Broken Scope Mount Screw Removal... DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Scope Mount Screw Removal... DIY

I recently Had my Model 70 apart for cleaning. I noticed the front mount was loose & found a broken screw.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001_2013-10-02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	23277

The method I used was drilling a small hole, part way into the screw. I used a cordless but a drill press would has been a bit easier!
    I then tapped a slightly larger (than the hole size I drilled) hex head tip into the hole.

Name:	002_2013-10-02.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	23278

Then slowly reverse the broken piece out!

Name:	004_2013-10-02.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	23279

Name:	005_2013-10-02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	23280

This is the final result... This may not work for everyone, but it worked for me .
    Hope this might help someone in the future.
    Mark
    Tikka T3X 6XC
    Tikka T3X CTR 260 Rem
    Remington 788 - 6mm Rem
    Remington 788 - 222rem
    Browning Trombone .22

If there's no load on the screw and no burred threads jamming up the screw, a matchstick and dab of super glue may be enough. Surely rare but worth a first point of call. Good call with the method if easyouts aren't at hand.

Comment

I've got a torx screw in one of the bases on my .30-06 that will not budge. They have been in for a few years, no loctite. The others are OK to remove just one stubborn one. Worried I may stuff it completely if I force it with the torx driver.

Any ideas?
      I'm in love with Jennifer Hawkins and Alessandra Ambrosio

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Sambar Country" post=6661
        I've got a torx screw in one of the bases on my .30-06 that will not budge. They have been in for a few years, no loctite. The others are OK to remove just one stubborn one. Worried I may stuff it completely if I force it with the torx driver.

Any ideas?
        impact driver probably one of the best ways to unstick them without stripping the hex or shearing the head off.

when you hit it, dont pussy foot around like you are slapping someone you need to belt it firmly with a hammer and preload counterclockwise before you hit it
    Working...
    X