Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whiting hooks

Hi all,
    as i do a bit of fishing on the side, when i can, i've been experimenting with different hooks for KG whiting.
    anyone care to add what thier favorite type & size whiting hook is?
    might put the boom sticks down for the weekend and wet the line in the boat this weekend with the family, so i might try a couple of recomendations.
    thanks in advance.

I use to use long shank hooks but now use circle hooks as they tend not to swallow the things whole. ( better for the little fishes if ya gotta through other small stuff back ) baits used are what ever we got be it strips of chicken squid, prawn, soft plastics. Or hearing ... Good for bait but not bad eating either.

I rain braid line on my boat rod with a snap swivel on the end ( so I can change quick to a diff rig ) if we are in about 15 mtr of water we tend to use hand lines and get the good stuff jewfish ( chicken ) they love it....you might chuckle .... But we have got many very large jewfish with a good lump of chicken Brest last one we got while out before the ban on scales was a good 16 kg ( mate pulled it in on the last throw ) bastard.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by El-Skippo " post=23641
      I use to use long shank hooks but now use circle hooks as they tend not to swallow the things whole. ( better for the little fishes if ya gotta through other small stuff back ) baits used are what ever we got be it strips of chicken squid, prawn, soft plastics. Or hearing ... Good for bait but not bad eating either.

I rain braid line on my boat rod with a snap swivel on the end ( so I can change quick to a diff rig ) if we are in about 15 mtr of water we tend to use hand lines and get the good stuff jewfish ( chicken ) they love it....you might chuckle .... But we have got many very large jewfish with a good lump of chicken Brest last one we got while out before the ban on scales was a good 16 kg ( mate pulled it in on the last throw ) bastard.
      thats intersesting skip - I always wondered what would happen if you launched a slab of chicken thigh fillet into the surf instead of a freshly caught squid!

one of these day I'll have to give it a go... then again the fishing even in metro WA smashes sydney - i heard there are a few clued up guys that nail big spanish every year near perth?

Ahh whiting

I used to catch so many whiting when in 5 meter water fishing for bream , snapper, flatties ect.
    This was before whiting season started.

Since they have really arrived to the island I have purchased a nice light long graphite rod. 2000 reel, 5 pound braid and 8LB black magic fluorocarbon leader.
    I fish the whiting spots and use small and tiny long shank hooks (ant recal the size) The whole hook is probably only 30mm long.

Bait I pump fresh living yabbies, use fresh bay prawns and have tried gulp blood worms.

I fish the right spots at the right times.
    I take my rods out of the holders and lay them low out of the wind

Do I catch whiting? NO I catch bream instead :S :S
    It makes my head hurt !!!
    Today I plan to try using the red tube on my line to help encourage them.

JH

Comment

Skip

Chicken for Jews....

Thanks I will be sleeping on the boat tonight trying this method.

JH

Comment

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by John23" post=23656
        Skip

Chicken for Jews....

Thanks I will be sleeping on the boat tonight trying this method.

JH
        Yep a nice fat chunk on a big hook with hand lines anchored just off the bombies ( if they are there ) they'll find that chicken quick got a couple of sambos too and a shark mackerel with the lump of chicken. The odd pinkys like a bit of chicken too. I don't mind sacrificing a bit of chicken Breast for a nice fat jewie

Not long to the annual fishing trip with the best mate and his old man and his best mate. ( last one was a cracker of a trip ) after the day fishing on the boat .... Its a few brews on the beach chasing mulloway .... But we gotta contend with rays and portjackson sharks.

Where I have will be chasing the jew with this new tip has has been eagle rays jumping out of the water chasing squid.
      If I cant get a jew I should get a run with these rays.

I hate rays ! But these ones are a registered game fish so I am guessing they are more fun

JH

Comment

• El-Skippo
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by John23" post=23662
        Where I have will be chasing the jew with this new tip has has been eagle rays jumping out of the water chasing squid.
        If I cant get a jew I should get a run with these rays.

I hate rays ! But these ones are a registered game fish so I am guessing they are more fun

JH
        I don't mind the old Skippys (skipjacks) when they are on the bite. Good little fighting bastards. They like the chicken too ( long skinny strips with a good 20-30 mm tail from the hook ) on the beaches just before dusk while waiting around for the mulloway .... I try to get a few tailor just on dusk

I am more of a shooter then a fisher. ( my best mates a mad fisher ) but we got the best of both worlds.

Size 2 long shank, double paternoster rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Send-it" post=23639
        Hi all,
        as i do a bit of fishing on the side, when i can, i've been experimenting with different hooks for KG whiting.
        anyone care to add what thier favorite type & size whiting hook is?
        might put the boom sticks down for the weekend and wet the line in the boat this weekend with the family, so i might try a couple of recomendations.
        thanks in advance.
        the hooks you use should be more or less entirely driven by the bait you use - I use long shanks for worms and yabbies (saltwater) but for squid strips or roundish shaped crustaceans like crabs etc a short shanked hook like a small circle or a suicide is more appropriate - if you're fishing in current try to use a straight (non offset) hook like a tarpon (mustad 7766D shape) otherwise your bait will spin and look terrible (you'll also get a birdsnest from hell eventually!)

I also rig all my light tackle fishing gear with perfect knots and line with no nicks etc.. you sometimes hook monster fish while fishing for bread and butter species and if your rigging is perfect and your drag is good you can redline light gear (fishing 70% drag) and fish it nearly as hard as 6-8kg (with the usual 30% drag)

just pick the one that gives you the best presentation with the type of bait you're using

Comment

used a couple of those whiting whackers & whiting snatchers from Black Magic recently.
          seem to work good.
          so now i keep 1 or 2 the the tackle box.
          that's another thing,.........ever noticed how tackle boxes are like gun safes?................you always need a bigger one.

Comment

• Gwion
            Gwion commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Send-it" post=23757
            used a couple of those whiting whackers & whiting snatchers from Black Magic recently.
            seem to work good.
            so now i keep 1 or 2 the the tackle box.
            that's another thing,.........ever noticed how tackle boxes are like gun safes?................you always need a bigger one.
            Haha... sure have. So much so that i upgraded to a tackle room! I keep all my fishing hunting and hiking paraphernalia in there.

Those black magic flashy thingies are good and so are many of the similar jobbies. I tie a few up my self on circle hooks. Not used them on whiting but have used them on snapper.
            As others have said, it's circle hooks or long shanks. From memory (been a few years since serious whiting fishing) around the no.4 mark and down to about no.6.
            I find i have better success when i don't use circles though, because i just can't stop my self from striking on the bite! I've taken to using circles only on the 'set & forget" rod while i actively fish with o'shanasees or some other style of hook depending on target species.

Man, been wanting to get over west to fish for mulloway (and others) for ages... so jealous of you guys being able to do it whenever you like.

Cheers

Gwion

Incedently, I find the whiting heads, with or without the backbone attached, make the best big snapper bait. Squid head second best. But that's me and where I fish. Catch winter whiting, freeze the heads for snapper snacks.

Comment

• Gwion
            Gwion commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Ldrifto" post=23885
            Incedently, I find the whiting heads, with or without the backbone attached, make the best big snapper bait. Squid head second best. But that's me and where I fish. Catch winter whiting, freeze the heads for snapper snacks.
            Yup. Not an uncommon practice because it often proves effective!

We use small circle hooks now, baited with pippi and squid. They hook themselves!

The whiting flasher rigs also work. I used to be a longshank fan, but not anymore. I fish at Mt Eliza and often catch pinkies at the same time as they come through. We have found the circles to hook up consistently.

Good luck

Frank.

Comment

• Snag
            Snag commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to fish for whiting very often. Good fun. Problem is around my area all I seem to catch lately are undersize.

I pump nippers and use them live.

I can't find my light tackle box so I have to guess hook, line and sunker sizes.

Whiting are a highly visual feeder. the coloured beads and tubing work well. Two also means two chances and the odd double hook up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Whitingrig.png
Views:	1
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	39067

Forget about what I said about whiting and my lack of catching them.

Took the rod, live yabbies to the surf beach today and picked up 5 legal fish.
          I even put out a Gulp blood worm at the end of the day which got a nice wack.. The first time I have seen interest in this plastic business.

They sure are fun for a small fish and the amount of meat they provide is a real bonus

I will try the circle hook

JH

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey with the gulp worm did you just treat it like bait or slowly reel or something?

yeah,...got one rig with a red tube on it.
          haven't perceveared with it much.
          but it has worked.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PennonAlutecnos.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	39070
            Here's my whiting kit. :P

Walked into my local Cash Converters and picked up that rod, it's slightly smaller brother (carbon fibre with Alutecnos runners), a G Loomis Hybrid (now my favourite), a G Loomis Palagic and a spooled up Silstar BF 50 reel.
            $400. A good day's shopping.

The big Penn I had to pay retail for.

Comment

Interesting advice!

With your rig snag are the beads and tube running or fixed in that position?
              Would you use that rig in the surf? looks like a tangle to me.

I have been just using a running sinker as I feel it will help maintain a tight line in the surf.

I am NOT a fish eater. For many years I have only eaten squid.
              Today I ate fresh whiting crumbed and fried. It was beautiful ! I will ad some chilli and lime next time to help bring it to my taste.
              Thanks to whiting I think my menu has grown one animal larger.

JH

Comment

• Gwion
                Gwion commented
                Editing a comment
                John, I also love squid! Whiting is very well regarded as one of the 'sweetest' most delicately flavoured fish we have in Australia! In short, YUM!

Your idea with chilly & lime sounds quite tasty too!!!

Cheers

Gwion

• Snag
                Snag commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi JH,

Yes the tube and beads are just threaded on so they end up at the hook as you retrieve.

It pays to advertise.

I've used it in the esturies and in the surf, just need a heavier sinker for the surf. You want to have a decent wieght shock leader. I can't check it, but I am thinking around 20 pounds. Also it's not a bad idea to make the sinker line a bit longer for surf. The dimensions are just a guide. Sometimes I keep the hook lines shorter too.

When I have tied off the leader I trim is close then use a flame to put a "ball" on the line end (in case of knot slip). If you do get tangles this is the most likely culprit.

Generally, the only time I tangle it is if I don't store it properly.

Probably the best advantage is that you get two goes at a hookup. Those little buggers are fast.

circle hooks ............. end of story.

Comment

• Snag
                Snag commented
                Editing a comment
                Are they any good with live bait .. nippers?
            Working...
            X