Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about Goat

Jeez i'm posting like the avon lady today!! :lol:
    Once me 06 rocks up me and my brother are going after a few goats (Northern WA)
    so if you guys and Lady's dont mind can you tell me about Goat meat??

Good meat and love it!

Easiest way is couple of back legs of the small ones, into an oven bag for about an hour, yum!

Also in camp oven with a few spices makes a good feed.

Pretty well cook it like lamb really!

Comment

ive only ever had it in a variety of different curries, both at work and from a couple of the fijian/indian fellas i work with.
      i love the taste of it, i reminds me of lamb but a bit more hoggartish, which i like personally....goat just seems to have more flavour than lamb.

the guys at work tell me that it needs to be stewed/slow cooked, i hope to put that theory to the test myself if i can bag one on the weekend

Comment

To me goat is similar to Lamb but with a bit more flavour, its a lean cut of meat so over cooking it isn't a good way to go, I usually cook the legs in those oven bags with a bit of added moisture to keep them moist. It might take you a couple of goes until you get it right but it's worth learning how to cook it.
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

cheers guys
          i heard its like lamb, sounds good
          curried sounds good too

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            we buy it (i know, i know but i don't have any access to properties where there are goats)

i buy a shoulder and cube it for indian style curries. also it's good souvee'd as it stays moist.

there are loads of indian and morocan recipies on the net, have a read of the SSAA article in the link

steve

http://www.ssaa.org.au/stories/cooking-preparing-and-cooking-goat.html#.UkqcHtJmjLQ

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah it's like a stronger lamb.

I tend to only curry it but have spit roasted one before that came out good

Goat /lamb much the same cooking techniques.

Naturally we only cook the young ones. I can't begin to imagine cooking and old billie...Goat a la Urine?

Mind you I do have a few recipes for sheep's gonads.

The greek method is my favourite. Long and slow wet cooking. 5 hrs at 150c for a leg or shoulder.

Chop up the goat meat or joints to fit your pot / camp oven. Heat the pot and put in a few tablespoons of oil, typically olive oil. get it nice and hot and brown/seal each meat cut. Take the meat out and lightly fry garlic and onions. Put the meat in and add any herbs that you want. Add liquid to almost cover. Water and white wine is my choice, but you can use whatever is at hand. Salt, pepper , stock cubes, you can add a few anchovies if you want to head in that direction.

Put the lid on and apply to heat. Make sure you get campfire heat even and maintainable. After 3 hours add your spuds and whatever else you want in the mix. Should be ready to season by the five hour mark. You can thicken the liquid with corn flour if you want. Mix 1 tablespoon of corn flour with 2 tablespoons cold water, then gradually add to the stew. I often drain off the liquid, skim the fat off, thicken it and put it back, but that's not so easy in the bush. You might need more than on tablespoon so add more, but remember that it has to cook a while to thicken the sauce. Take it slowly, you don't want Goat A La Quikset.

You can use wheat or other flour to thicken the sauce. Wheat flour needs to be mixed with hot water, not cold.

If you are organised you might just have some bread ready too.

Comment

Sounds like a winner guys cheers
            once we do the trip ill set up some photos and stories.

then i want to do a trip to NT

Comment

Leave it on the bone.

Jamiacans do a fantastic rendition of goat curry, much different to the Indian style we've all probably tried at some point. The marrow is essential, so leg chops are the go.

Long, slow cooks are the best. A basic recipe that I use when camping is:

Prep Time 1/2 Hour.

2 kilo goat, on the bone, in chunks (don't hack that blade up, use a cleaver/axe/tomahawk)
              3 Onions, diced.
              1 Kilo potato, peeled and quartered
              1 Head of garlic (about 10 cloves) peeled and crushed
              A walnut sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and crushed
              2 x 440gm tins Tomato (whole, chopped whatever)
              1 TBS Black Mustard Seeds
              1 TBS Yellow Mustard Seeds
              1 TBS Fennel Seed
              5 TBS Keens Curry Powder
              1/4 cup oil.
              1 cup of water.
              1/3 cup tomato sauce
              Soy Sauce

Get that camp oven on the coals or even direct fire, and get the oil smoking.

Add both mustard seeds, and fennel seeds, and cover. Listen for the popping.

When the popping stops, take the pan off the direct heat and onto the coals if not on coals already. If the coals are mega hot, remove from the heat altogether for a short time whilst adding the next step.
              Basically, the Seeds will burn easily whilst they are in the oil on their own, so the removal from the heat source is why we do this. If the seeds continue to sizzle, they go bitter.

Add the Onions, Garlic and Ginger to the pan. Need enough heat to keep it sizzling now, so return to heat immediately or as soon as sizzling dies down. Let the mixture cook for two or three minutes.
              Mix the curry powder into the cup of water and stir it.

After the onions have cooked for two or three minutes, add the curry powder/water mixture. Try not to inhale, it burns. Let the water cook out and evaporate over the next minute or two, until you have a slurry of curry colored stuff in the pan that smells awesome.

Now add the goat, and gently work through the curry paste for 5 minutes with a wooden spoon or whatever.. The heat should be medium low, just enough to keep the meat searing and bubbling gently, not frying. High temperature now will kill the curry paste. Put the lid on and let simmer for 15 mins. If it looks too dry, add a 1/2 cup of water and close the lid again.

Time to add the 2 tins of tomatoes.

Let it cook for an hour with the lid on. If needed, add some water to maintain a wet mixture.

After an hour, add the spuds, stir and close the lid. Cook for another 45mins.

About now, you might want to add a good squirt of tomato sauce, this will give it sweetness.
              Its also time to season it. Use Soy sauce if you have it, but Salt will do perfectly.

Eat it with flat bread cooked over the fire, or some steamed rice or whatever else you fancy.

For those that never cook rice on camping trips, its like this: 2 Cups of Rice to 3 Cups of water. Close the lid and boil. If it keeps boiling over, its too hot so remove some coals. If you don't have cup measures, use the finger method: Put your index finger pointing straight down into a pot and touch the base of that pot. Add rice until the level of rice reaches the first knuckle crease on your finger tip. Then, add cold water, filling up the pot until the water level reached the SECOND knuckle crease. Then put the lid on and boil for usually about 12 minutes, but keep an eye on it if its your first time. (yes, remove your finger before boiling)

Some people may enjoy a particular JA MAY KAHN past time just before bed to aid in digestion and a fookin' fantastic sleep
              Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

Guest commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahaha nice mate.
                i'll certainly try this one and the rest.
                after the goat trip i'll let you all know how it went and how the recipies went too
                cheers
            Working...
            X