Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steyr ssg 69, with AI mag and caliber conversion

Hello!
    I started this project quite some time ago and posted some pictures on a previous forum.......
    I got given a Steyr SSG69 in 308 with a worn out barrel and the standard issue busted plastic mag well! It was given to me because I was told that the mag well couldn't be replaced and the receiver couldn't be threaded. Well, I have removed the barrel and threaded the receiver...m25x1.5. The original barrel was a shrink fit in to the receiver.....no thread, no pins to retain the barrel. At this stage I will be changing the calibre from 308 to 6.5 Creedmoor.
    I have also managed to pick up a single set trigger and a new mag well that is made from steel and not the usual plastic that the original is made from. The mag well takes AI magazines which is all the more convenient! The mag well comes as a kit with new socket head bedding screws, shims and different length mag releases.
    Will keep you all posted as it progresses!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ssg69008.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	55144
    Threaded receiver....

Name:	ssg69009.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	55145

Name:	20131217_133150.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	55146
    The mag well with mag fitted.....
    Pilch303
    Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Awesome project, well done so far.

What stock are you gonna use?

Comment

Only got 3x options that I know off.......Buy an original, buy a Mcmillan or get a wooden one made. At this stage it looks like I will go for the Mcmillan. My mate has got a ssg action as well and he is going to go for the sporting look and get a stock made.
      Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

Comment

• S12A
        S12A commented
        Editing a comment
        Was hoping you would say mcmillan... awesome stuff keep us updated!

• Greenwich-biker
        Greenwich-biker commented
        Editing a comment
        Steyr-Daimler-Puch

Guns, bikes AND cars :P

• adamjp
        adamjp commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure how close the SSG69 is to the M, but this may work?

http://www.wildcatcomposites.com/steyr.html

I have some of his stocks and they are exceptionally good value for money.

Looks really good, and a fascinating project.
      How hard was the receiver to thread for a barrel? And what sort of barrels are you now capable of using?
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Forward!
      Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Comment

• Pilch303
        Pilch303 commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by 22F" post=43710
        Looks really good, and a fascinating project.
        How hard was the receiver to thread for a barrel? And what sort of barrels are you now capable of using?
        The receiver wasn't to bad to machine. I used iscar boring and threading tools and didn't have any dramas doing it. It seemed to machine like one of the higher grade chrome moly steels. At this stage I will either fit a Maddco or a Pac Nor depending on availability.
        Pilch

This is really impressive.It will be a little on the heavy side (for my liking) but fully sick otherwise!
      If you're going through hell, keep going."
      Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
      X