Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trout - any favourites

Gday,
    Heading of to a wedding end of October near Oberon. I'll have the day before it free and wanted to flick some lures an have a look for some trout. I've got a nice little outfit I use with soft plastics or vibes for bream that I'll be taking. I was hoping for some suggestions on any favourite hardbodies? spinners? ?? things that catch trout. I've not gone after trout before. An too many hobies, won't be mastering fly before I go. Would've been great to wander around Gurnang or Vulcan for a bit, but this'll be good too.

Cheers O

Great fun, great little fighter and just the beginning of the trout season.

Used to have several hundred Raimbow Trout in my farm dams. Maybe some left but they were restocked with Silver and Golden Perch.

Cook and eat the trout fresh, don't dry them out if possible. Loved them wrapped in foil, lemon juice / slices, butter and a little herbs baked in the oven or roasting rack on a hooded BBQ.

Frozen in comparison I felt they tasted dry like a piece of cardboard.

Nothing like walking down to the dam here 100m away, catching a fish and straight on the BBQ.

Yum......

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      If you're just after something simple & easy to use, that's cheaper then buying rapala & quicker then buying from china, then I would suggest going to k-mart & buying a couple of 4 packs of tassie devil lures in various colours.

Kmart charge a couple of bucks less then rays outdoors or bcf, they are easy to use and have always yielded good results for me.

Thanks guys, i'll grab some Tassie devils, take some smaller plastics as well. The only bibbed floating I've got are 15cm barra bombers, might be a touch too big. I bounce/twitch plastic crays for flathead, would that work with trout, or just stick with something that swims/vibrates through the water??

Comment

Personally, I think, if you are fishing for trout in a lake, you have a better chance of catching them by just setting up a couple of bait rods and waiting as the trout seem to circle the edges of lakes and dams every so often to feed, if you do choose to use a bait setup, light line, light running sinker (as light as you can manage, still being able to cast it far enough) and a small, small hook, I've found that power bait works surprisingly well on trout, but there are often times when the trustworthy garden worm triumphs. Best part about bait fishing for trout is that you can just chuck the lines in and go have a cuppa and watch them. If bait fishing isn't your deal and you like to be more interactive there are many methods you can use, soft plastics, celta lures, hard bodied lures to name a few...
      I assume that you'll be fishing land based, in my experience, when land based fishing for trout with lures, I have found celta lures and Berkeley, worm
      Soft plastics to be the most effective, but unfortunately with soft plastics and lure fishing, it can take a lot of stuffing around, changing methods and different colour/style/action lures untill you find a combination effective for that given situation. But don't give up, persistence and patience is key with fishing in my opinion.
      Hopefully you can gain something from my ramblings, thanks.
      Regards,
      War_machine.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Ive caught a lot of trout on a 7gm tassie devil in rainbow trout pattern.

99.999% of my fishing is saltwater but all of the trout I've caution were in the wollondilly River. They all fell to a cube of fatty pork or chicken unweighted and slowly drifted down the water column! This was before they invented plastics... Also caught macquarie perch on unweighted drifting beef cubes + heaps of different saltwater bread and butter type species on drifted baits. I reckon a live drifted worm would be dynamite! cast it out and feed line out to it while it's drifting (like a micro tuna cube)

If I had to guess which lures I'd pick a small bream type plastic (and try to match the bait species in the area - shrimp and nymphs around reeds or small fish if you can see them) pick a jig head just heavy enough to have it sink slowly - around 1m every 4-5 seconds or so.

If the waterway was big and appeared featureless I'd use something that I could cast a long way to 'search' it- like a spoon. Gold wonder wobblers and Abu Tobys (if you can find them) or pegrons were all good trout lures back in the day. Theyre not cool now but they should still work.

Once you locate the fish you can switch back to a more subtle presentation (sp's/ baits etc)

Comment

Originally posted by foo" post=3890
        Gday,
        Heading of to a wedding end of October near Oberon. I'll have the day before it free and wanted to flick some lures an have a look for some trout. I've got a nice little outfit I use with soft plastics or vibes for bream that I'll be taking. I was hoping for some suggestions on any favourite hardbodies? spinners? ?? things that catch trout. I've not gone after trout before. An too many hobies, won't be mastering fly before I go. Would've been great to wander around Gurnang or Vulcan for a bit, but this'll be good too.

Cheers O
        Hey Foo,

A lot of your plastics and bream vibes will also work on trout. Plackies: slow & twitch. Anything that resembles a baby redfin, carp, trout or the like will work, but hey, trout are trout, they'll hit just about anything that is in front of their face unless they've seen you first! Bream and trout fishing are not all that dissimilar so you should be right if you can reliably catch bream.

Remember, fish move but structure doesn't. Trout are lazy & territorial. Fish are just fish and fishermen catch fish.

Have fun!

Click image for larger version

Name:	RemoteCreekTrout04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	23335

Name:	RemoteCreekTrout09.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	23337

Name:	RemoteCreekTrout11.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	23336
        List to tick off:
        - TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
        - TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
        - wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
        - TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
        - TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
        - Comp dies for 7mm-08
        - Case annealer
        - Custom dies for wild cat

Comment

Best tasting trout is 5 mins after it was caught. You just make a quick fire next to mountain stream stick the whole fish on the fire no foil nothing and take it off peel the skin off and inside you have the best freshest fish ever bloody nice.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Have about 3km of nice trout stream running through the farm,
            My favourite is still the vibrax spinner, has been catching fish for me for 25 years and still works just as well.
            The rapala CD3 and 5 in rainbow or brown trout patterns also work well in my small water. If your fishing bigger streams or lakes then it would be worth going up in size.

Oct 2009 My wife and I were at bathurst 1000 for 5 days, so on the Friday we when to Oberon Dam, I caught 2 Trout on Tassie devils .
          The big one went 47cm , a big fat dam feed beast he was , this was my 1st ever Trout.
          Since im from Qld dont get much trout fishing, but I have also tried with no luck the Tumut river, that 2009 roadtrip we went to NSW, into Vic, into SA and back by Vic and nsw and fished the Murray river in 3 states and never caught a thing Thats fresh water fishing for ya
          Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
          Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
          Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
          Ruger American .22wmr
          BSA SuperSport XL .22
          Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
          Boito Miura U/O 12ga

Comment

• Gwion
            Gwion commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Mack260rem" post=10760
            Oct 2009 My wife and I were at bathurst 1000 for 5 days, so on the Friday we when to Oberon Dam, I caught 2 Trout on Tassie devils .
            The big one went 47cm , a big fat dam feed beast he was , this was my 1st ever Trout.
            Since im from Qld dont get much trout fishing, but I have also tried with no luck the Tumut river, that 2009 roadtrip we went to NSW, into Vic, into SA and back by Vic and nsw and fiched the Murray river in 3 states and never caught a thing Thats fresh water fishing for ya
            Hey Mack.

Pardon the pun, but fresh water fishing is a different kettle of fish all together from salt water fishing.

Adjusting from northern salt water/estuary fishing to southern fresh water fishing would be extremely frustrating with out some specific changes in techniques and tackle. Some general fishing techniques are interchangeable from species to species and location to location; others are very specific. I learned the hard way in the early 2000s when i moved from Melb to Townsville for 6 months.

I now have about 16 rods and 20+ reels to suit just about any angling scenario i may come across, Australia wide. I just kit up with terminal tackle according to where i am heading.

My wife's more than a bit worried i'm going to do the same with shooting. She needn't worry, there's no way i can afford (or justify) that array of firearms!

Fly fishing for trout isn't that much of a mystery. A bit frustrating at first. Getting taught by someone who knows is the best way to start. It's either dry fly fishing or using nymphs and the like under water. Come summer when the trout are rising freely is my favourite time in the alpine rivers of N/E Vic. My go to dry flies are a Caddis and Kosciuszko Dun pattern. I use a fairly old GL3 G-Loomis 5 weight rod, Scientific Angler reel and weight forward floating line and 12' leader.. Had a lot more success with a fly than chucking lures or worms around.

And I always take the .30-06 along in case a deer shows up.
          I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

• Gwion
            Gwion commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=11166
            Fly fishing for trout isn't that much of a mystery. A bit frustrating at first. Getting taught by someone who knows is the best way to start. It's either dry fly fishing or using nymphs and the like under water. Come summer when the trout are rising freely is my favourite time in the alpine rivers of N/E Vic. My go to dry flies are a Caddis and Kosciuszko Dun pattern. I use a fairly old GL3 G-Loomis 5 weight. Had a lot more success with a fly than chucking lures or worms around.

And I always take the .30-06 along in case a deer shows up.
            Complete agreement with the success rate on fly v other trout techniques.
            Fishing NE Vic freestone streams there is a very high likelyhood of seeing deer. Last time i fished my fav NE creek, peered around a corner to see if there were fish rising in the next glide and there was a doe staring right at me, about 15-20m away.

Celta spinners. The smallest ones in red. Gets 'em every single time.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. Bit geed up with all the advice, wedding was this weekend, but with all the bushfire activity wouldn't have felt right wandering the bush anywhere near the mountains. So, with the fire situation shaping up the week before I bolted to Victoria, tinny in tow (10 days ago), first trip to Alpine Victoria ever. Took the old man down, total role reversal now, he's getting on an I'm enjoying getting him onto fish. Took a smattering of tackle down, but ended up sticking with the packet of Tassie devils I bought, trolled them unweighted, other boats all seemed to be using downriggers, had a great day, 3 fish, i'll try an throw up a pic of the best. Can't wait to get back back down without the boat an 82 year old (he'll be lake trips only), walk some mountain creek/rivers, I prefer flicking to trolling any day. Think the Victorian bug has bit too, bit bloody good down there hey,

Cheers guys

Name:	victrout.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	37088

Comment

Working...
            X