Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Week Snapper fishing off Williamstown Oct 31st

Gday,

Hope you all enjoyed the last lot of photos from my mornings fishing on the 30th of October.

This next lot of photos was from the following day. On this occasion I got my old man out there as he always seems to be working through the snapper season.. My brother also tagged along as he had snapper fever from the day before. I ventured to the same mark as the previous day and we were lucky to hook a few more.

Fish were all caught on fresh pilchard and before 7am, not long after the tide turned. Fish weighed 4.65kg, 5.6kg and 6.9kg......

Take notice of the last photo of the fish guts, I always look into the stomach to see what they are feeding on and to see whether the snapper were interested in my burley. In this case as you can see the burley was working well...

Enjoy......

Top stuff mate. We have a snapper ban over here in SA so have to wait till mid Dec to get out. Now I'm even more keen I usually check the guts too came across this last time.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0252.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	39992
    It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkey's

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Snapper ban?? Does this occur every year?

Looks like a coat hanger..

Yep, used to be all of November. Now it's Nov-mid Dec. Every year.

Comment

Great Photos!!

Wow, that's one of the things I think about all the time up here in Darwin, how good the Snappers are when I get back home to Melbourne......great stuff mate, wonderful seeing a bloke and his old man living the dream. :lol:
      Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        DO they close the season because of the spawn??

In short, yes.
      But here's a write up if you wanna read. Just copy pasted
      A number of changes have been implemented through the review process to control the level of commercial impact on Snapper stocks and provide great protection to Snapper spawning aggregations. These include:

A 15-day extension to seasonal Snapper fishing closure, which commenced for the commercial sector in 2012 and will apply to charter and recreational fishers from 2013. The annual state wide closure now applies from midday 1 November to midday 15 December annually (previously 1-30 November).
      A commercial daily commercial catch limit of 500 kg was introduced across all South Australian waters, to control the level of commercial impact on Snapper stocks.
      Commercial fishers were also restricted to using 200 hooks on set lines (longlines) – reduced from 400 hooks – when operating in Spencer Gulf and Gulf St Vincent to assist in constraining Snapper catches to the 500 kg daily limit and minimising discarding of excess Snapper.
      In July 2013, the introduction of Snapper spawning spatial closures was also announced. Encompassing five key breeding areas – four sites in Spencer Gulf and one site in Gulf St Vincent – the spatial closures will apply from midday 15 December 2013 to midday 31 January 2014. During this time all fishing sectors will be prohibited from possessing, fishing for and taking Snapper within the four kilometre radius of each spatial closure area.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!
        Is that williamstown near port Stephens nsw??
    Working...
    X