303 no4 parts wanted (jungle carbine)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 303 no4 parts wanted (jungle carbine)

Ive got a cheap no4 303 project coming and i need a few parts (going to try a jungle carbine conversion)

ill be needing the 800yrd rear ladder - flip - battle sight

a flash hider (repro, whatever) - even a copy of the blueprints for it

butt?

magazine - this ones coming with a no1 mkIII mag and if i have to get it converted to suit the no4 i will but id prefer a no4 mag

That will do for now i guess - not going to get the action etc. milled (at this stage), just want a fun copy i can shoot.

have i missed anything so far?

thanks.

if you get stuck I have a 1600 y sight

Comment

Got a magazine if you need one.

Comment

• sabb0
        sabb0 commented
        Editing a comment
        hi Bricktop, thanks for the offer mate.

how much would you be looking at taking for the no.4 magazine?

Click image for larger version

Name:	004_2013-11-10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	41579

Name:	005.jpg
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	41580

Name:	006.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	41581

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Bricktop" post=28228

That's a No1Mk3 magazine, OA indicates it was made at Orange NSW and they didn't make No4 magazines
        Attached Files

Well after much mucking around by the seller, im going to be able to pick up the No. 4 in a few weeks.

now i have a question please,

Im looking at importing a carbine conversion kit from Numrich (in the USA) and im curious if anyone else here has done this and what was involved in importing such a kit?

Ta guys.

Comment

Well yesterday i finally picked up my donor 303.

I also have a genuine No5 butt plate and rubber coming plus an aftermarket flashguard (to suit my No4 barrel)

This rifle out of curiosity (from what ive been able to work out so far(hopefully correctly)) is a 1950 No4 mk 2 from Fazakerley.

This rifle is also one of a 2nd batch of 1,800 that was ordered after the first original order of 100,000 No4 mk2s.

Comment

• aussietomcatter
          aussietomcatter commented
          Editing a comment
          Mate the later No4 Mk2's are harder to find and commanding a higher price lately. If this is a matching gun I urge you to reconsider.

Aussietomcatter, mate i understand your urge. my reasoning is im a fan of lithgows and jungle carbines. i got this for a very cheap price- have you priced genuine no5s in the same condition?

i cant see any matching numbers (at this stage-im no expert) . so what is this worth in todays market then?

I tell you what, im willing to swap for a jc of equal quality, and thats my original point- it wont happen so i may as well use this one.

im open to discussion in the meantime though, thanks for the advice mate.

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by sabb0" post=75671
          Aussietomcatter, mate i understand your urge. my reasoning is im a fan of lithgows and jungle carbines. i got this for a very cheap price- have you priced genuine no5s in the same condition?

i cant see any matching numbers (at this stage-im no expert) . so what is this worth in todays market then?

I tell you what, im willing to swap for a jc of equal quality, and thats my original point- it wont happen so i may as well use this one.

im open to discussion in the meantime though, thanks for the advice mate.
          Check the left side of the action for a serial number, hold the rifle up to your shoulder and look down the sights, now without moving look on the bolt handle, there will be another serial number looking you in the eye, also pull the top wood of the stock to expose the barrel, think the Faz No4's had the serial number in the same place as the Faz No5's, the left side of the barrel on the KNOX (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) The timber could also be marked with serial numbers, generally on the bottom side. Also a chance the magazine is marked, if you were to find all those numbers match do not touch it, it will be worth a lot more then if you were to cut it up.

If u do decide to go ahead, keep all the original timber, change out the barrel and keep it stashed some where safe so you can put it all back together again, TSE can do you a chambered barrel in a No5Mk1.

Matching rifles are getting harder to find mate, look after it if it is

Hey mate,

Dont stuff a full wood No4 just to make a replica No5, I have two No5 's and am in the process of making a No5 replica in .35 Territorian. To make it I picked up a new unused No4Mk1 Longbranch action and ordered the No5 timber through numerich, they also supply the but pads and the flash hider, however they are now not shipping the flash hides out of the US as they are on the "Restricted" list..WTF All this I found out last Thursday night when I rang them to order.
        luckily I have been able to source one locally but they are hard to get, there are also two different sizes, the original ones that have an .690 ID and the No4 conversion ones that have a .570ID.
        Keep an eye on ebay, the singer sights are on there often, the correct one for the No5 is 800yd's. You will also come across other bits and pieces.

Keep an eye out on used guns/Oz gun sales or firearm Sales for a No4 that has already been sported, don't chop up your full wood...!!!!!!

Here is the unused No4Mk1 Longbranch I picked up last week...
        Attached Files

Comment

Mate, if its a matching No4 Mk2 I'd take it off your hands for more than you paid for it, depending on its condition (its already been played with, hence the target swivel). As has been pointed out, there are new actions or also worn out fullwoods that might be more applicable to the project, and to be honest the parts bill you're looking at you'd be better off just buying the real deal.

If its a project you want, that's fair enough mate, but try not to destroy a good one if its at all possible. That said, its your rifle, and your property, so you can do as you please!
          Lithgow addicted, with no sign of a cure.

Comment

• aussietomcatter
            Editing a comment
            http://usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=30564

Here's an already sported rifle with no history, that would have an action good to go. Just an opinion mate, not trying to be forceful .

Hi all, i appreciate your opinions and comments.

Ive taken the old girl apart and ive noticed that its not original at all, it looks like its been fully fullbored so im not too concerned by chopping it up to make it what i want.

I do respect original battle rifles but honestly so far i still think im on the right track.

For example the barrel isnt numbered and has no bayonet lugs - yet its fully grey in colour (parkerised?)

The magazine , rear and front sights and bolt arent originals.

the lower wood has 3 small holes drilled into it that go into the milled slots inside the guard (i assume the slots are factory?)

The muzzle is free floated - again i dont know if thats factory.

I appreciate the used guns link to that plastic sportster, but all up including the bits ive bought to convert it i still come up under the cost of that sportster (im not planning on milling the action or knox)

Im learning alot from you guys so its all appreciated trust me.

ill post some pics of what im talking about soon

Comment

heres some pics (dont want to flood this thread but if your like me you like this kind of stuff)
            Attached Files

Comment

• aussietomcatter
              Editing a comment
              In that case mate, I say fill ya boots and have fun with your project, I don't think you're doing too much harm.

Lawrence ordinance have No4/No5 magazines, most are nearly new. They used to have a few flash hiders as well but are sold out.

http://www.lawranceordnance.com/shot_and_shell/accessories_parts/magazine.php

Jolly

Comment

Working...
            X