First Time Sausage Making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Sausage Making

First batch of sausages. The big mincer makes light work of it. Would work as a sausage stuffer for plain saugers with cubed meat. As a stuffer using seasoned mince it's useless. Just couldn't push the mixture as it's too fine for it. The stuffer makes life easy. 8. 5 kg of mince, 1kg of mix & 1.8l of water.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201101_221011 (2).jpg Views:	2 Size:	78.4 KB ID:	317863 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201103_213549.jpg Views:	2 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	317864 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201103_213540.jpg Views:	2 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	317865
    Last edited by Anderson; 04-11-2020, 03:58 PM.
    How to make a small fortune out of farming?
    Start with a large one!

If there half as good as my cousins, you've done well. Her mobile butcher is a master when it come to Banggers !!!!
    Tikka T3X 6XC
    Tikka T3X CTR 260 Rem
    Remington 788 - 6mm Rem
    Remington 788 - 222rem
    Browning Trombone .22

Comment

WELL DONE

You look like an expert now with all that gear Ando, I failed to put up some pic's and a write up of our family 'pig' chop up earlier this year.

I must do it soon.
      The TRUTH is out there,
      the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
      We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

And the Easter Bunny tastes SO GOOD !!
      That's why he is made of Chocolate.

Comment

Should put it to work on some veno for variety as they turn out pretty good, just gotta mix in the pork fat but you could use beef fat or mixed meats.
        I want to just do veno burger patties as snags seem like a bit of work for the newbies, tried some mixed wild pork and veno paties and it was quite good.
        Not sure weather to borrow the good gear or reserect the little hand job I used for frozen burley blocks for fishing, found it under the laundry tub.

Comment

Originally posted by 17Hornet View Post
          WELL DONE

You look like an expert now with all that gear Ando, I failed to put up some pic's and a write up of our family 'pig' chop up earlier this year.

I must do it soon.
          Well looks can be deceiving. LOL. There is around $1100 there, but given that we have our own beef & lamb, we should get a pay back. Son likes doing the butchering, our big problem is no cool room. So beef production will have to wait to next year now. We have a small home made chiller that fits 2 lambs. Look forward to the "pig" chop up pic's. Our next job is 6 drakes.
          Start with a large one!

Comment

Good work mate!
            looks awesome.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Forward!
            Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

" Mr Anderson "
              if you look down the Topic List you will see a few things i have written about, with pics, if you willing to explore, of course there are many others too,
              we have some great budding Chef's here, and some awesome home cooks too.

https://www.shootingaustralia.net/forum/hunting-fishing/game-catch/cooking-and-recipes

Commonly I have been doing this with the family experts, my Italian Parents in-law for years, the process started by going to the farm and choosing a pig,
              then killing it, cleaning it, and bringing it all home to process - "everything but the squeal".
              The farmer is not doing it anymore, so unfortunately the Pork is purchased from a butcher now.
              I really miss the farm visit and the work.

But recently have decided to do some things all on my lonesome, trial and test, taste etc

As for my latest meat antics -

Dehydrating to make jerky of different meats and beef mince, so far Beef and Kangaroo jerky

Pork loin preserved by drying in a gut sausage casing after salting, then wine, herbs and spices

A coarse Pork Salami test in gut casing

A hunters Salami inside a dry polenta coating / crust

The Pork loin was not a complete fail, but was very salty, and very dried out - all my fault because of lack of attention to detail
              Result - dog loved the new treats.

Oh well, it only cost 62c

Click image for larger version  Name:	loin.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	318054

Click image for larger version  Name:	loin price.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	318055

Pork Salami was a reasonable success, considering I am making these out of season, but they are kept in a cellar. I tasted one first
              then left the second for another two weeks to cure more, the pepper could have been more, and the chilli too.
              Overall both were reasonable efforts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Salami.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.8 KB ID:	318056

The Salami Pitina (polenta coated), this was cured in the fridge, but when cut it was still pretty fresh inside after 6 weeks, I suspect that
              because I did not mix the Pork with a more lean Beef mince, the Pork fats were to much and so the meat did not cure as it should have.
              But was not a bad effort for a never before known product.

Pork mince like Salami, made into a softball size lump, squish firmly into a dome on a plate of polenta, then flip and roll all of it in polenta,
              place on a plate in the fridge and turn over every day. It should be 50% pork and 50% other lean meat with about 8% fat, salt, spices, wine, garlic, etc

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pitina.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	318057

Beef and Roo jerky.
              Well there was some good success with Beef mince and different marinades, also with Beef strips using the same marinades.
              But the Kanga is very different to the Beef, it is a dryer leaner meat, very gamely in taste that over powers my marinades.

I roll out the marinated mince into 5mm thick sheets and start to dry those until they can be turned over off of the bake sheet, then I cut them into
              strips about 25mm wide and finish drying them.
              Beef seems to be best 4-5mm thick, across the grain and about 25mm wide, can't let them get too dry or too hard to chew.
              Stronger spices better for me, sweeter better for the kids.

Sorry, no pic's

The TRUTH is out there,

Comment

17 Hornet. Your really into this I can see. I was pleased that our first go was editable & we didn't end up in the ED. LOL We have a long way to go.
                Start with a large one!

Comment

Ando, I enjoy the communal spirit of doing the task, the chat, all working together, young watching and helping, fresh BBQ pork.

It's almost like the small goods are a weak second prize to me.
                  Gaining practise and knowledge is a long path, 16 years and I still have only just ventured into making my own at home,
                  as an experiment to surprise the In-laws.

Same for the wine and tomato sauces, its all about 'tradition'

I think you did a great job for your first time, magnificent work.

NOW you have to post more of those adventures...
                  The TRUTH is out there,

Comment

I will post when we do some more. The current adventures are all about silage
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mower going to Liena 1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	318166 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201119_163053.jpg
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	318167 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201119_163024 (2).jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	318168
                    Start with a large one!

Comment

OOoo.. next time you see one of those skinny things in the grass, can you catch it for me ?

Herne has an affinity for them, I believe....

Lots of micro 'Capicola' in them.

I will be looking forward to your next 'meat worxs' session.
                      The TRUTH is out there,

Comment

Working...
                      X