Bream bait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bream bait

I always remember a big bag of bream I caught on Crescent Head front beach that I caught on big bits of shovel nose shark as bait and using 'Pitzen' knots everywhere I could.

Just so you know!

North Coast bream are in plague proportions at times and will eat anything! while drifting live yakkas and gar out you'll often see a black cloud of doom descend on your helpless livie and eat it alive like a pack of piranhas!

You have to distract them with a dead yakka and quickly send your livie out past them!

Comment

In the old days I got good results with Sneck pattern hooks , snood knots , 4 Ib Abulon line and Hawkesbury prawns .
      You push the hook point into the vent so all the hook goes inside and the point comes out under the legs so it can't be seen .
      Although If something bigger hits , you usually loose it on 4 lb line . So if that happened a few times I switch to heavier line .

Comment

• sirus17
        sirus17 commented
        Editing a comment
        love fishing bream on light, i use a 1lb on a tiny pfluegar reel i found at the back of a shelf in bcf, so much fun!

Up here its sometimes hard to get away from the old bream... The small ones are the worst as you seem to be catching the same one every couple minutes ... But its a lot of fun if you have impatient kids as it keeps them occupied and they enjoy fishing more when your actually catching something...

Bream up here are good on the old packet prawn, or if your targeting them or larger ones fresh mullet gut is the go to bait... My brother has had a lot of success with soft plastics in the last couple months... But the dry will only last so long and I hope this year we dont get a load of rain like the last few, so we can get out and do some fishing in the new year...

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Luke H" post=17715
        Up here its sometimes hard to get away from the old bream... The small ones are the worst as you seem to be catching the same one every couple minutes ... But its a lot of fun if you have impatient kids as it keeps them occupied and they enjoy fishing more when your actually catching something...

Bream up here are good on the old packet prawn, or if your targeting them or larger ones fresh mullet gut is the go to bait... My brother has had a lot of success with soft plastics in the last couple months... But the dry will only last so long and I hope this year we dont get a load of rain like the last few, so we can get out and do some fishing in the new year...
        I liked the rain as I had a top spot near the Stockton bridge where a large drain came out into the river . It drained a large swamp area and after rain it would run flat out into the river carrying all kinds of organic material . I would stand on the pipe and throw unweighted baits into the current and hook up within seconds. The only thing was you had to be quick as the black bream would dart in under the rocks and cut you off on the oysters. Now they have built factories on the swampland and it's ruined the fishing .

Around lake Mc and northern beaches, we use strips, cubes of steak and or live poddy mullet, 2/3kg line no weight.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        in sydney I use live yabbies and strips of chicken but most things will work on bream - good fresh prawns live micro poddies, plastics etc...

I'm probably most confident with a live yabbie out at night though (a long 6lb leader and a pea sized sinker)

Mullet flesh and mullet gut is the king of bream baits!

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by theduke78" post=17728
        Mullet flesh and mullet gut is the king of bream baits!
        stinks!

I've never tried it but I'm told that chips are good bait for bream.

Comment

When they are on I dont think there would be too many things they wont eat, bread, chicken, chips, ham anything in your esky/lunch box when you run out of bait.

Also just on the flash of a hook, throw out an unbaited line to untangle pull in and catch them (mouth not jagged). Reasonably common with pelagics but wouldnt think bream would be that keen.

Comment

Sandworms were always my favourite bait for bream. In the Gippsland Lakes and 90 mile beach in eastern Victoria they were pretty reliable. Flathead didn't mind them either.
          I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

A guy once gave me the GPS coordinates of all the deep holes in and around the Hunter river but I lost them in a computer crash and now he has moved and I have lost contact with him .
            I am not a great fishermen by any strech of the imagination . I get lucky now and then and that's about it.
            An old guy I knew years ago showed me how to use sneck pattern hooks and that did improve my hook up rate using prawns .
            I have tried buying beach worms but they did not work any better than fresh prawns . Fresh caught ones would be better I reckon.
            I did have a beach rod when I was younger a Butterworth MT 7 x 144 one piece and another the same in two piece. Eventually I gave the one piece away as my back started going out when casting .
            I find the main problem now is finding someone to fish with . I can hunt on my own but I hate fishing on my own I find it too boring that way . People want to come fishing but not pay for any bait or fuel and they don't even stick around to help with the boat .
            So I sold my boat and just have a tinny now that I never use .

Comment

Working...
            X