Encouraging worms to your garden...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encouraging worms to your garden...

Any tips on this, as I need worms for fishing and my garden seems to be void of them, I've been making sure the soils moist and there is matter that needs breaking down present for the worms to feed on....
    Failing this where else should I look for worms?
    Thanks

Compost bins always work well. Also a great way to dispose of any vegetable scraps, old bread etc. Although you misses might want to eventually steel it for the garden haha.

Comment

few biscuits of straw keeps it nice and soggy underneath.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Worms come out at night, but torches scare them off. We had ones a foot long at Lorn 2320!
        Try leaving a flat sheet of something laying in the garden for a few days/week and lift it up, likely to be worms underneath. They come upwards but avoid the light!

Buy yourself a Worm Farm or build one where they can't escape. Normal garden worms like "Milk Worms" aren't real attractive to fish. Get some "Blood Worms" and/or capture them and put them in a place that's restrictive then feed them.

Vegie scraps, lawn clippings if they contain clover, straw, newspaper etc like mentioned a compost heap that doesn't get wet but just damp and keep it that way.

Keep it covered with the likes of hessan so it's cool, dark and moist. Dig with a fork and fill the tub with heaps of fat juicy worms.... My fishing spot is 100m from my front door.... Silver & Golden Perch around 2.5kg.

Comment

• Varminator
        Varminator commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Mega" post=17347
        Buy yourself a Worm Farm or build one where they can't escape. Normal garden worms like "Milk Worms" aren't real attractive to fish. Get some "Blood Worms" and/or capture them and put them in a place that's restrictive then feed them.

Vegie scraps, lawn clippings if they contain clover, straw, newspaper etc like mentioned a compost heap that doesn't get wet but just damp and keep it that way.

Keep it covered with the likes of hessan so it's cool, dark and moist. Dig with a fork and fill the tub with heaps of fat juicy worms.... My fishing spot is 100m from my front door.... Silver & Golden Perch around 2.5kg.
        Yeap that's pretty much what I did, bought a heap of red wrigglers from memory, had an old wash tube (concrete) and put a heap of cow poo, horse poo, grass clippings etc (did it in layers and put heaps of wet newspaper between the layers put the worms in and kept them in a cool place, put a hessian bag on top and keep it wet fairly well and the worms absolutely thrived - had works on tap for when I wanted to chase some bass etc.

Pick up a bag of sheepshit from a roadside farm gate. $2-$5
      Pick up a bale of straw from a produce or horse place(or farm gate) $7-$10
      Lay the sheep shit about 2" thick.
      Water profusely.
      Cover with straw, at least 10"-12" thick, break up and "fluff" the biscuits to loose straw.
      Water again, well.
      This time of year you could have worms in as little as 10-14 days.
      Don't let chooks near it as they'll scratch it to pieces.
      After removing your worms for fishing, plant something edible in it, it's like gold.

just sayin'.

Comment

A bale or two of Lucerne Hay is far better than Straw, full of nitrogen and will enrich the soil to help it break down the vegitable matter. Horse and Cow Manure is better than Sheep as it contains less weed seeds, Sheep manure that is very well seasoned is okay, like the stuff that's been under a Shearing Shed for 20 years.

Be wary of Horse Manure, it's the best but wear gloves as it contains Tetanus Spores, make sure your shots are up to date if you do play. Horse Manure is the very best for any garden. Cow Manure well dampened and preferably broken down in a drum (44 Gallon) and tipped on the compost heap.

A little bit of Agricultural Lime and Fertiliser ..... Spread Lime around your garden plot in a ring will keep Snails and Slugs away, they won't cross the line as it burns their guts.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for all the good info everyone, ill be putting it to good use and hopefully ill end up with some golden perch for the table
          Cheers

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          i was cost cutting :lol:
      Working...
      X