How many other ways do you use your charcoal Weber Kettle ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many other ways do you use your charcoal Weber Kettle ?

Since acquiring my Mother's old Weber, my first meals were to try to cook a basic Pork roast, a good Chicken and even a Lamb roast.

Having had zero experience, it really was a struggle, and I was begging for help and hints everywhere.

Over the last few years I have had my healthy share of disasters, but also cooked some awesome meals that the family literally stands in line for
    to get their plates filled.
    Sometimes I will miss out, and have come inside to a Chicken frame and no veges in the roasting tray, and then once the hard crunchy stumpy bit of
    a leg of Lamb.

Pizza I fight for, that is becoming a fine art, and the kids love to make one for me (I"m learning).

We have baked cakes, and bread, desserts, made jerky, AND just recently started making 'smoked fish'.
    Smoking fish is a whole new thing, we have tried a few species, all good but a few just outstanding.

I used Hickory Wood Chips

Tommy Ruff (Herring) - Good, make sure to fillet them so there are no bones - just suck them in and chew them down.

Mullet - Good, not as dry as the Tommies, a little more delicate flavour - fillets again.

Flat head - great, chunky not too dry, Flat head flavour comes thru, not as salty as the others.

Chow Mackerel - great, really reminded me of good times with my mother. Oily flesh.

Nannygai - Really good, chunky, flavour-some not fatty or oily.

Leather Jacket - Sweet chunky meat, a bit dry, larger whole fish.
    So then I discovered that there were different wood types that could be better for my purpose
    found a bag of Apple Wood pieces.

While shopping I looked into the fish cabinet and saw chunks of Atlantic Salmon, and considered that they have a fat layer under the skin, a chunky flesh,
    a tougher thick skin and thought it should come up nice when smoked.

So this morning I made up a brine of -
    2L of water
    1/2 cup of salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar

Dropped the fish in after washing it under the tap, three nice pieces of fillet.
    Left it at room temp to soak up the 'atmosphere' and went to prep the Weber.
    Soaked chunks of Apple in a bucket for 20min, should have been overnight, put charcoal into the chimney and fire starters under that.

3 hours later got the charcoal going, put on the Wood chunks, dropped the fish skin side down on the grill and closed the lids with the vent
    on the opposite side from the heat and wood chunks.

Set timer for 20 min.... checked it, 20 min more.... checked it, another 20 min, done just right !
    Took it inside and tasted the new creation.

OMG, it was fantastic, definitely the best yet, I texted the wife and told her, I was scraping the fat from inside the skin and slurping it down.

So from now on we will likely have our salmon smoked rather than fried in a pan, the pan version can get way too dry and chewy,
    with a nice salad this smoked salmon would happily fill a plate in a restaurant.

The next lot will have samples of different seasonings lightly sprinkled on them, maybe some mustard smeared on them to...

This is such a great adventure.

How versatile is a Weber Kettle ?

This weekend Miss 10 will be making meaty Pork Ribs, spicy rub and a hint of smoke to finish the cook, a rice dish and a salad.
    Baked apple with cinnamon sugar and ice cream for dessert.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210504_123858.jpg Views:	1 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	321148

58 C needed, 99 C temp inside - it should cook fine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210504_124355.jpg Views:	1 Size:	74.7 KB ID:	321150

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210504_123836.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.0 KB ID:	321149
    Last edited by 17Hornet; 04-05-2021, 08:01 PM.
    The TRUTH is out there,
    the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
    We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

And the Easter Bunny tastes SO GOOD !!
    That's why he is made of Chocolate.

17 Hornet the fish looks great!!!

We do similar but with bluefin tuna. Vac seal in meal-sized pouches and in the fridge it will last many many months. I take it as a bit of protein when out hunting or fishing. That and some crackers and cheese.

Most recently I brined a venison ham for 36 hours injected the ham with brine and slowly smoked with Hickory for 6 hours in the Webber kettle. It was amazing, leftover went into the kid's lunches and sandwiches for a few days. Kids always ask me when I am going to make more of that 'different' ham.

Comment

Interesting stuff, what you can do in them.

I was young and dumb and had no internet to learn what I was doing wrong but I recently put mine back out on the street where it came from.

When things turned out well, they were spectacular but the ratio of fails was too high.
      OK to waste a chook and order pizza, but not good if it's a leg of lamb roast.

I suspect it just needed double the amount of heat beads and the proper pre-heating that I was slowly working out.

I will never forget how tender the legs were when it did turn out but disappointing with the fails that just made a good outdoor beer session.

Comment

I have moved away from heat beads as I can never gauge them properly for a cook, using charcoal now, and even then different charcoal burns differently with heat and time.
        However I can gauge that better and it gives a higher heat.

I need to work with just 1 brand of heat beads to get skilled, but they are expensive compared to charcoal.

Got some more salmon to cook/smoke, the image above is raw salmon about to be smoked, forgot to take the 'after' pictures.

Expect some fresh pictures soon tomorrow, the wife and kids loved the last lot so it is all gone.
        The TRUTH is out there,
        the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
        We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

And the Easter Bunny tastes SO GOOD !!
        That's why he is made of Chocolate.

Comment

Working...
        X