Mcmillian Stock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mcmillian Stock Thread

Im looking into the M40a1 and the A2 for a build im planning on doing.
    Does anyone have either model? and can show pics of the fore end of either ?

Also anyone with a different model, feel free to post up a picture, and tell us what model and what colour swirls or camo
    Hopefully there is enough interest in this thread that we can use it as a bit of a reference to see how models/colours look before buying.

look in the remington 700 thread, I have a couple some pics in the thread, what would you like to know?

Comment

McMillan A4. 50% black/50% dark grey.
      Attached Files

Comment

F Class
        70% Black and 30% Red
        70% Red and 30% Black

A2
        Desert Camo

A4
        Black, Grey & White (not sure what percentages it was)

A5
        Red, White & Blue (not sure what percentages)

McHale
        Light Green, Dark Geen & Black (not sure what percentages)

Comment

Here's a pic of my parker hale M85 with a factory mcmillan stock.

Comment

Mauser98, what do those things shoot like?

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Send-it" post=10966
              Mauser98, what do those things shoot like?
              Not as good as I'd have liked, so far, I've only been able to get a 2MOA 10 shot group using ADI 144gn projectiles. I'm not sure whether it's me, since i'm not used to shooting with bipods, or scopes for target use (fullbore shooter, so peep sights are what I've mainly used).

With that said, I've only tried two handloads, so I'll need to do a bit more experimenting, and probably take it to a bench. One problem with it is that it uses M14 magazines, and they're made for 2.8" OAL, so can't seat bullets long at all unless they're single fed.

Thanks for the replies and pics guys, the colours in these stocks look fantastic!

Brent, how do you find the fore end of your M40a1 stock, is it a wide grip?
            How do you find the stock?

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Papa Scarface" post=10980
              Thanks for the replies and pics guys, the colours in these stocks look fantastic!

Brent, how do you find the fore end of your M40a1 stock, is it a wide grip?
              How do you find the stock?
              No the a1 stock is narrow compared to most McMillan stocks, it's more like a normal hunting stock hence the HTG, that said it is a good compromise for me anyway as I'm a large bloke and don't need a cheek piece to get correct eye/scope alignment and is easy to use in most positions whilst being a master at none. The one I have has witicha swivels so I cant use a bipod but with normal uncle mike swivels and a harris it would fulfil most needs, The A4 is a much better and a rock solid platform but is less user friendly is some positions, I guess it really comes down to what you like and what sort of shooting you will be doing with it.

Mauser 98 buy a box of federal 175gr gold medal match ammo and try that in your m85 if you can't get the federal, load SMK 175hpbt with 44gr of AR2208 is going to get you pretty close to the Federal. Nothing wrong with a OAL @ 2.8 it's what all factory match like Federal, Blackhills etc ammo is loaded at, I know both those loads will be good for 1/2 minute or better out of most precision rifles with a 1/12 or faster barrel.

ok, thanks M98.
            I was just curious about that as they were the old aussie version of sniper rifles.

Comment

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Send-it" post=11394
              ok, thanks M98.
              I was just curious about that as they were the old aussie version of sniper rifles.
              The M82 was used by Australia, not the M85. The M82 is quite different in that the action is a standard commercial M98. They just added a magazine to their 1200TX rifle, and that's what the M82 was.

I should be able to get it to shoot better, my handloads were just emulating standard infantry rounds (ie 2800fps with 144gn FMJ projectiles that aren't particularly accurate) so if i try better projectiles like 155's it should easily get 1MOA or better.

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by Send-it" post=11394
              ok, thanks M98.
              your thinking of the M82 with a wooden stock, if the M85 is anything like those I wouldn't be expecting any accuracy miracles

oh, ok.
            thanks for that. wasn't totally sure about the aussie snipers.
            wouldn't mind one though,.......just for the nostalgia etc.

Comment

Working...
            X