Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Barnes Metal Lathe

hello everyone
    just a pic of my Antique Barnes metal lathe.
    It is circa 1910 and I think it's a Barnes 11 inch No. 5

It was owned by the manager of the machine Shop of the Mount Morgan Gold Mine which closed down in th mid 1980's.....it was originally used in the shop until they modernised

It has been converted to powered by a washing machine motor, the treadle is missing.
    it has all the accessories including the gears for the back gear, these are of it at the moment , back gear was used for screw cutting and you changed the gears according to a brass plaque guide that is on one of the legs to create the thread you wanted

It is a beautiful machine and when front gear is engaged it runs at a very high RPM ..unsure how fast.

I bought it to muck around on, .haven't touched a lathe since grade 10 and really wish now I had listened more to the manual arts teachers.
    Any advice would be appreciated
    thanks

Love it! That is a cool peice of old school kit!
    Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

• Greenwich-biker
      Greenwich-biker commented
      Editing a comment
      That is awesome.

Hang on to it and try and keep the rust away

That's very cool, I love the effort they put into giving machines some style back in the old days, those legs are great. The quick change toolpost might have been a bit of a modern upgrade at some stage though :lol:
    Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does.

Comment

• jasmay
      jasmay commented
      Editing a comment
      As a fitter and turner by trade, the 1st bit and best bit of advice I can give you is Be Very Bloody Careful, they can be dangerous bits of equipment to the untrained person, and more than couple of people have been injured or killed by them.

Safety First....

You can do short courses at tafe to learn the basics, there is plenty of online resources, practical machinist is a good website.

And there are some great books, around.

This use to be the bible, its a bit outdated, but still a lot of great knowldge in it. www.machineryhouse.com.au/L341

the phrase "no loose clothing" comes to mind.

Comment

• scythe
      scythe commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah my first move would he to get a cover made up to cover that exposed rotating spindle.
      Will also help to keep the dust and rust away.
      Hinge it so that its not inconvenient to adjust the stuff it covers, that way you will actually use it.

Machinery of any sort makes the best toys, and I really love this one. That's a great find mate. Very, very envious. Thanks for sharing.
    If I knew I was gonna live this long I would've taken better care of myself

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep it going!

I'm in a similar camp. Mine is a Mars Junior (6" , built in Brisbane back when we actually made things) that went into the local garage in 1935.

I've had to do some rebuilding. The tool post section had been torn off the slide and the tailstock adjustment (left hand thread) comes from a turnbuckle. I had to recreate the back gearing - cut the teeth with patience and a thin cut-off wheel. As it is used for some fairly hefty parts from heavy machinery VERY SLOW seemed the way to go. Including rebuilding the tapered spline on a grader steering shaft and machining down a dozer blade cylinder pivot .that had 20mm taken off it to fit some odd sized bush.

The threading gear still needs attention, though most of the gears on the thread plate are there.

In summary "a lathe is a hell of a long way ahead of no lathe" in my experience.

Came in late on this, "It is a beautiful machine and when front gear is engaged it runs at a very high RPM ..unsure how fast."

Much faster than the bearings were designed for (at an educated guess), so keep a close eye on the temperature
    One of my first lathes was one of these with the treadle gear working, was quite pleasant to use and I never motorized it; intended to , but a bloke that I knew offered me a double rifle in .44-40 and temptation got the better of me.

Comment

See if you can find the seat and treadle would be the way to go rebuild it to original yer the tool post is new addition too Not sure but i think the tool would have been high carbon not tool steel to run high speed steel the motor was fitted . would like to have a go on a treadle lathe Largest lathe I worked on was 110 feet long and seven or 8 foot swing over the bed used to sit on the tool post .

First thing with any lathe it will do things to your body.

IE: rip parts off it . NO gloves EVER idiots wear gloves on a lathe no loose clothing or long hair.
      I have seen a guy rip an arm off from gloves . See a guy get scalped
      and dug a guy off a lathe 20 feet long with the ambulance guys only to be told you can go home now the police are on the way .
      Believe me they are fun and useful I have made a living off them from nearly 50 years .
      just THINK WHAT IF all the time
      Any question just ask i will try to point you in the right way

Comment

Working...
      X