Chilli and Garlic Prawns around the campfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilli and Garlic Prawns around the campfire

This is a little dish I have been making lately when out bush.

I bag of frozen green prawns (500gm) is enough for 2-3 people
    I jar of minced garlic
    1 tube of Chilli paste
    Dob of butter
    50ml of thickened cream
    Salt and pepper to taste

So basically all you need is a pan - place as much chilli and garlic and the butter as you like into a pan with some salt and pepper and cook that out a bit to take the rawness of the garlic out and to get the flavour release process happening (Don't burn it keep the heat down low), once you are happy with how it looks add in the frozen prawns which will defrost as they cook and also create the base for the sauce, then its just a matter of adding the cream which along with a bit more butter will help thicken it up, cook until its thickened up a bit, meanwhile have a pot of water on the boil and add as much rice as needed (I use basmartti) in this meal - once everything is cooked serve it up and get stuck in - its a real hit around the campfire I can tell ya and the longest part is waiting for the water to boil to cook the rice so make sure you put that on first!

She's a good feed I can tell ya and you will have people around the campfire wanting to race over with a fork! You could also substitute Yabbies for the prawns if you have access to some fresh ones (done that too and its a rippa dish as well.
    Whacking Varmints is my passion!

That sounds damn good.....
    Member of the Aunty Jack Firearm Appreciation Society - "Now be a good little Aussie and learn how to shoot or I'll rip your bloody arms off......and I will too!"

"Have you tried unloading it then reloading it?" - Roy Trenneman on fixing firearm problems

Comment

Sounds great!
      We did similar to this when camping on Lake Tinnaroo QLD, only I didn't think of the cream.
      I would also coarse chop onions (my kids hate me when I course chop onions) in with the garlic and add some ginger.
      I was selecting the 20 biggest Redclaw every morning out of my 4 traps, bloody good tukker!
      You gotta love these simple yet tasty dishes, great for camping.

Comment

She's a cracker little dish to be had around a roaring fire! I just like the fact it takes about 10mins to cook (rice taking the longest of course) and she's done and your tucking into some rippa tasting tucker. I also like the fact everything that's needed is in a tube or jar etc so no cutting up of anything, just put the quantities you like in and start cooking! too bloody easy and believe me that comes in handy when ya had a boot full! :lol:

I get sick of the ol lamb chops and sausage and bacon routine so have started experimenting with this type of thing.

I actually cook it at home too - the wife and kids love it and a couple of those 500gm packs of green prawns is plenty.

Give it a go fellas and do any mods you deem necessary to make it how you like it.

Cheers
        Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Sounds good. I am definitely giving it a go.

Comment

I am not waiting to be around a camp fire to try this...sounds great.

Comment

Sounds like a delicious recipe actually. Here in Oklahoma we don't really have access to prawns, but will try it with mud bugs (cray fish or crawdads).

Comment

Literally about to try this but adding chorizo sausage into the recipe. YUM

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds good mate, very similar to my Garlic Prawn recipe.

Heaps of fresh Garlic, finely chopped
                  splash of a sweet white wine like a Muscato
                  Dash of Lemon Juice (to sharpen it up a bit)
                  Thickened cream.
                  knob of butter
                  Green Prawns

Same method.
                  Gently Sauté the garlic.
                  Deglaze the pan with a little wine
                  cook the prawns, add the Lemon juice when prawns are 1/2 done & reduce the lemon a little.
                  Add the cream & gently simmer with the butter until glossy & will coat/stick to the back of a spoon.

Serve over Angle hair pasta or Rice Vermacelli

Mick.

Originally posted by Varminator" post=4690
                This is a little dish I have been making lately when out bush.

I bag of frozen green prawns (500gm) is enough for 2-3 people
                I jar of minced garlic
                1 tube of Chilli paste
                Dob of butter
                50ml of thickened cream
                Salt and pepper to taste

So basically all you need is a pan - place as much chilli and garlic and the butter as you like into a pan with some salt and pepper and cook that out a bit to take the rawness of the garlic out and to get the flavour release process happening (Don't burn it keep the heat down low), once you are happy with how it looks add in the frozen prawns which will defrost as they cook and also create the base for the sauce, then its just a matter of adding the cream which along with a bit more butter will help thicken it up, cook until its thickened up a bit, meanwhile have a pot of water on the boil and add as much rice as needed (I use basmartti) in this meal - once everything is cooked serve it up and get stuck in - its a real hit around the campfire I can tell ya and the longest part is waiting for the water to boil to cook the rice so make sure you put that on first!

She's a good feed I can tell ya and you will have people around the campfire wanting to race over with a fork! You could also substitute Yabbies for the prawns if you have access to some fresh ones (done that too and its a rippa dish as well.
                Sounds delicious mate

Comment

Guest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just gave this a go last night served with a thick scotch fillet!!!!
                  great stuff mate really good!!

not so good for the other end however......... got sent to the couch

Yummy we like em hot but also hard to beat some sweet lamb chops after a few beers camping also

Comment

I know your in the bush N all but throw in a bit of Pernod next time for a change!
                  You'll love it!

Comment

• Varminator
                    Varminator commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by Aushunter" post=22488
                    I know your in the bush N all but throw in a bit of Pernod next time for a change!
                    You'll love it!
                    Thanks for that little tip Aus - might just give that a crack!
                Working...
                X