X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing spots in Copocabana?

So im heading up there with some friends from Uni

in about 2 weeks time,

was thinking it would be good to bring along the estuary and beach rod and see what i can get,

does anyone know any specific spots (and what bait/lures) along the beech or in the lagoon?

Originally posted by DanG" post=24624
    So im heading up there with some friends from Uni

in about 2 weeks time,

was thinking it would be good to bring along the estuary and beach rod and see what i can get,

does anyone know any specific spots (and what bait/lures) along the beech or in the lagoon?
    Hey Dan,

I havent spent much time fishing around there but just about any beach on the east coast will have whiting, bream and in the mornings or at night tailor and scumbos (salmon) also just about every beach on the east coast has jewfish (mulloway to avoid confusion for the west australians!) - you can bait fish for the bream and whiting (dont cat too far out) and spin for the surface fish (or just cast ganged pillies if you want) - if you dont know how to read features on a beach travel light and stay mobile! just keep walking the beach and recast every 5-10minutes until you find them. I dont know how that beach works but if the lagoon runs out into the beach I would be fishing the top of the tide and the entire runout near the mouth of the lagoon (there would probably be prawns in there too during there new moon - have a look for them with a dolphin torch and a scoop net) - there would be bream and jew waiting for them on the runout - new moon night, big tides hopefully with more a little swell and wash for cover.

avoca is only about 5minutes away though - so if you're keen on some slightly bigger fish and dont mind putting up with 100000000000000000000000000000 punters there are heaps on the rock platform there (just follow the crowds!) - if you're going to fish the rocks there make sure you're wearing cleats! otherwise stick to the beaches. theres heaps of rat kings, bonnies, salmon, and all the normal light surface pelagics as well as some truly unusual fish sometimes - I know a bloke who spins up spanish mackeral there - these usually occour in the La Nina years (opposite of el nino) or during strong la nina events - last year a couple landbased marlin were landed off the rocks too - decent fish for outside of JB 60 and 80kgs or something. for the light pelagics high speed spin with 65gram raiders etc will get you onto them

also theres winnie bay if you dont mind a hike - sandstone rock platform dropping straight into the water - dangerous spot at times so if you have no experience fishing te rocks - once again stay on the beaches for now. plenty of big jew there at night - fish livies on the bottom - heaps of dirty sharks (whalers etc) too if you have the appropriate gear and dont mind a dour 45minute slugfest! gets boring pretty quick... there are also the usual surface pelagics but nothing like the numbers that turn up at avoca

Comment

Working...
    X