Raided crab pots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raided crab pots.

I have a mate over from Canada so thought we should go and throw the pots out in the hope off catching a few mud crabs.
    So went back this morning and got three legal bucks but one was empty so threw it back , but one my pots got raided!
    But instead of cutting the zip tie holding it shut they slashed a hole across the bottom! So the bastards not only stole my crabs they wrecked one of my new pots too! God there are some scumbags out there!
    Rant over.
    Cheers Mat.

they normally cut the bottom out of the pot so they can get it up into the boat, emptied then thrown back quickly,

dirtbags, i went out with a mate and 2 out of 3 got done over and they were only out for about 5 hours

Comment

Wow some people are complete pricks as if stealing your crabs wasn't bad enough.
      Always in need of just one more gun.

Comment

Mate, get a permanent marker and some plastic sheet and write a note to stick to the trap. One suggestion is "smile for the camera". Theres probably a few more messages you could think of like " see you at the boat ramp, and we'll sort them out".
        I hate thieves.

Comment

put a few empty shells in it never had a pot raid after i started that

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Rat man407" post=40223
            put a few empty shells in it never had a pot raid after i started that

That's a nice touch, although I realize now that crabs are attracted to brass.

Much as I hate thieves and those who raid others crab pots, I can guiltily admit I've done it before, many years ago.

Mind you, my circumstances were a little bit different, and old mate whose crab pots I raided really got the light end of the stick - it could have been much worse for him.

I was on Exercise in Tin Can Bay training area, and was tasked with sitting on Mosquito Creek to observe "enemy" behaviour, when old mate put-putted right up next to our covert OP (Observation Post) in his tinny, and dropped his pots.

So we left them for awhile, and then hit them for his crabs. I was sitting on the bank finishing off the most wonderful meal of honey soy mud crab I'd ever had (one of my ugly boys owned a restaurant in civvy street) when old mate returned for his crab pots. Understandably, he was rather irate that we'd taken his crabs, and was telling me I could expect a fine from the prosecution he was going to proffer against me. He calmed down a fair bit when I looked over at my map, spread out on the ground next to me, with my privately purchased GPS and mentioned that the fine I'd cop would be thrown out of court when the location we were sitting in became known - I also opined that his charge of Trespass on Commonwealth (Defence) property was going to be a really nice one.

I also suggested to him, that this should be a lesson not to trespass. It was also in his best interests, namely his safety, that doing such things wasn't going to be good for his continued health, either. This time, he lost his crabs, next time, he may wander into a live-fire area and lose way more than he bargained for.
          I can only hope he took that teaching point on board.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Forward!
          Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by 22F" post=40960
            Much as I hate thieves and those who raid others crab pots, I can guiltily admit I've done it before, many years ago.

Mind you, my circumstances were a little bit different, and old mate whose crab pots I raided really got the light end of the stick - it could have been much worse for him.

I was on Exercise in Tin Can Bay training area, and was tasked with sitting on Mosquito Creek to observe "enemy" behaviour, when old mate put-putted right up next to our covert OP (Observation Post) in his tinny, and dropped his pots.

So we left them for awhile, and then hit them for his crabs. I was sitting on the bank finishing off the most wonderful meal of honey soy mud crab I'd ever had (one of my ugly boys owned a restaurant in civvy street) when old mate returned for his crab pots. Understandably, he was rather irate that we'd taken his crabs, and was telling me I could expect a fine from the prosecution he was going to proffer against me. He calmed down a fair bit when I looked over at my map, spread out on the ground next to me, with my privately purchased GPS and mentioned that the fine I'd cop would be thrown out of court when the location we were sitting in became known - I also opined that his charge of Trespass on Commonwealth (Defence) property was going to be a really nice one.

I also suggested to him, that this should be a lesson not to trespass. It was also in his best interests, namely his safety, that doing such things wasn't going to be good for his continued health, either. This time, he lost his crabs, next time, he may wander into a live-fire area and lose way more than he bargained for.
            I can only hope he took that teaching point on board.
            hehe, nice work. (Although technically, he ain't trespassing if he's still on the boat/water )

talk about crab nets getting raided.
          used 8 crab nets on sunday morning.
          took the boat out, in the shallows (8 to 10 feet), dropped them in a row over a distance of about 300m from first to last, putt back around to the first net and start checking.
          what? bait gone already? hmmm
          checked the next, same thing.
          next minute,..........PFFFFFFT sound.
          look around,............2 bloody dolphins were right behind, following us and eating the bait (tommies and whiting) from the crab nets each time they dropped.
          oh well.
          cheeky buggers.

Comment

• Spaana
            Spaana commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Send-it" post=48880
            talk about crab nets getting raided.
            used 8 crab nets on sunday morning.
            took the boat out, in the shallows (8 to 10 feet), dropped them in a row over a distance of about 300m from first to last, putt back around to the first net and start checking.
            what? bait gone already? hmmm
            checked the next, same thing.
            next minute,..........PFFFFFFT sound.
            look around,............2 bloody dolphins were right behind, following us and eating the bait (tommies and whiting) from the crab nets each time they dropped.
            oh well.
            cheeky buggers.
            I was told by the fellas at Monkey Mia (dolphin tourism spot, Sharks Bay) that dolphins will only eat live food unless trained to accept other. Apparently so they only ingest healthy dinners, and not sick, unhealthy dead meat. Guess there is always the smart arse lazy dolphin somewhere.

Grab the ol wombat gun and see if you can lob an illum into his boat, that'll liven his day!!!!!

Comment

• 22F
            22F commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Jonno" post=115605
            Grab the ol wombat gun and see if you can lob an illum into his boat, that'll liven his day!!!!!
            Ah yes....

I may (or may NOT!) have used 40mm illum on a small mangrove island in a waterway after a live-fire range was closed due high fire danger.
            It's a long story, and I'm still not sure if statute of limitations have expired *quite* yet...

Yeah what Jonno said.. But seriously thats about as low can go.. sadly this happens in most areas. Hope you catch em

Comment

Working...
          X