This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Brag Mat

Whilst fishing a shallow reef targeting snapper I picked up this nice 55cm barracuda on a half pilchard rigged on a paternoster rig on 12 lb line.
    Sadly I didn't even find the snapper on this day but still manged a small pinkie a catfish thing? This barracuda, and a dozen underside fatties.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2013-11-05.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	39627
    Attached Files

That's one HUGE shark, Send-it!!!

Unfortunately, all my digi-pics are freshwater jobbies; except this other HUGE fish i caught in Vantuatu on our honey moon!!!

Name:	GiantBarracuda.jpg
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	39370
    List to tick off:
    - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
    - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
    - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
    - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
    - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
    - Comp dies for 7mm-08
    - Case annealer
    - Custom dies for wild cat

Comment

33cm Bream caught on 7 pound braid and a little prawn.
      I will have to start taking pics of my better fish

Thread stickered

JH

Comment

• Pitty
        Pitty commented
        Editing a comment
        11.2 kg of Black Spot Tusk Fish (Bluey)

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	39398

went out in the boat for a couple of hrs today on the yorke peninsular.
      was going for whiting in one of our favorite spots.
      caught everything but a whiting, from a port Jackson that kept me busy for 1/4 hr but couldn't raise, to a small but fiery snapper, to a very brightly
      coloured leather jacket, and one of these;

Name:	sweepfish.JPG
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	41307
      is it a 'sweep'?

Comment

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Send-it" post=27905
        caught everything but a whiting, from a port Jackson that kept me busy for 1/4 hr but couldn't raise, to a small but fiery snapper, to a very brightly

is it a 'sweep'?
        Looks like it could be a Multibar Angelfish: Paracentropyge multifasciatus

oh... no it's not! Wrong shaped tail... looks the same, otherwise... i'll get back to you. I have an extensive fish ID library, will give me something to do.

Cheers
        Attached Files

• Gwion
        Gwion commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Send-it" post=27905

is it a 'sweep'?
        Well Send-it,

I've had a good look and it's definitely not a sweep; the fins are all wrong.

Closest i can get is some sort of butterflyfish. General morphology (shape) and fin structure match, but can't pin point a species. Not 100% on that either, because the tail fin doesn't match any of the pics but it does match the description: "caudal fin rounded to slightly forked". Butterfly fishes belong to the Family: Chaetodontidae. Butterfly fishes are mainly tropical but there are some species in southern Australian waters.

Anyway. Back to my movie.

Cheers

Gwion
        Attached Files

My missus first ever snapper she caught last summer on her new rod I bought her for Christmas. Don't know if I'll take her out this summer, she always outfishes me!!

Name:	mms_20130116_2.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	41322
      It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkey's

Comment

The biggest fish I have ever landed and released . A Queensland Groper . Caught off Hinchinbrook island .
        Cheers Mat.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Mat1979" post=27919
          The biggest fish I have ever landed and released . A Queensland Groper . Caught off Hinchinbrook island .
          Cheers Mat.
          THATS JUST NUTS.
          What sort of gear did you need for that?

• Shooting Sports
          Shooting Sports commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Mat1979" post=27919
          Cheers Mat.
          Queensland Groper is protected and has a "No take" status for recreational fishers so thank you for releasing.

a depth charge! :lol:

now that's a groper!!

Comment

Caught while fishing for grunter with a small mullet slab for bait. Rod was a angler advantage , reel was a abu 6500 with 50lb braid.
          was a by catch ,I thought it was a big shovel nose .
          It took 45mins to land and I saw the bottom of the spool a few times.
          I stepped out of my boat into my mates and he slowly backed into the beach where I fought it to the edge of the beach, where my brother lip gaffed it
          ( And got thrashed for his trouble) hook fell out got a quick photo and we dragged it back in and it swam away strongly.
          The rod is in the background.
          Stopped fishing after that and got on the piss!
          Cheers Mat.

Comment

• Snag
            Snag commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Mat1979" post=27941
            Caught while fishing for grunter with a small mullet slab for bait. Rod was a angler advantage , reel was a abu 6500 with 50lb braid.
            was a by catch ,I thought it was a big shovel nose .
            It took 45mins to land and I saw the bottom of the spool a few times.
            I stepped out of my boat into my mates and he slowly backed into the beach where I fought it to the edge of the beach, where my brother lip gaffed it
            ( And got thrashed for his trouble) hook fell out got a quick photo and we dragged it back in and it swam away strongly.
            The rod is in the background.
            Stopped fishing after that and got on the piss!
            Cheers Mat.
            From the post layout I thought you were talking about the piss ant butterfly fish.

I saw "50lb braid" and thought WTF?

thanks.
          all I know is that it was very good at removing bait from hooks.

Comment

• Gwion
            Gwion commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Send-it" post=28000
            thanks.
            all I know is that it was very good at removing bait from hooks.
            No worries, Send-it. Bloody little nibblers get a bit painful. It's funny catching a bunch of different species in one session though, even if they're not the ones you were after.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

Now that I am on holidays for 2 weeks, I plan to be spending as much time fishing as possible. Sat night and last night worked out awesome for me with pb's both nights.
            I am targeting 1 species, the angry red beast known as the Mangrove Jack.

Saturday Night saw me land 1 at around 52cms, no idea of weight, and last night was another at about the same length but was a much fatter and stockier fish.
            Both were caught on an 8 foot ugly stick, shimano aernos 4000 with 20lb braid and 20lb leader, 1/0 black magic circle hooks and live silver biddies as bait.
            A mate got a 45cm jack as well. All 3 fish were released and swam away strongly.

Saturday nights fish

Name:	20131222_000155.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	57677

Sunday nights fish

Name:	20131222_231039.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	57678

Comment

Never got into saltwater fishing, though I love fishing for trout, but this story may interest you and may have turned me!
              My 4 y.o son received a kids fishing rod for Christmas and was hassling me to go for a fish. I decided to go somewhere kid friendly so inverloch it was. very windy & choppy so wasn't expecting much but lo & behold the fish were playing! He reeled in his first fish- a 21cm rock cod- and so the bug has bitten... Now to take him for his first hunt

Comment

This is my greatest catch, I think it's a better catch then everything else including 500+lb blue marlin....

About 4 years ago I got this 54cm jack while fishing from a kayak in winter for bream.... 5lb braid 6lb leader, 2-5kg fire blood rod, symetre1000 reel, squidgy wriggler 50mm with a 1/20 oz gamkatsu jig head....

Bit of a dodgy photo

Name:	image_2014-01-10.jpg
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	63704
                I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

nice super, even better that it was in winter!
                  for some reason it's always a great feeling landing a jack, they are my main target fish, the fish I chase every time I go out, others are just bycatch and due to chasing just one species I quite often get bricked all night and catch nothing, so when I do it is even more of a bonus.
                  I have been lucky with my jack catches, as I have found them in areas without structure and have been able to get them in without getting smoked.
                  Being landbased doesn't help lol.

last saturday night, my last night of fishing before going back to work, I got my first bull shark though so was pretty happy, was only a little one and bycatch chasing jacks.

Over the 2 weeks I ended up with the 2 jacks, a 50cm bigeye trevally, a roughly 60cm across eagle ray, 6 25-27cm moses perch, 6 horrible catfish, 2 dirty pike eels and the bully.

All were released.

Tomorrow night off again chasing jacks

Comment

Caught these back in winter... been fishing since, but I don't use the camera much.... I have a pontoon down the back of my place in the mangroves that the landlord put there... I catch them stripy things by the bucket load at the start of winter every year with a cast net... not sure what they are... I've asked a few people and they reckon there a dory but they don't look like any dory I've ever seen... there good chewing but you don't want to be spiked by one, damn near brought a tear to my eye when I was trying to knock the fillets of one, one day and a spike went into my wrist... hurt like all buggery for about 2 hours.... caught an oversize flathead the other day and had to throw it back... I think that hurt more...

Name:	230012_1856695069064_6389765_n.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	63719

Name:	249577_1901821877206_7604545_n.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	63720

Comment

Guest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by SLAiN" post=52800
                      Caught these back in winter... been fishing since, but I don't use the camera much.... I have a pontoon down the back of my place in the mangroves that the landlord put there... I catch them stripy things by the bucket load at the start of winter every year with a cast net... not sure what they are... I've asked a few people and they reckon there a dory but they don't look like any dory I've ever seen... there good chewing but you don't want to be spiked by one, damn near brought a tear to my eye when I was trying to knock the fillets of one, one day and a spike went into my wrist... hurt like all buggery for about 2 hours.... caught an oversize flathead the other day and had to throw it back... I think that hurt more...

looks like a relative of a fish commonly called 'happy moments' I believe the real name is a spinefoot -next time you get stung put the affected area in water as hot as you can handle (about 45 degrees) and it will break down the toxins and ease the pain
                      Attached Files

• Send-it
                      Send-it commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Originally posted by SLAiN" post=52800
                      caught an oversize flathead the other day and had to throw it back... I think that hurt more...
                      what did you catch the flathead on?
                      flatheads are on my 'to do' list this year.
                  Working...
                  X