Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remington 700 Bolt Advice

May as well kick this section off.

I have never owned a Remington 700 Rifle until now and have this very modified Remington 700.

This started life as a Remington 700 .223R VSSF and was used very successfully in F-Class Standard then sent to Shane Clancy Gunsmithing to be turned into a Custom 6.5x47 Lapua with switch barrel 30BR. See my topic on 30BR.

As many might know Shane Clancy is near impossible to contact, bloody good Precision Gunsmith so can't get a rundown on the modifications. Knowing of Shane and his work a lot of effort would have gone into this project. For a start Bolt Face opened out from .223R to .308W.

So here is my request to anyone that has Remington 700 experience as an owner.

I'll include some photo's but what I believe is that the Remington 700 Bolt other than Firing Pin Assembly is 3 parts, the Bolt Handle which I believe is Brazed on and it looks like it, the main Bolt Body and then the Bolt Face which may / maynot also be Brazed on.

This Bolt Face looks like from what I can gather has had the Sako Extractor Modification done. It's a very strong extractor as with 6.5x47 Lapua Cases it quite strongly knocks the case neck against the rear of the chamber first then against the Action Port opening enough to leave two shiny marks on the very end of the case neck. I initially thought they were being marked buy hitting the chamber of feeding. 6602steven pointed this fact out when we were playing here.
    Maybe the spring needs to be lightened but it's no real issue as it just knocks the carbon off the case neck really.

But can someone confirm the change from factory Remington to Sako Extractor please.

Then there appears to be a step in the main bolt body just forward of the Bolt Handle which measures some 0.005" less than the forward section of the bolt body which looks to have been machined and is very shiny. Is this normal with a Remington 700 Bolt or is this another step in the customisation.

Thanks for looking and would appreciate your informed comments.

Now I own my first Remington 700. It's very accurate but it's also very modified and smooth to cycle. Just a pity they didn't come out of the factory like this.

May as well kick this section off.

I have never owned a Remington 700 Rifle until now and have this very modified Remington 700.

This started life as a Remington 700 .223R VSSF and was used very successfully in F-Class Standard then sent to Shane Clancy Gunsmithing to be turned into a Custom 6.5x47 Lapua with switch barrel 30BR. See my topic on 30BR.

As many might know Shane Clancy is near impossible to contact, bloody good Precision Gunsmith so can't get a rundown on the modifications. Knowing of Shane and his work a lot of effort would have gone into this project. For a start Bolt Face opened out from .223R to .308W.

So here is my request to anyone that has Remington 700 experience as an owner.

I'll include some photo's but what I believe is that the Remington 700 Bolt other than Firing Pin Assembly is 3 parts, the Bolt Handle which I believe is Brazed on and it looks like it, the main Bolt Body and then the Bolt Face which may / maynot also be Brazed on.

This Bolt Face looks like from what I can gather has had the Sako Extractor Modification done. It's a very strong extractor as with 6.5x47 Lapua Cases it quite strongly knocks the case neck against the rear of the chamber first then against the Action Port opening enough to leave two shiny marks on the very end of the case neck. I initially thought they were being marked buy hitting the chamber of feeding. 6602steven pointed this fact out when we were playing here.
    Maybe the spring needs to be lightened but it's no real issue as it just knocks the carbon off the case neck really.

But can someone confirm the change from factory Remington to Sako Extractor please.

Then there appears to be a step in the main bolt body just forward of the Bolt Handle which measures some 0.005" less than the forward section of the bolt body which looks to have been machined and is very shiny. Is this normal with a Remington 700 Bolt or is this another step in the customisation.

Thanks for looking and would appreciate your informed comments.

Now I own my first Remington 700. It's very accurate but it's also very modified and smooth to cycle. Just a pity they didn't come out of the factory like this.

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Wouldn't it be nice if the OP could close his own Topic when it went OFF TRACK....

New Forum...nothing has changed........

Guest commented
      Editing a comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      being a bit melodramatic are we I don't see how this has gone off track mega, we are discussing exactly what you asked and talking/posting opinions and experiences about the safety or as some believe the lack of in some instances of the mods done to your bolt.

AC, thanks. As suspected and yes I have read some warning about the Bolt Handle ....like Do Not Hit With A Hammer or it will break off.

Other means of attaching the Bolt Handle are certainly stronger.

Comment

• S12A
      S12A commented
      Editing a comment
      you can get a smith to drill and tap the are where the bolt handle attaches and run a short screw into the body which will be stronger

Should be ok now Mega
    [center]
    Don’t poke the snake, walk around it and come back later with a double-barrelled shotgun and blow its [email protected]#!ing head off!.

Australia in future, the outcome is the same, a bloody dictatorship run on the whims of a very few ego-centric pathological elitists.

Comment

• NoFerals
      NoFerals commented
      Editing a comment
      There appears to be a glitch with adding posts to this section --mods/admin are working on it.
      Thanks for your patience
      NF

The raised section in front of the bolt handle has been added to match internal dia of the reciever, to centre the bolt and help with a square lug lock up

Comment

• Pitty
      Pitty commented
      Editing a comment
      From what I've been told by a Brisbane gunsmith, in NO WAY would he do the sako mod to the 700 bolt.
      And if you insisted, you would need to sign a waver. Something about the gas port & the bang out the wrong end of the Barrel.
      Its a mod that the yanks started & its giving grief!!!!!
Working...
X