Fishing off Mornington today - fishing report.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing off Mornington today - fishing report.

Hey guys hired a dinghy for 4 hours today and headed out to 19m about 2km off Mornington pier, after getting the boat out and anchored we git our gear ready and chucked out some burley within the first hour we had multiple nibbles that were to small to be a snapper or pinkie after that first hour we reeled up our lines for a bait check 2 of the 3 rods were baited and the one with remaining bait wasn't looking to healthy!
    Second hour we switched spots and threw over our whole and half pillies within 10 minutes my dads rod started bending then bending then... Bending the drag went off but my dad was at the other side of the boat and didn't get there in time for the strike ):.
    We reeled in the bait and my dads bait had a bit about 2cm deep and 5cm long id guess a large flatty but its hard to tell.
    The next hour was fairly quite so i made my bait smaller and decided to target some flatties i threw my rod with paternoster rig off the side and within 30 seconds BINGO fish on it was only a small flathead 30cm and was happily releases although he ate the hook so deep it pierced its eyeball! ): he seemed to swim off happy though.
    I rebaited and dropped the line another minute and ive landed another small flathead but this one was small ( 23cm ) and was also happily released although seemed to vomit up some pinkish mulch looking stuff can anyone comfirm what this is?
    Dropped my bait and got another 3 flatties ( 25cm to 29cm ) .
    We headed back to be told that some kayakers using soft plastics along the pylons of the un accessible part off Mornington pier were reeling in snapper to 3kg!
    Id say due to the high wind and currents off the past few weeks has got the snapper in close and its now a good time for land based snapper if a boat is un accessible if your after land based snapper id try mt martha rocks, Mornington pier, Brighton breack water, and lagoon pier.
    If you have access to a boat id recommend drop anchor around 100-200m off the rocks to left of the Mornington pier or a few hundred meters off the mt martha rocks, both of these areas are reefs close inshore that are firing up around now.
    Any rig is fine but i prefer the paternoster rig ( google it ) for bait id highly recommend pilchards but squid and silver whiting will be fine people are also having success with soft plastics such as berkley gulp flick-baits in colors like nuclear chicken and lime tiger in 5inch for smaller snapper and flatiies and 7inch for larger ones.
    Try to fish with a light as possible sinker, id recommend 4.0 octopus or circle hooks.
    Swivels don't matter much but i prefer black ones because a picky fish will be less likely notice them over brass swivels.
    Currently I'm looking for a good quality rod and reel for my birthday to try and target snapper on light gear, I've being using 12lb main line with 40kg leader but am looking for around 6lb with 20kg or so leader id be using the drag system alot and i wouldn't mind if i had a few breack offs I'm just after a good challenge! Any suggestions guys?
    If you have any snapper tips, tricks or spots it would be great if you could share,
    If I've got some info wrong please correct me.
    Tight lines and happy shooting.
    A13

Mate,

sometimes big snapper nibble. Nothing to lose by striking if you sense something is nibbling, especially at this time of year. I use 25 or 30lb fluro leader, mainline will be anything from 12 - 30 lb mono or braid. Fresh bait such as squid or salmon fillets are good too. Snapper catchers work, but I usually fish a running sinker on a blue or red plastic thingo and about 1 metre of fluro to either a 3/0 or 3/0 and 5/0 hook.

Inshore reefs are always worth a look with a soft plastic as well - first and last light . Bereley up REAL hard next time you are in the boat and have a spin stick with a metal slice ready to go. All sorts of things can turn up.....

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by fxol" post=56129
      Mate,

sometimes big snapper nibble. Nothing to lose by striking if you sense something is nibbling, especially at this time of year. I use 25 or 30lb fluro leader, mainline will be anything from 12 - 30 lb mono or braid. Fresh bait such as squid or salmon fillets are good too. Snapper catchers work, but I usually fish a running sinker on a blue or red plastic thingo and about 1 metre of fluro to either a 3/0 or 3/0 and 5/0 hook.

Inshore reefs are always worth a look with a soft plastic as well - first and last light . Bereley up REAL hard next time you are in the boat and have a spin stick with a metal slice ready to go. All sorts of things can turn up.....
      Thanks mate im going out this monday for the reds ill try the running sinker as its my most commonly use rig from piers and other landbased things, we'll be heading out at 5:30am and where using size 4 circle hooks, ill pick up some ezyrigs ( blue and red thingies) and burley hard.

Try using 15-20lb black magic tough trace for leader material.... You will catch plenty of big fish on it.... There are a few things ou can do like bigger baits, less hits but less pickers and bigger fish.... Also with the depth you are fishing, using a big bait with a snelled rig, 2 5/0 black magic circle hooks, you should try and not use any sinkers at all but if you need some weight use a little as possible on a running style rig straight to the top of the snell....
    I throw sub-moa rocks

If you heard the shot, you weren't the target

Comment

Working...
    X