Any "Gun Smokes" like Gun Smith in Australia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any "Gun Smokes" like Gun Smith in Australia?

Hey!

I was watching the TV show "American Guns" and they feature a gun smith called "Gun Smokes". These guys have some serious hardware. Computer controlled CNC mill that can make a frame from a block of alloy, etc.,

Just curious, do we have anyone who can fabricate a pistol from scratch in AU? Probably the market is too small but cool to know we have the know how.

I know some gunsmiths here who have built various firearms, including handguns, from scratch themselves. Not on a mass production level though.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing” - Edmund Burke

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Morgo" post=3447
      I know some gunsmiths here who have built various firearms, including handguns, from scratch themselves. Not on a mass production level though.
      Any particular gun smith you can name?

If I ever meet a gunsmith that has misses and daughter that looks like that I will be a daily customer

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Brent65" post=3509
      If I ever meet a gunsmith that has misses and daughter that looks like that I will be a daily customer
      LOL very true!

• Jason Lefty
      Jason Lefty commented
      Editing a comment
      Dunno mate I cant stop looking at how long there necks are.

• Sambar Country
      Sambar Country commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't know who you're talking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	paige-wyatt-american-guns.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	33307

Don't be fooled. American guns is actually a bit of a con. If you look carefully there's generally always a substitution. They'll mill up some block of steel, then show some rough milled out shape close to what they want, then all of a sudden they have a completed receiver and all the internals. I've seen this on every build.
    The lever gun they did (Season 1 Ep9 1866 yellow boy) was a classic example. They profile a block of brass to look like one, but skip all the complex internal milling (and probably broaching) operations. All of a sudden they have a complete rifle that looks suspiciously like a Uberti. I remember freeze framing and going to the Uberti website and the wood grain even matched.

In answer to your question - yes. Though I suspect that there probably been more illicit manufacturing than legit. STI 2011's are one that comes to mind.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Tornado-Technologies" post=3639
      Don't be fooled. American guns is actually a bit of a con. If you look carefully there's generally always a substitution. They'll mill up some block of steel, then show some rough milled out shape close to what they want, then all of a sudden they have a completed receiver and all the internals. I've seen this on every build.
      The lever gun they did (Season 1 Ep9 1866 yellow boy) was a classic example. They profile a block of brass to look like one, but skip all the complex internal milling (and probably broaching) operations. All of a sudden they have a complete rifle that looks suspiciously like a Uberti. I remember freeze framing and going to the Uberti website and the wood grain even matched.

In answer to your question - yes. Though I suspect that there probably been more illicit manufacturing than legit. STI 2011's are one that comes to mind.
      I can't say if Gun Smokes is 'TV Magic' or a real gun smith choosing not to show their trade secret... I am interested to know a fair dinkum gun smith in Australia who can really make a pistol (or even a long arm) from a block of steel. Can anyone name one? ...not that I want a hand made 1911 or whatever... totally just curious to see if we have that sort of gun smith in the country. It would be cool!!

Just in case you have not seen American Guns TV show, here is a link to one.

http://youtu.be/QicIruOt7xE

Comment

Andy from JPP I was told make a 1911 and machined parts including the frame etc.

There is an old gunsmith about 90+ in Nerang on the Gold Coast who made some SA wheel guns. He is still goiing.

Comment

• UberDouche
        UberDouche commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Guess" post=7644
        Andy from JPP I was told make a 1911 and machined parts including the frame etc.
        Andy imports Infinity frames, slides and other parts and fits them, he doesn't actually make them from scratch.

From what I understand, Owen Guns in Gympie used to manufacture a 1911 style of handgun.
      Somewhere he has pictures of various stages of the blank being milled.

just sayin'.

Comment

• sn@abrc
        [email protected] commented
        Editing a comment
        dont know who it was- but there is? or was? an Aussie company making polymer handguns at one time,
        They also made chronographs as well

stephen

Anyone with CAD/CAM programing experience and the proper license can make anything out of a block of steel.

http://kgcustom.webs.com/[b]

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Aussie44" post=19602
        Anyone with CAD/CAM programing experience and the proper license can make anything out of a block of steel.
        It doesn't need to be NC.
        In fact NC is only really any good for repetition work.

Any decent machinist can do it & as a one off, he would be able to do a better job. (with the correct licenses of course)
        The only machines required would be a Lathe, a Universal Mill & a vertical Slotter.
        A Surface grinder would be helpful too.
        Pretty std stuff for a machine shop.

The only difference being time.
        The NC takes a fair bit of time to get set up & the first couple of pieces out of the machine may not be within tolerance but once dialled in it can spit that same part out over & over, much, much faster than a manual machine.

We didn't always build bridges with Computers you know

All this ramble about NC this & NC that, shits me.
        Relative Dumbarses can operate an NC machine. (You just need a Machinist to program them).
        The real craftsman are becoming fewer & fewer to the determent of the bigger picture.

Jay Leno wrote an interesting Article for the magazine "Popular Mechanics" a few yrs ago about this subject, called Calling All machinists

Worth a read.

Mick.

Gunsmithing is a specialized form of tool making and we did have some very good tool makers in this country, we also have many good gunsmiths. I am certain many would be capable of making firearms of any type from scratch. We have barrel makes a very important firearm component of a firearm and with the progress in computer aided machining I would be astonished if our smiths could not achieve this task. Having said that we do not have the market for these type of firearms in Australia. The USA have 300 + million people50+ million in Canada and us 23 + million. So as you can see less than 1/10th market of the USA alone.

Comment

http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=31277

JH

Comment

here's a gunsmith starter kit, only $11k = http://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=33456

maybe the seller could help you out

Comment

Working...
          X