Jerky recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerky recipes

I'm going to make beef jerky this weekend, some of mine have been hit and miss.
    What are some recipes that work for you?

ive been making jerky for years, a quick recipe that always goes down well;
    i use the real thin minute steak that woolies sell, make a marinade from a bit of soy sauce, peper steak seasoning, and a touch of vinegar and chilli flakes.
    i leave that over night, then put it all on the wire rack in the oven on about 70-80 degrees(the lowest setting)
    and i put a wooden spoon in the door of the oven so it doesnt close all the way...and leave it for about 3 hours, turning half way.

then ask the missus to wash up as it leaves the wire racks encrusted with marinande and meat

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by bottleinspector" post=7549
      then ask the missus to wash up as it leaves the wire racks encrusted with marinande and meat
      :lol: I'll have to try that, and the recipe too. Been wanting to do jerky for a while and that sounds like a good way.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      i use the real thin minute steak that woolies sell, make a marinade from a bit of soy sauce, peper steak seasoning, and a touch of vinegar and chilli flakes.
      i leave that over night, then put it all on the wire rack in the oven on about 70-80 degrees(the lowest setting)
      and i put a wooden spoon in the door of the oven so it doesnt close all the way...and leave it for about 3 hours, turning half way.

I do very much the same as above.
      The only differences are that I use a sweet red wine (Muscato) instead of vinegar, I add garlic & use a better cut of meat.

I built a cold smoker & used that too but I still think the open oven method works very well, the only thing with the smoker is well.....the smoke

Put the meat in the freezer for only 10 - 20 Mins, just enough to firm it up a bit & makes cutting it into thin strips much easier.
      The thinner it is (& more consistant it is) the quicker & more consistant the drying is.
      Make sure you remove all fat because it will turn rancid.

Mick.

• Bricktop
      Bricktop commented
      Editing a comment

Made some using your method, only sliced up Topside instead of minute steak, put some red wine and pepper in too. Bloody beautiful, only one problem...... the kids ate the lot. :lol:

I don't have a recipe but my boss at work is a South African and I can tell you his home made "Biltong" as he calls it is amazing, he buys the pre mixed stuff from a South African shop here in aus and it is excellent.

Cheers

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      A pre mix might be worth a look.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Nathan.S" post=7559
      I don't have a recipe but my boss at work is a South African and I can tell you his home made "Biltong" as he calls it is amazing, he buys the pre mixed stuff from a South African shop here in aus and it is excellent.

Cheers
      there is a south african sho near the city in sydney that make there own billtong and it tastes great but it always give me the trots.
      biltong is air dried rather than heat cured like "american" style jerky, and they usually do it as a whole iece of meat and slice it later, it makes me wonder is the meat in the middle of the chunk curing or going off slowly?

The way the boss explained it to me is, he cuts the meat as thin or as thick as he likes it then coats in the "Biltong" mix which is a dry mix then he hangs it outside in a cupboard with windows cut out and covered with very fine mesh so no insects/flies get in for 3-4 days then it is ready. I have had this myself and it is beautiful, also it does not matter too much what part of the cow you use.

Cheers

Comment

• i8ian4t
      i8ian4t commented
      Editing a comment
      Best jerky starts with the best Worcester sauce!

There are a few good recipes. If you do a google search. After a few batches they are all good just Over do the cloves and Treacle! I make 15l batches now. Everyone loves it!

I like mine hot. Dehydrate a mix of chillies (habanaros. Ghost and thai) and grind them into a powder with a bit of salt and pepper!

Is there a difference between Biltong and Jerky other than one being South African and the other being American? I buy Biltong from a South African deli in Brisbane and its awesome. I've always wanted to make my own but I doubt I could do as well as the local deli can.

Comment

• i8ian4t
      i8ian4t commented
      Editing a comment
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong

Give it a go making it, You will be surprised, even your worst attempt will be 100% better then normal store bought jerky,
      My wife wouldn't eat jerky at all.. I made her try a little square,. no shit, she ate my FULL batch, (use ~2kg of topside roast)

only rules I'd say too follow are trim as much fat off as possible (doesn't dry out, it will go bad if not eaten with in a couple of days)
      and try anything, mate does one with promite, its good,

You do not need any store bought spice mixes. Just Salt/Pepper/Coriander seeds & vinegar

Cut your meat against the grain around 1cm thick - opposite to what you would cut a cooking steak
    Layer it up in a plastic container adding a small handfull of rock salt and 1/4 cup of vinegar per layer. Keep layering until all the meat is finished. Leave for 4 hours, turing the meat by hand every hour.
    Empty off any liquid and remove any remaining rock salt - I just run each piece between thumb and forefinger. Place back in container, Add Ground black pepper and crushed coriander seeds to taste.
    Hang where the flies can't get at it and put a fan on it - Be pedantic about flies or you WILL get maggots - I made a biltong box to keep them off
    Try not to make biltong on really humid days - as it takes a long time to dry
    Fat is fine - the salt will cure it and it gives the biltong good taste. Cut it off before eating if you don't like it

Should be ready to eat in 2 - 3 days

Enjoy

Comment

I noticed that nobody has mentioned Liquid Smoke. I use Hickory in mine ... with heaps of Garlic.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I buy biltong from www.proteafoods.com
        I go into the shop and always leave with a few kilograms of biltong and my wallet strangely, considerably lighter :P
        They do mail order, but be warned, this stuff is seriously addictive!
        They are located in Cheltenham Victoria

Ask a South African!! they know how to make the best!!!
      Shift change night up here turns into a jerky vs biltong night and biltong always wins

Comment

I love Beef Jerky, and I love Stout. A packet of stokkies and 1/2 a carton and I reckon my farts could weld aluminium..
        Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

I'm a bit late in tgis thread but be taken to using some commercial mixes, the country brewer sells some good stuff for making jerky

I use a dehydrator and usually buy topside steak as its very lean then cut 5mm slices. Apply mix and water and leave over night. Then lay out in the dehydrator for a few hours, the commercial mixes contain preserving salts which means you don't have to worry about poisoning your mates.

My current favourite is the garlic and black pepper

Steve

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            You will get the best results with a dehydrator. Use the highest setting normally this is 150f. At 150 the internal temperature reaches a safe level to kill off any bacteria.
            I like to give mine 9 or 10 hours to really remove all the moisture. The jerky is harder but it keeps longer.
            I store it in an air tight container with loads of salt. Bacteria need warmth moisture close to neutral ph and a food source to reproduce. If you remove one or more of these things the food won't spoil. By using vinegar in the marinade removing the moisture and storing in salt to keep that moisture out will keep it fresh without refrigeration.
            Just flick off the excess salt and crack a beer.

Recipe I've been working on for about 5 years now

Topside beef 1 – 1.5 kgs, fat trimmed, 4-5mm thick cut against the grain
          1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
          1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
          1 cup dark soy sauce
          1 teaspoon garlic powder
          1 teaspoon ginger powder
          1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
          1 teaspoon onion powder
          1 teaspoon brown sugar

If you eat it within a couple of days as I tend to do then I don't add any extra salt. If I plan to keep it for a while then I add a teaspoon of pink curing salt which treats about 2.2kgs of meat and marinade combined.

If you're a fan of chilli you can add

1 tablespoon chilli powder
          1 tablespoon dried chilli flakes

The chilli flakes don't add much heat but its a great visual deterrent to stop the kids eating it all!

Marinade for 24hrs then dehydrate for about 4.5 - 5 hours in a good food dehydrator

Cheers

Jug
          "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything"

Comment

Working...
          X