Best damper ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best damper ever

Brag time! Share your best ever damper. And the recipe if you have one.
    250g SR flour
    a pinch or 2 of salt
    25g of butter
    100ml of lemonade, 50ml milk, 25ml water thereabouts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02242.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	37046
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

That's a bloody nice lookin damper cap'n.
    Not suitable for mature audiences

Comment

• Throwingbrick
      Throwingbrick commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by several" post=22577
      That's a bloody nice lookin damper cap'n.
      Add some golden syrup and mhmm.... so nice not to say its not good as it is

Bloody rippa Captain, now all we need is a recipe! got to be one of the best looking damper's I've ever seen.
    Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

last time I made it I threw away the damper and ate the charcoal.

Comment

my recipe is pretty good i reckon, i use tipo 00 flour as its not too strong(protein/gluten content)
        or you can use a high protein bread flour if you prefer a firmer texture.

this will only make a very small damper, adjust quantities as needed
        1 &1/2 cups of flour
        2/3 cups of warm water
        1 tsp dried yeast
        1 tsp salt
        and i add sugar or golden syrup if its destined to bea eaten as a sweet damper.

i mix it all together and knead well, then let prove for half an hour and then cook in camp oven

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by bottleinspector" post=22611
          my recipe is pretty good i reckon, i use tipo 00 flour as its not too strong(protein/gluten content)
          or you can use a high protein bread flour if you prefer a firmer texture.

this will only make a very small damper, adjust quantities as needed
          1 &1/2 cups of flour
          2/3 cups of warm water
          1 tsp dried yeast
          1 tsp salt
          and i add sugar or golden syrup if its destined to bea eaten as a sweet damper.

i mix it all together and knead well, then let prove for half an hour and then cook in camp oven
          Sorry but that is not a Damper recipe.
          That is a Bread recipe.

Damper is basically a big Scone.
          SR Flour
          Water
          Baking Soda
          Salt
          Milk powder
          Brown Sugar (or Golden syrup)

That is a nice looking Damper Dazza .

Personally I made it a mission over many yrs to perfect my hand Made Camp Oven Bread. (yeast Bread) & Damper is a very good way of starting out, same as I did with my son.
          One tip I'm not sure if your aware of is that you should not stir a damper mix too much. It is one of the major differences between Bread & Damper.
          If you stir it too much it will nock out much of the air you want to keep it light. Best to just gently fold it together & call it quits ASAP.
          Bread being the opposite because the Yeast re-acting with the Sugar creates the Co2 bubbles.

Cheers, Mick.

point taken billy, its all ive ever used though. and hits the spot on a cold night round the camp fire

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know if this is cool to say or not but I reckon the only time damper tastes acceptable is when you're camping! I can't eat it at under any other circumstances

having said that - thats a good looking damper

My damper goes as follows.
        Half self raising, half plain flower, in a bowl, get a good lump of butter and rub it through the flour mix to create what almost looks like breadcrumbs, pinch of salt, a good splash of beer (preferably a lager) then mix it all up, add a bit of water, form the dough and cook in the camp oven. To see if its done flick it, if it sounds hollow it's done. Best served with jam and butter.
        Don't forget the beer.

Comment

• Snag
          Snag commented
          Editing a comment
          Dazza,
          That's a gold medal damper if ever I saw one.

I would have loved a bite or two. That and porchetta. Yum!

Great work and thanks for sharing it.

• Two dogs
          Two dogs commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by war_machine " post=24980
          My damper goes as follows.
          Half self raising, half plain flower, in a bowl, get a good lump of butter and rub it through the flour mix to create what almost looks like breadcrumbs, pinch of salt, a good splash of beer (preferably a lager) then mix it all up, add a bit of water, form the dough and cook in the camp oven. To see if its done flick it, if it sounds hollow it's done. Best served with jam and butter.
          Don't forget the beer.

You pinched my recipe. :lol:

Mark.
      Working...
      X