Homemade Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Stock

During my time on the last forum I managed to get round to building replacement stocks for two of my rifles - The first one was for my Savage Mk2 GL shown below with it`s original standard stock (which I also raised the cheek-piece on and painted black).

and the second was for my Benjamin Marauder which I documented on this thread http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/air-rifles/224-benjamin-marauder-workshop

On both occasions I was pretty happy with the way they turned out and so this time I thought I`d have a go at making a new stock for my Webley Raider - The main reason for this project is because I shoot left-handed and find the right-handed bolt on the Webley rather inconvenient - Therefore I`m now converting the rifle over to Left-handed operation (A World-First to my knowledge ) http://shootingaustralia.net/forum/air-rifles/222-webley-raider-10-workshop and making a `Skele-Stock` to lighten things up a bit.

Note: Please bear in mind I`m by no means a carpenter and will be using mainly DIY tools for this job - Also this thread is a `Work in Progress` so it`ll be added to as and when the job progresses over the next few days.

Hopefully some of you may be interested in this project as it progresses and who knows maybe it will inspire a few of you to have a crack at making a custom stock of your very own

Anyway as Conan once said "Enough Talk" - Let the bodging commence

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage 1 - Find a bit of wood, draw out the shape you want and cut it out with a jigsaw - For this stock I have chosen to trace around the original rifle stock fore end (in front of the grip) and make a Skele-Butt with an extra high cheek piece.

Stage 2 - Take the rough edges off with a mini-sander to boost the moral before the real hard work begins.

"For it is the doom of men that they forget"

Looking good already Druid

Comment

Thanks Overkill

Stage 3 - Plane off the top of the in-letting flat (Burn-marks are optional :P ) Then mark out the in-letting by direct transfer using any penetrations as datum points.

4, Rough-route-out the air cylinder inlet

5, Sand down somewhere near with mini-sander

6, Set in the trigger guard (Route and Dremel)

7, Bit more sanding & routing and "Now we`re farming"

8, These are some hand-sanding tools I made up to make things a fair bit easier - Nothing special but they do the job - One is made of 3/4" copper pipe and is packed out to the cylinder diameter with gaffer tape - The other is a bit of 1/2" copper pipe covered in pipe lagging which is really good for getting into all the nooks a crannies.

9, Time to fill any small imperfections and I just use a cheap water based filler for this job.

10, Finally getting round to the easy job of fine-sanding, wire-wooling, staining and polishing.

Comment

And finally - move in the furniture

Comment

good job!!
          gonna have a go at checkering?

Comment

I`d like to but I think it`s a bit too hard-core for me

Comment

Great job Druid. It looks like a very comfortable stock.

Comment

• Spaana
                Spaana commented
                Editing a comment
                Well done, AGAIN Druid. Once again a beaut looking piece of work.
                I really love the simple uncomplicated, smooth lines of your custom stocks.
                I've had a nice piece of American Oak sitting in the shed for too long, set aside for my Blizzard.
                I'm thinking of a nice thumbhole, particularly like the HW100T stock.
                I'm a carpenter and I still have reservations about giving a go, though your 'tutorials' are convincing me to get on it.
                Good work, and thanks again for sharing.
                Troy

Great work Druid, thanks for the pics and the build along. Even if I never attempt anything like this myself, I really enjoy seeing what other blokes are doing, so thanks a heap.

Steve
              If I knew I was gonna live this long I would've taken better care of myself

Comment

Working...
              X