban ones
      I have 3 collies that come every where with me
      Down the paddock to muster cattle
      Into town for a packet of smokes
      In the boat when I go fishing
      Or going shooting
      My last litter went spotlighting at 10 days old and slept through the 303 barking alnight
      Like any relationship it's about commitment and constantly working to improve and strengthen the bond
      When the dog knows what you want her to do and you know what she can do everything else is easy
      Contrary to popular belief energetic dogs don't need constant exercise
      mental stimulation and routine is just if not more important than physical stimulation
      Good luck

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by El-Skippo " post=15747
      Rabbit and fox dog.

Good old Jack Russell will fit the bill.
      Can't agree more

Really ? I thought all they were good for was barking... Well there ya go

Comment

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by 1HZ-TUFF" post=15752
      Really ? I thought all they were good for was barking... Well there ya go
      Yes they can be easily bored. They are highly energetic, they were breed for finding foxes. And they can get down into dens. They are a hunting dog breed for what your after. They are a tiny package ( but they they won't let that stand in there way ) they'll take on things much larger then they are.

It's a bbreeding would consider if I was to be hunting foxes and rabbits. ( if its to be trained a hunting dog they want to kill things like snakes should they come across them. )

If I was mainly going to hunt deer I would look at the pointer. If I was after a duck hunting do I would look at the retriever.

At the end of the day, its your dog ( so buy which ever breed you decide with ) teach it look, after it, prove your the alpha and the provider. it will be a loyal companion. If the dog thinks its the alpha ( your in for a hard time ) as they will think they are the boss. Then it'll do what it likes and not what you need it to do.

Yep JRT or Mini foxie are perfect for what you are after.

Select a pup with decent nerves. They have great drive, intelligent and pretty easy to train. Bred to hunt (mini foxes originated as a shed rat killing dog).

Dont worry about specialty show dog breeders, look for breeders that hunt with them.

They will naturally try and kill anything they can get, so you have to be very careful with snakes, esp if there are 2 or more of them. They cant resist bailing up snakes and one mistake and they are gone. If you are able, train to avoid snakes (a bit of work and know how but can be worth the effort.)

Comment

I'll be honest i was wanting to get something a little bigger...

A guy had his brittany spaniel at the range on monday getting it used to guns and he said it was 9 weeks old all it wanted to do was sleep wasnt phased by the guns going off... i suppose breeds similar are only good for birds?

Comment

I know its probably against what most will recommend, but I think the amstaff is one of the most loyal dogs there is, they are quite smart but take about 2-3 years to get over the puppy stage, and my old girl "hemi" used to love bailing up rabbits and foxes.
        sadly my new one doesn't have the attention span to go after game, great dog all the same

Comment

keplie/heeler or a mix of both, good allrounder breeds proven in australian conditions

Comment

German Wire haired pointer . Can be a very flexible dog .

Comment

For just foxes and Rabbits I would say Hungarian Vizsla, German Short Haired Pointer or Weimaraner. They will only acclimate with one person and once that person is chosen they will forever see that person as their pack leader, master, alfa. I have a Weimaraner and I couldn't be happier. Having said that I've also spent 1000's of hours training her in her very short life thus far.

The Wire Hair Pointers are great Deer dogs if you don't mind having a tonne of hair in your house? Otherwise I'd suggest one of the above.
              Lab retriever are the same in terms of hair but, also a good trainable hunting dog with great loyalty.

There are lots of little dogs that will suit the bill but, I guess it comes down to what Size dog you are after as well?

EDIT: Another really special breed is the Curly Coat retriever, once again the shedding can be an issue but, a terrific sized dog and temperament.

Comment

If you are after bigger dog any of the above will do the job well.

Choosing a breed is a very personal thing and its hard not to be biased on the breeds you like.

Read up on as much of the key attributes of each breed and what they were originally bred for. Dogs vary, but breeds usually have similar traits (temperament as well as the obvious physical).
                See which breed/s appeal to you, then see what availability is like.

There are pros and cons / trade-offs with all breeds. There is a plethora of information on breeds on the net so its not hard to find good info.

Just be aware many modern breeders (show orientated) worry more about physical confirmation than drives/nerves/personality type characteristics . EG You would be hard pressed to use most show line border collies as full time working dogs. The farmer type boarder collies arguable wont look as pretty but they get the job done and run rings around there show brothers as that’s what they are constantly being bred for - working. A lot of these types of working dogs are further split into shed/yard dogs or paddock dogs. With dogs, you can change breed attributes in very short time. German Shepherds are the same. Not many (if any) show line German Shepherds will win IPO events and only a few are used as service dogs.

Whatever breed or cross breed you decide to go with I would try and get one from breeder who works/hunts with their dogs or at least they sell pups to working type people. Most dogs are capable of working or at least being taught to work, it just makes life easier to get more consistent results getting a dog with the correct focus/drive to begin with.

Comment

I'm a believer in a dog for a job. Just like you can shoot rabbits with a .308, you can hunt rabbits with a bull-arab or Am-staff but there are better choices.

I recommend a gun dog for a gun dogs job. Pointers, terriers, retrievers and spaniels have thousands of generations of breading specifically aimed at making them good dogs to hunt with. I'm sure there are some great hunting shepards, cattle dogs and collies but you'll be fighting genetics and instinct for the entire dogs life in my opinion

We have GSP's, the vizslas are a bit smaller, weimaraner's a bit bigger.

One thing to think a out is what kind work you want the of to do. No point raising a 50kg mastiff to flush rabbits from the blackberries is there and it'll be buggered after a couple of hours where as a lightly built dog will retrieve all day on less water and without rest.

A mate has whippets, great sight hounds and wicked fast, then can run down bunnies but that's no good if you're standing there with a shot gun and the dog chases the rabbit 100m.

Good luck with your choice and post some pics when you get a pup.

Steve

Comment

My GF seen me researching different breeds.......

She has now got her heart set on a Nova scotia duck tolling retriever

gunna have to move to VIC to go bird hunting instead of foxes and rabbits...

Have to admit but they are cute puppies and nice looking dogs...

Comment

If it were POSSIBLE to train a boxer to harm something, then get one, they never run out of energy and are super fast.... I know police in Germany use them as k9 control dogs/attack dogs.... Very loyal dogs and great for families....
                      I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

You can always go to the pound and see if your new mate is waiting for you already.

Comment

Have a look for a staghound, usually it is a Deerhound cross wippet/greyhound used here for ages hunting pigs, rabbits and foxes.
                          I wouldn't mind one myself actually.

Comment

Working...
                          X