Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed-installing new front sight on Uberti 1873 rifle dovetail

Hi guys and gals,

I'm having trouble installing a replacement front sight into my Uberti 1873 rifle.

I bought a PGW Speed Sight and its dovetail seems to be too big to fit into the barrel dovetail. The factory sight came out very easy as it's obviously undersized and they use a grub screw to keep it in place. When I try to install the Speed Sight using a brass-faced hammer I can see deformation in both the barrel dovetail and the Speed Sight dovetail. Obviously it's meant to be an interference fit but this seems a little extreme if there's this much deformation.

Here's a few pics of what I mean:

Circled is the deformed dovetail slot.

Circled is the deformed sight dovetail compared to the factory sight.

I'm using a Lyman brass-faced hammer. Am I meant to use something else?

Note: I installed a Marbles flat top rear sight and it went in with a bit of force but neither the sight or barrel deformed.

Thanks.

Hi T.O.L,
    Dovetails are normally cut with a very slight taper. This means that they are meant to knocked out one way and back in from the same side. Without finding where I read this, if you have a vernier, measure the base of the sight at both side extremities, one side will be slightly smaller than the other. This is the side that needs to be inserted first. If it is still too tight then you will have to use a file on the sight. A few thou can make it very tight to tap in. It needs to be fairly tight to stop it moving if bumped.
    Regards
    Les

Comment

• TheOtherLeft
      TheOtherLeft commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by LuckyLes" post=46748
      Hi T.O.L,
      Dovetails are normally cut with a very slight taper.
      Yes there's a very slight taper from the right hand side. I've tried both sides and no joy

Looks like you need a triangular file and a bit of elbow grease.
    Les

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Chuck the front side upside down in a safe jawed bias, held by the sight blade. Use a good needle file that is tapered, and swipe each side. Remove, try and fit.repeat until it will go in firm.

Go easy and maintain the angle.

Always work the cheapest part, in this case, front sight, as opposed the barrel.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by LuckyLes" post=46765
      Looks like you need a triangular file and a bit of elbow grease.
      Les
      I was just looking at the Marbles Tang sights then read this post.

http://www.marblearms.com/standardPeepTang_info.html

Cheers Macca.

Put sight in the freezer it may shrink slightly

Comment

Working...
    X