The $60 charcoal mini spit review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The $60 charcoal mini spit review

On sale last week for $60 was a 240v little charcoal rotisserie at masters (now $80)

they are a nice size and not to cheaply made although some thicker steel would be nice

pretty simply to put together and get grilling the motor claims 15kg of rotating meaty goodness although id probably limit myself to 8kg or so which is still for a small gathering a few decent hunks of meat. the attraction of a 240v version was mainly for home where I can run a lead to it and not worry about batteries and remembering to change them etc etc

Here it is

chicken starting

The chicken was stuffed with breadcrumbs, lemon, herbs and smashed garlic

the outside was rubbed with olive oil and a mixture of freshly ground black pepper, smoked papprika to give it color and a bit of spice and a healthy dose of Murray river pink salt and a smattering of chicken salt.

the other beauty with this, is that its small enough to take camping and a damn bit cheaper than an aus spit. the motor draws 4w's according to its data plate im a bit dubious but it will run of an inverter or if you have a 200 series cruiser or 150 prado off the power point in the back nya:

Im headed away next weekend and the spit is coming too and cooking for 6 so I will post a follow up on how she performs

cool. how long was the cooking time?

Comment

• fishphillott
      fishphillott commented
      Editing a comment
      http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/cooking-recipes

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      that one was 2.5 hours long and slow. but meat height and fuel type can vary it by a considerable amount of time. Cooked over hardwood lump charcoal as i try and stay away from anything "manufactured" to heavily its a really nice way to get back the same style of cooking we have done for hundreds of years!

Looks pretty good mate, once the base section craps out you could always mod the setup to take half a SS Keg! then you'll have no troubles ever again. Or you could just split the keg in 2 Length ways and put a hinge on it, that way you've got yaself an oven too. I've seen plenty of BBQ's made out of Kegs and they work well.

Thanks for posting mate, looks good.
    Whacking Varmints is my passion!

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      My Mrs bought me one very similar to it a few years ago at a market somewhere in Melbourne's outer Eastern Suburbs.
      I agree the base and sides look a little light, but mine has held up well over the years.
      That 1/2 keg idea is a beaut. I might need to give it a go in a few more years.

I take one of these out camping with us. Bloody little rippers they are.

Chicken Souvlaki (or Gyros/Yiros) Marinade for the Spit.

4KG Skinless Chicken Maryland or Thigh Fillets. (Camping party of 9-10)
    2 Heads of garlic, peeled and chopped/crushed (or use 4 tbs of the stuff from a jar)
    2 brown onions, grated or really finely diced
    2 jars of Balsamic Salad Dressing (300-500ml each whatever)
    3 TBS of Smoked Paprika (If you have Sweet Paprika, make it 5 TBS)
    3 TBS of Oregano (Greek Oregano or 'sweet majoram' is the best)
    2 Lemons, the juice of. (or limes, or a cup of orange juice if you dont have either)
    1 Punnet of cherry tomatos, halved. (or dice two large ripe tomatoes or crack a can of Peeled/Chopped Tomato....doesnt matter)

To Serve:
    Flat Bread or Damper, Sandwich Loaf, Bread rolls or whatever. Woks with rice too.
    Shredded Lettuce
    Sliced Tomato
    Sliced Onion
    Natural Yoghurt (add a bit of Garlic, Salt, and Sugar to it if you like)
    Fresh Chilli (or a squirt of Hot Chilli Sauce, whatever)

Pretty much just chuck all the thigh fillets whole, into a big tub, and add all the marinade ingredients. Mix it all really well with your hand, then put the lid on and keep it cold until you are ready to thread it onto the rotisserie skewer. Overnight is great in winters when its -2 to +5 degrees overnight,, but in Summer it might be a bit of an ask what with all the Eskies being full of piss. Drink until you have enough room.

Once you are ready to get the coals on, get the chicken pieces threaded in a nice even and roundish type kebab arrangement. Reserve the left over marinade, and add the cherry tomatoes and some fresh chilli. Bring to the boil, and simmer very gently for 30mins to make a killer sauce.

Youll do two, possibly three cuts on the skewer as the cooking works its way in to the centre of the skewer after about an hour and a half. In a rushed scenario, check to make sure that any uncooked shavings (and any fully cooked shavings on the same plate) get finished off on a hotplate or in a pan over direct heat. No one likes the runs at Camp.

This marinade has a very hard time burning, so dont be afraid to let it get really crispy on the outside before slicing it for serving, as the inside is mega juicy.

Serve it up as you please, on a plate, in the flat bread, whatever but with lots of lettuce tomato onion and some yoghurt. But be sure to use some of the reserved marinade sauce and the yoghurt together.

This meal is known for returning the evening bush to its almost silent self, with just the crackle of the fire and the occasional 'Oh **** yeah' to be heard.
    Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

• dazm
      dazm commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by DeadMeat" post=31882
      I take one of these out camping with us. Bloody little rippers they are.

Chicken Souvlaki (or Gyros/Yiros) Marinade for the Spit.

4KG Skinless Chicken Maryland or Thigh Fillets. (Camping party of 9-10)
      2 Heads of garlic, peeled and chopped/crushed (or use 4 tbs of the stuff from a jar)
      2 brown onions, grated or really finely diced
      2 jars of Balsamic Salad Dressing (300-500ml each whatever)
      3 TBS of Smoked Paprika (If you have Sweet Paprika, make it 5 TBS)
      3 TBS of Oregano (Greek Oregano or 'sweet majoram' is the best)
      2 Lemons, the juice of. (or limes, or a cup of orange juice if you dont have either)
      1 Punnet of cherry tomatos, halved. (or dice two large ripe tomatoes or crack a can of Peeled/Chopped Tomato.
      OMG this sounds delicious.

When you say "balsamic salad dressing" do you mean balsamic vinegar or is there a particular brand/type salad dressing to use?

Cheers

Nah mate, I particularly mean premade bottled salad dressing, like Kraft, Praise etc...

Balsamic works well, but you can use Italian or Greek salad dressing. Basically its just the Vinegar and Oil component of the marinade with seasoning in a convenient package.

I should have specified : DO NOT USE FAT FREE or LITE DRESSING! thanks for remindning me

Otherwise the meat will be as dry as a dead dingo's donga.

Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

Comment

• TheOtherLeft
      TheOtherLeft commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, that looks really good value.
Working...
X