Split chicken in Camp Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split chicken in Camp Oven

This is also another favourite feed we have around the campfire - She's a simple dish that I will get ready early which allows me to go play with the guns for a while whist dinner is cooking.

Ingredients:-
    1 Split Chicken (I get the Wollies ones (Chilli and Garlic or Cracked Pepper)
    any veggies you want to Roast with it

So I dig a hole and put a heap of coals in it, place the camp oven on it, put the Trivet in, place the spuds and pumpkin, onions etc in then its just a matter of putting the split chicken on top, season to taste, put the lid on and put some coals on the lid and jobs done, come back in 40mins or so and check to see everything is ok and if the chickens cooked take it off and get stuck in.

The veg generally won't be crunchy this way due to the moisture from the chook etc so if you want crunchy spuds cook them in a separate oven or you could put them on top after rolling them in some oil that should see them crisp up slightly.

Either way its a quick and easy one pot feed that doesn't need a lot of looking after if you know what your doing, great for those times when the clays are calling and your having too much fun to be standing around the hot campfire cooking.

cheers
    Whacking Varmints is my passion!

I'm yet to find a better method of doing a roast chook other than the Camp Oven.
    Home Oven, Charcoal beer keg spit, Oven bags, nothing matches it.
    Belly up & cook it til the legs start to fall away from the body.......mmmm, now I'm gett'n hungry

I agree on the spuds/veg.
    We always do ours in a separate oven to get them nicely browned.
    Tossed in a bowl with a little oil, salt & pepper then into a dry camp oven.

Mick.

Comment

• Varminator
      Varminator commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by BillyBushCook" post=11699
      I'm yet to find a better method of doing a roast chook other than the Camp Oven.
      Home Oven, Charcoal beer keg spit, Oven bags, nothing matches it.
      Belly up & cook it til the legs start to fall away from the body.......mmmm, now I'm gett'n hungry

I agree on the spuds/veg.
      We always do ours in a separate oven to get them nicely browned.
      Tossed in a bowl with a little oil, salt & pepper then into a dry camp oven.

Mick.
      G'day Mick, I like the Split ones as they cook fairly quickly which is great when ya had a few! and definitely the way you do the spuds is the same for me, give em a good coating of oil, salt, pepper etc and roast em up, another good way to do the spuds it boil em first, then let em cool down and ruff em up a bit and then cook em, they get quite crunchy doing em that way.

Cheers mate
Working...
X