Anyone had experience with Beagles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had experience with Beagles

When I got my NSW R-license I got accredited for dogs as well as firearms, as I want to have the option of using a scent hound to locate game. My preferred option breedwise is a Beagle as they've a good nose on them and being small they wouldn't use much tucker, so cheap to maintain. As a bonus they get on well with children.
    Has anyone here other than Victorian sambar hunters had any experience with them?

Id be keen to know too. Mrs has been breaking balls about getting a pet dog. I thought beagle. Kill two birds with one stone. A hunting dog + pet for the mrs

Comment

• El-Skippo
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      German Wirehaired Pointer ???

CAn't say anything for their use in hunting but my neighbours had one and it was the worlds dumbest dog. So dumb they 'sent it to a farm'to live.

Comment

• killenmachine
      killenmachine commented
      Editing a comment
      my mate has had a beagle for about 10 years and it is a well behaved and trained dog.

When he brings it around it goes and digs up all my dogs bones much to my dogs disgust

Friends use them on Sambar but, they are illegal to use over any other deer. What game are you thinking about mate?

Beagles can make one of two things but, never both. They are a scent dog or a family dog. Cannot be both that's for sure.

Comment

• Paul8x57
      Paul8x57 commented
      Editing a comment
      Pigs or deer in that order. It goes without saying that I wouldn't dream of using one as a "pig dog" as such.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by The Boar Man" post=14908

Beagles can make one of two things but, never both. They are a scent dog or a family dog. Cannot be both that's for sure.

I beg to differ, I had a beagle for 17 years (yes...17) who was exceptionally good with kids, loved people, so good in fact when I had to go away for a week I left her with friends who had a dog and other kids, they literally didn't want to give her back, offered me 1000 bucks for her...and I said no way!
      Yet she was also an exceptionally good fox and rabbit dog.
      Fantastic nose, smart (I swear she understood English!) and she would even retrieve (she had a soft mouth, no damage to game.)
      I wanted another but as the new dog would be in a fairly small yard it wasn't to be, they will dig in your yard, get distracted while out walking by any smells, will hunt for food all the time (bins, anything left where they can get it).
      I have a Labrador x fox terrier now (she looks like a miniature black lab) and while she's a good family dog, compared to my beagle Jessie, she's a dumb as a box of hair!

I grew up with a Beagle and she was a loved pet. We chased rabbits together on holidays at Nan's place but it was just playing. To attest to their nose I can say this - I used to walk about 3kms to school. Being in primary school I used to chop and change through the creek and along roads and wherever else took my interest. I'd never taken her to school . . . but one day she just arrived, looking well pleased with herself, in my classroom she'd used that all sensing Beagle nose to follow me all the way to school, ignoring the thousands of other scents along the way, to find me and 30 other excited kids.

Comment

if anyone is interested in Weimeraners a close friend of mine is a registered breeder here in Perth, has 2 8 week old pups still looking for homes from her recent litter
      savage MKII FSS .22 boyds laminate stock leupold VX1 3-9X40
      howa 1500 .243 varmint bedded in boyds thumbhole stock leupold VX3 4.5-14X40 DNZmount
      howa 1500 .223 varmint in the "franken stock" shortened barrel (19") pecar 8X56 DNZmount
      gammo shadow 1000 .177
      akkar churchill 30" O/U 12G extractors

Comment

I've been reading this topic with interest as I am in the process of selling my apartment and buying a house. Once I have a backyard and more time on my hands after I finish this Masters, buying and training a tracking dog or dogs is high on the list of priorities.

Given that I work full time, am single and will be living in an urban environment with a relatively modest backyard, two beagles seem to fit the bill. I can walk them once a day and they can keep each other company. I have read the matters about digging and chewing so I reckon I would just separately fence off most of the yard, lay a metre or so of chicken wire around the bases of the fences and not bother planting anything in there, I don't like gardening anyway. They can be outside dogs with a decent sized doghouse for shelter.

The other options, weimeraners and gshps sound great but I understand that they need 6 foot fences, lots of food and lots of exercise. I don't think I could make the required commitment or that my back yard will be big enough for one.

Does this sound like it would work? Also, is it possible to train two dogs at a time?
        "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Shotgunner" post=75493
          I've been reading this topic with interest as I am in the process of selling my apartment and buying a house. Once I have a backyard and more time on my hands after I finish this Masters, buying and training a tracking dog or dogs is high on the list of priorities.

Given that I work full time, am single and will be living in an urban environment with a relatively modest backyard, two beagles seem to fit the bill. I can walk them once a day and they can keep each other company. I have read the matters about digging and chewing so I reckon I would just separately fence off most of the yard, lay a metre or so of chicken wire around the bases of the fences and not bother planting anything in there, I don't like gardening anyway. They can be outside dogs with a decent sized doghouse for shelter.

The other options, weimeraners and gshps sound great but I understand that they need 6 foot fences, lots of food and lots of exercise. I don't think I could make the required commitment or that my back yard will be big enough for one.

Does this sound like it would work? Also, is it possible to train two dogs at a time?
          Mate, what are you on about? All dogs regardless of size or breed need exercise and discipline/training, if you are not going to commit to this and you are living in a suburban area the dog or dogs will become a major PITA for yourself and your neighbours. Personally I would recommend doing a bit more research into breeds and their traits, maybe even go to some dog shows and talk to breeders, you might get some useful info

Just looking at a few youtube clips though, a Spaniel looks like it might be the thing for foxes and bunnies.
        "Love the bush for its own sake and you will never have an unsuccessful hunt".

Comment

get one.
          they don't call 'em mans best friend for nothing.

Comment

Working...
          X